Not open for further replies.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Without having checked more closely, seems to be an early Sherman with a meat chopper mounted under armor. Probably you would be choking due to the fumes within caused by firing the thing...

von Marwitz
It was never operational, more to the lack of targets than the design of the vehicle. Based on the Canadian Grizzly (domestic copy of M4A1) of which 188 were produced.

So technically, not a Sherman.

Harms

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am not sure that is an effective paint scheme with a target clearly visible for enemies to use.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Canadian Skink AA based on the Grizzly chassis, itself a Canadian version of the M4A1. The most visibly noticeable difference was the use of Canadian Dry Pin tracks and a new drive sprocket. The CDP tracks were fitted to reduce the demand for scarce rubber as Malaya had fallen to the Japanese.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Canadian Skink AA based on the Grizzly chassis, itself a Canadian version of the M4A1. The most visibly noticeable difference was the use of Canadian Dry Pin tracks and a new drive sprocket. The CDP tracks were fitted to reduce the demand for scarce rubber as Malaya had fallen to the Japanese.
Last seen in Band of Brothers when the 2nd Armored attacked Bloody Gulch mounted in Canadian tanks....

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Finnish police Sisu armoured car, well sort of, kind of. Done as a competitor of the Landsverk L182 it had a similarly shaped turret and same armament (1 x 13.2mm and 2 x 7.62mm MG). Postwar it was handed over to the army who removed the body and used it's chassis to make a crane truck, the chassis eventually was scrapped. The armoured body was discarded and eventually rediscovered in '93 and mounted on a modern truck chassis in '97. The solid rubber tyre wheels apparently came from a captured Soviet 152mm artillery piece. So the shell is real, the chassis modern and I have no idea about internal fittings, if any.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It was never operational, more to the lack of targets than the design of the vehicle. Based on the Canadian Grizzly (domestic copy of M4A1) of which 188 were produced.

So technically, not a Sherman.
It did see combat, but in a ground-attack mode. It made the rounds of all (but one?) Canadian infantry units in NWEurope.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Coventry armoured car, an intended British replacement for the Daimler armoured car with 3 man turret. Only 220 Mk I produced with 2lbr gun. The Mk II was intended to carry the 75mm QF but with only a 2 man turret, akin to the Crusader I/II vs III evolution.

Handfuls used in '45 in Germany and 40 sold to France and used in Vietnam by 5th Cuirassiers.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It did see combat, but in a ground-attack mode. It made the rounds of all (but one?) Canadian infantry units in NWEurope.
Units? Or divisions? There were 3 infantry divisions, which seems likely. Each division had 14 or so "units" (9 rifle battalions, a machine gun battalion, three brigade HQ defence platoons, and a divisional defence platoon - that's a lot of units!)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Actually, never mind, I pulled out Roger Lucy's book on the Skink. 4th Canadian Armoured Division requested it be trialled in Europe. Between Feb and Mar 1945 it visited a number of armoured (not infantry) regiments - 6 CAR, 10 CAR, 27 CAR, 22 CAR, 21 CAR and 29 CARR (armoured recce). It never shot at an airplane (the crew did see one - once - but weren't in the vehicle as it flew over), but as noted, was used in ground combat.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Coventry armoured car, an intended British replacement for the Daimler armoured car with 3 man turret. Only 220 Mk I produced with 2lbr gun. The Mk II was intended to carry the 75mm QF but with only a 2 man turret, akin to the Crusader I/II vs III evolution.

Handfuls used in '45 in Germany and 40 sold to France and used in Vietnam by 5th Cuirassiers.
Yes, but do we have a counter and scenarios for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.