Your favourite sentence in ASLRB?

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Been re-reading the rules. Today I stumbled into my favourite sentence of the whole book: "Bocage is a one-level LOS obstacle with a difference".

As a non-native English language speaker I thought it would be... an one-level LOS obstacle...

But grammar aside after all these years this sentence distills all the difficulties I've had grasping Bocage and WA rules. And that's why I am reading them once again....

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ah English, such a consistent language.
Of course you would expect it to an "an" here but since "one" is pronounced "won", the use of "an" here would REALLY jar.

It's a bit like "an Hotel". looks very odd written down but when spoken runs properly.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
C 2.2401 GUN DUELS: Vs a non-concealed, non-Aerial DEFENDERS’s declared Defensive First Fire attack on it , a vehicle may attemp to Bounding First Fire (D3.3) its MA (/other-FP including passenger FP/SW) at that DEFENDER first, provided the vehicle need not change CA, is not conducting an OVR (D7.1), it’s total Gun Duel DRM (i.e., its total Firer-Based [5.] and Acquistion [6.5] TH DRM for its potential shot) is < that of the DEFENDER, and the DEFENDER’s attack is not Reaction Fire (D7.2).

Last edited:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
"Whenever a seeming contradiction occurs between rule cases, the higher alphanumeric rule case (e.g. E1. is a higher number rule than A2.) always take precedence, barring mention of a specific exception."

The fact that we need this rule is kindof horrifying. The fact that we actually very rarely need this rule is incredibly impressive.

ColinJ

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A8.15, in either the 1st Ed. RB or possibly the 2nd Ed. before the 2000 replacement pages, specifically the reference to "snap-snots". A great typo we had a good chuckle over.

Do you mean sentence or paragraph, with the RB it is often the same thing?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A4.11: "A MF cannot be transferred between units nor can it be accumulated from turn to turn."

An oldie but a goodie, contained in just about every wargame since the beginning of time.

Competely ruins my strategy of sitting still the whole game and then zooming all over the place to win on the last turn.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
A26.11 Gaining Control: ... During play, a side gains Control of a Location/hex/building by occupying it with an armed Good Order Infantry MMC without the presence of an armed enemy ground unit [EXC: subterranean units] in that same Location/hex/building (see also 26.13-.14 for hex/building Control).

The usage of the virgule (/ which means and/or) makes this even harder to unpack. It should be properly written as 3 separate sentences. Sure, they would be redundant, but they would be clear.

A26.12 VEHICULAR CONTROL: An armed, non-bypassing vehicle temporarily gains Control of the Location it presently occupies if that Location is devoid of armed enemy units. Control immediately reverts to its prior status (either un-Controlled or enemy-Controlled) if the vehicle leaves the Location. A vehicle which Controls the only Location in a hex also Controls that hex.

Of course, you can control the hex, and the only Location in the Hex, except if it's a building, you don't control the building.

24.8 OUTGOING LOS HINDRANCES: Regardless of the type of SMOKE placed or the method by which it is placed, SMOKE is always more effective in obscuring the view/fire of units inside the SMOKE Location than units outside the SMOKE Location firing into it. Any LOS/non-Residual-fire which is traced out of or within (not through or into) a SMOKE Location must add +1 Hindrance DRM (to its IFT or To Hit DR if a fire attack) in addition to the normal effects of that SMOKE.

So if you're outside the Pillbox, it's +4, but if you're in a Pillbox, it's only +3. Apparently, a Pillbox isn't in the Smoke's Location like you are. -- jim

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A4.11: "A MF cannot be transferred between units nor can it be accumulated from turn to turn."

An oldie but a goodie, contained in just about every wargame since the beginning of time.

Competely ruins my strategy of sitting still the whole game and then zooming all over the place to win on the last turn.
Is it Panzer Pranks that allows you to steal unused MP from your opponent?

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been re-reading the rules. Today I stumbled into my favourite sentence of the whole book: "Bocage is a one-level LOS obstacle with a difference".

As a non-native English language speaker I thought it would be... an one-level LOS obstacle...

But grammar aside after all these years this sentence distills all the difficulties I've had grasping Bocage and WA rules. And that's why I am reading them once again....
A” is used before words starting in consonant sounds and “an” is used before words starting with vowel sounds. It doesn't matter if the word is an adjective, a noun, an adverb, or anything else; the rule is exactly the same.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"As long as it reaches that hex during a single RtPh, it need not use the shortest route, but as long as it follows the shortest path in MF otherwise, it may enter a shellhole/entrenchment/pillbox to avoid Interdiction even if it can no longer reach that woods/building hex in a single RtPh." WHAT?o_O:unsure:??

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
A8.1 FIRST FIRE. The portion occurring during the enemy MPh is called Defensive First Fire and can only be used vs a moving unit(s) - although it can also effect the terrain in the hex.

A key rule to the dynamics of the game.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
D2.11 - "A vehicle must move within its current VCA as it enters each new hex [EXC: Reverse Movement]."

Aside from the Captain Obvious ending, know why this is in the rules? Because 1st edition Squad Leader in 1977 had no prohibition on tanks moving sideways so as to always present a front facing to an enemy unit perpendicular to their path of travel. Which resulted in rule-lawyering idiots making a point of moving their tanks sideways simply because the rules permitted it, or rather, didn't specifically prohibit it.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
"A unit may jump from an upper building level only if the building depiction is within a counter edge width from the cliff/water depiction."
I played a game recently where masses of Americans were swarming around in the street, trying to get into a heavily fortified building. The Japanese defender had a DC Hero on the 3rd floor, and we both agreed that the rules really should allow him to jump out a window and detonate just before he hit the ground :LOL:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia

It's been a while since I checked, it might even have been back in the days of 1st edition, but I have an idea (possibly mistaken) that nowhere in the rules does it say that when you expend MF or MP to enter a new hex, that the new hex you enter must be adjacent to the hex that you're leaving. :p