So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The basic idea of Subterranean Quarry was great, only insufficiantly fine-tuned (but no criticism, the scenario is age-old).

Nevertheless I prefer this scenario a hundred times more than a scenario with cave rules. :D

Imagine a HASL on Iwojima/Okinawa with two mapsheets (1 above ground, 1 under ground), with a more diversified underground terrain, known openings, a few HIP shafts and a battle raging above- and under- ground.:love:

Last edited:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
We are taking an involuntary break from our big Operation Hubertus game because of some curfew and contact restrictions and are playing RB7 The Red House over VASSAL instead. For diversion, I play the Russians this time, and my men just can't pass MCs. To compensate, they win all the CCs, so not all is yet lost. Problem is: It's night, they don't rally, and I've already lost a leader.
I had to remind my opponent that the Germans get reinforcement, so the game continued to the very last CC. And the trend continued: I couldn't pass MCs (slight exaggeration, I passed a few, but at times had 7 or 8 broken squads scattered around the map), but I won almost all CCs. I had a lot of berserkers, too, and they all destroyed their target. I even managed to rally quite a few squads, although it took the lone 7-0 doing the job quite some time. But in the end, I broke one time too often, I had four buildings left and the Germans could advance into one of them with three squads and the 9-2, and they finally managed to win a CC, so I lost the game.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
BFP 111 Before the Blunder.
I had the Germans, vs. Commissar Piotr who had the Poles.
The Germans brushed off most attacks and managed to hit hard the Poles, which were unlucky on their side.
The battle was over at the end of Turn 4 - of 6.
Even though I played well, the scenario seems to favour the Germans.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP 111 Before the Blunder.
I had the Germans, vs. Commissar Piotr who had the Poles.
The Germans brushed off most attacks and managed to hit hard the Poles, which were unlucky on their side.
The battle was over at the end of Turn 4 - of 6.
Even though I played well, the scenario seems to favour the Germans.
I believe if the Poles put a reasonable Combat outpost forward (1/4-1/3 of the force) and utilize a timely withdrawal, the PBs on the hill and behind the ponds using rotating concealed stacks can stimie a concerted German drive long enough to eek out a victory. JMHO as that's what I did.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I remember prepping this scenario for a tournament, we found it completely unwinnable for the Poles against a decent setup of the Pillboxes.

Not a lot of fun for the German to play, either. A bit of a lemon-flavoured dog.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I remember prepping this scenario for a tournament, we found it completely unwinnable for the Poles against a decent setup of the Pillboxes.

Not a lot of fun for the German to play, either. A bit of a lemon-flavoured dog.
I like lemon-flavored dog. Takes the edge off the musk.

The ROAR record at 26-19 doesn't seem overwhelmingly pro-German. Do that many people not know how to set up pillboxes? (I know I struggle with it, but thought I was uniquely inept at it).

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My impression is that the scenario is not that bad in terms of balance, though i have a preference for the Polish side. The fun factor is however a bit on the low side so i am not sure i want to play it.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland

Just a precision : it is the Poles who have the Pillboxes.
The German progression is quite chanelled (marsh and a pond on their right, stretches of open ground on their left), but they can amass a lot of FP and they do have time to get upon the Poles quite fast - the latter only have woods to defend (excepted the pillboxes).
I would say that this scenario will finish with close quarters fighting around the three (only) building objectives - which means a rather high luck factor deciding the issue.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States

My impression is that the scenario is not that bad in terms of balance, though i have a preference for the Polish side. The fun factor is however a bit on the low side so i am not sure i want to play it.
I'm bummed you guys both say it's no fun, because it's fun when good players want opposite sides.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm bummed you guys both say it's no fun, because it's fun when good players want opposite sides.
I think I mixed things up, not sure anymore which side we thought it favored. We did think it was no fun at all and scratched it from our tournament preferences.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like lemon-flavored dog. Takes the edge off the musk.

The ROAR record at 26-19 doesn't seem overwhelmingly pro-German. Do that many people not know how to set up pillboxes? (I know I struggle with it, but thought I was uniquely inept at it).
Literally it's only 2,3 Polish wins from being at the farcical 'balance' point.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Literally it's only 2,3 Polish wins from being at the farcical 'balance' point.
Yep. Just if Peter thinks it's overwhelmingly pro-German, made me wonder if the Polish wins were just because a bunch of people don't know how to set up pillboxes. Every time I think I've figured it out, I mess it up, that's for sure.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a precision : it is the Poles who have the Pillboxes.
The German progression is quite chanelled (marsh and a pond on their right, stretches of open ground on their left), but they can amass a lot of FP and they do have time to get upon the Poles quite fast - the latter only have woods to defend (excepted the pillboxes).
I would say that this scenario will finish with close quarters fighting around the three (only) building objectives - which means a rather high luck factor deciding the issue.
Some people call that balance.;)?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I played J181 THE DEADLY LINE in preparation for CASLO 24 in May. The scenario has Russians with 5 T34 and 2 OT34 attacking second rate Japanese during 1945. A unique item is that the Japanese have 12 THH given in their OB that must start HIP; no other THH can be generated during the game. I had the Russians. I couldn't get it through my head to keep my tanks in open ground. Drive through a brush hex, find a THH, lose tank. I did that three times. By the third turn, I had lost too many tanks to meet the victory conditions. I'm a little surprised that ROAR had this scenario at 12 Russian wins to 6 Japanese wins before our match.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I played J181 THE DEADLY LINE in preparation for CASLO 24 in May. The scenario has Russians with 5 T34 and 2 OT34 attacking second rate Japanese during 1945. A unique item is that the Japanese have 12 THH given in their OB that must start HIP; no other THH can be generated during the game. I had the Russians. I couldn't get it through my head to keep my tanks in open ground. Drive through a brush hex, find a THH, lose tank. I did that three times. By the third turn, I had lost too many tanks to meet the victory conditions. I'm a little surprised that ROAR had this scenario at 12 Russian wins to 6 Japanese wins before out match.
Did Bruno HIP any of his MMC?

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Recent VASL playings...

BFP 95 Obian Highway, as the attacking Germans. A company-sized infantry force, supported by a mix of PzIII and PzIV, attacks a village defended by a small infantry force with a dug-in T-70, and some T34s and Valentines come to the rescue.

Very nice scenario; I ended up winning, coming back, mostly through a lot of good luck, from a very bad beginning where I lost a PzIV, the Soviet created a leader, and about half of my infantry was broken (or worse) by a single LMG fire lane.

FrF 23 Elephants Unleashed, as the defending Russians

A very small Russian infantry force, with some fortifications, tries to stop the Germans, with three Elephants, one PzIV, two PzIII and a lot of infantry, from either taking a hamlet or crossing the board - with some generous reinforcements in the form of 5 T34M43s, 2 SU-152, and some Assault Engineers.

The Germans tried to setup on a broad front, mostly going for building control but keeping the possibility of exiting. My initial infantry OB was badly mauled; only a single squad was unbroken when my reinforcements reached them. On my left flank, I was lucky enough to break most of the infantry, leaving the German armor unsupported. The German commander still tried to move it forward, keeping his Elephant with the 9-2 Armor leader behind the only upper level building where he had done a lot of harm to my initial defenders. Still, this proved to be a mistake; the superior mobility of the T34s (and a bit of luck with TK rolls) allowed me to get side shots on the slower, non-turreted Elephants, while putting the rest into good positions to defend the village. With half of his AFVs lost and part of his infantry still broken, the German player conceded on turn 4.

Again, nice scenario, though probably not easy to manage for my opponent who's just getting back into the game and still has some armor tricks to learn (or, at least, there are some that I learned before he did).

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Played WO16 Wildcat Strike last night vs Jeff Donigian in the MMP COVID tourney. My Americans were able to take care of business mostly due to Jeff being pretty new to PTO and one of my Shermans dropping multiple CHs on defending infantry (he accounted for 2.5 SEs and a leader before meeting his fate on AT mines). I really like the map and VCs on this one. The wrinkles in the VCs to motivate the Americans to both clear the Japanese on a broad front and yet still have to keep moving is very efficient with a minimum of bookkeeping.