DINANT

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Got mine via Gamer's Armo(u)ry on Wednesday. Will be setting up the CG this evening to start running through the 'flow' of the rules. The Rommel rule has me concerned as the German may be forced into 'gamey' anti-sniper defences to avoid the damage caused by Rommel's loss.

Cuz' we all know who the French sniper will be stalking. :unsure:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got mine via Gamer's Armo(u)ry on Wednesday. Will be setting up the CG this evening to start running through the 'flow' of the rules. The Rommel rule has me concerned as the German may be forced into 'gamey' anti-sniper defences to avoid the damage caused by Rommel's loss.

The Germans don't have that much infantry to burn for such things. Early on the French don't get much infantry but they get plenty later on. The Germans get a decent amount but not an overwhelming amount. It's the armor they get a lot of.

phlegm027

Reaction score

you have to find him first. Usually a lot of activity around.him. I think he was KIA in all our games he’s been KIA’s once or twice. Wounded a few times though.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Here's a question.

If Rommel (Gandalf the Feldgrau) uses one of his special (spell casting) abilities in LOS of a known (or temporarily revealed) French unit, does he lose concealment? Assumption is yes even though he may not be in the same hex as the unit carrying out the Kindling, Pushing, Ferry Pully Line actions.

Btw,... it has been determined I will be the French so now I have to figure out what to do with 8 CPP for the 13 May morning CG Date (and 20 CPP for the afternoon). Considering the timing, infantry RG are not available until the evening so the choices are limited. RG O3 (100+ OBA ) for the morning isn't possible because of CG9 and by afternoon OBA may not be worth it due to progressive increases in red chits for battery fire missions. This really only leaves 80+ Bn Mor OBA for 6 CPP, a bit expensive (save 2 CPP?), or two M1 RG (4 CPP each) and hope for at least one infantry/cavalry platoon.

I'm not even sure spending much of the 20 CPP for the afternoon is wise, other than for additional M1 RGs. Having an extremely large CPP pool for the evening and an Attack Chit might be the trick for a truly massive counterattack. :unsure:

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's a question.

If Rommel (Gandalf the Feldgrau) uses one of his special (spell casting) abilities in LOS of a known (or temporarily revealed) French unit, does he lose concealment? Assumption is yes even though he may not be in the same hex as the unit carrying out the Kindling, Pushing, Ferry Pully Line actions.

Btw,... it has been determined I will be the French so now I have to figure out what to do with 8 CPP for the 13 May morning CG Date (and 20 CPP for the afternoon). Considering the timing, infantry RG are not available until the evening so the choices are limited. RG O3 (100+ OBA ) for the morning isn't possible because of CG9 and by afternoon OBA may not be worth it due to progressive increases in red chits for battery fire missions. This really only leaves 80+ Bn Mor OBA for 6 CPP, a bit expensive (save 2 CPP?), or two M1 RG (4 CPP each) and hope for at least one infantry/cavalry platoon.

I'm not even sure spending much of the 20 CPP for the afternoon is wise, other than for additional

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, if in LOS it would be an "other activity" for concealment loss. It represents the staff running around keeping things rolling as well as Rommel himself.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's a question.

I have the opposite question. I've drawn the Germans, What to buy with the 30CPP? Has anybody who has PT'd or started this CG bought pontoon sections the first day/scenario.......all the thoughts I have is that they are going to be easy pickings for the French mortars, MG's and INF; so don't buy them until you've got a foothold across the river using boats, but you've got to start building at some point and buying them the first scenario will allow you to get them into position for quick building scenario #2.

So I guess the question is do you buy any pontoon sections that first day?

phlegm027

Reaction score
Buy the ferries on the first day.

Most of The bridge building takes place in the night scenario so you want to have the bridges down by the river at the end of the 2nd CG period. Have Rommel and every Assault ready to start building as soon as it gets dark

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I have the opposite question. I've drawn the Germans, What to buy with the 30CPP?...<snip>
Yielding well deserved weight to phlegm027's experience I think a German player has to ensure he can shoot his infantry over the river as quickly as possible and gouge out a bridgehead with as much depth as possible. The French have a battalion of infantry with a good assortment of HW, Ordnance and may have two batteries of OBA with a 6R/2B draw pile. That said, they don't know where the German's main assault will hit and this will disperse their defence to some degree.

The Germans have plenty of firepower as well in their at start HW (4 x HMG and 2 x MMG) and OBA but the AE are needed for both the assault and for the ferries and pully lines. I like a Raft Sec to ensure replacement boats are available for the afternoon CG Date, a G5 Mortar section for potential Smoke, and a V6 Hvy AC platoon. The 6 PSW 231 have nice MG and IFE numbers for attacking soft targets and can engage any French AC that come in as reinforcement.

That's 18 CPP.

11 more CPP could bring in an 8-ton Pontoon Sec that could hide until it is safe to move to the river. Save the last CPP for the afternoon(?).

If no Pontoon section is bought until the afternoon the last 12 CPP could bring in another infantry coy (10 CPP) with 2 CPP saved or a HW1 Section for additional M/HMGs for 5 CPP with 7 CPP left over to add to the 70 CPP in the afternoon.

Then again, if going for firepower the HW1 and Hvy ACs could be exchanged for a V5 pltn that comes with a mix of six tanks and a good variety of HE, IFE and MG firepower.

:unsure: ?

Lots of choices but I haven't played the CG yet so my view may be way off target.

Last edited:

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not even sure spending much of the 20 CPP for the afternoon is wise, other than for additional M1 RGs. Having an extremely large CPP pool for the evening and an Attack Chit might be the trick for a truly massive counterattack. :unsure:
Per 4.609 "...The French player will purchase RG for the CG Date following the one about to be played and can never retain more than 2 CPP unused for the next RePh; any excess French CPP over 2 are lost. …" So you have to spend 18 or else you lose them.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per 4.609 "...The French player will purchase RG for the CG Date following the one about to be played and can never retain more than 2 CPP unused for the next RePh; any excess French CPP over 2 are lost. …" So you have to spend 18 or else you lose them.
Two can be carried, the rest can't, exactly.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dinant is one, what are the other two?
Vinkt from CH which is pretty cool (in the middle of it now actually) some good fashioned old school SL, no bullshit no frills (few toys, SSR, vehicles or ordnance) infantry v infantry action between German and Belgian forces. Really pretty map of the Belgian countryside and the scenarios interesting and so far fun to play.

the other as others noted is the LCP Race for the Meuse

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Oh-ho!! Missed that one. Thanks gents. I'll let the general know.

? <---motorcycle courier

Excusez-moi, général Duffet.

Oui, caporal

Erm,...Le haut commandement indique que nous devons utiliser tous les CPP sauf deux pour chaque ensemble de renforts. Nous perdrions plus de points qui ne sont pas utilisés

Quel? Est-ce ainsi. Laissez-moi vérifier le manuel…

? <<flip-flip-flip-flip>>

Mon Dieu, c’est tellement. Calice!... Eh bien, cela complique les choses....

Qu’il en soit ainsi. Nous allons engager les chars avec tout le soutien que nous pouvons rassembler. D'accord?

Oui, d'accord, mon general.

"So be it..." Actually,... after thinking about it for a moment the general was quite sanguine about the whole thing.

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
90 bucks for an untested product? You gotta be on some serious drugs if you pull the trigger on that sort of price.

Vinkt from CH which is pretty cool (in the middle of it now actually) some good fashioned old school SL, no bullshit no frills (few toys, SSR, vehicles or ordnance) infantry v infantry action between German and Belgian forces. Really pretty map of the Belgian countryside and the scenarios interesting and so far fun to play.

the other as others noted is the LCP Race for the Meuse

phlegm027

Reaction score
Yielding well deserved weight to phlegm027's experience I think a German player has to ensure he can shoot his infantry over the river as quickly as possible and gouge out a bridgehead with as much depth as possible. The French have a battalion of infantry with a good assortment of HW, Ordnance and may have two batteries of OBA with a 6R/2B draw pile. That said, they don't know where the German's main assault will hit and this will disperse their defence to some degree.

The Germans have plenty of firepower as well in their at start HW (4 x HMG and 2 x MMG) and OBA but the AE are needed for both the assault and for the ferries and pully lines. I like a Raft Sec to ensure replacement boats are available for the afternoon CG Date, a G5 Mortar section for potential Smoke, and a V6 Hvy AC platoon. The 6 PSW 231 have nice MG and IFE numbers for attacking soft targets and can engage any French AC that come in as reinforcement.

That's 18 CPP.

11 more CPP could bring in an 8-ton Pontoon Sec that could hide until it is safe to move to the river. Save the last CPP for the afternoon(?).

If no Pontoon section is bought until the afternoon the last 12 CPP could bring in another infantry coy (10 CPP) with 2 CPP saved or a HW1 Section for additional M/HMGs for 5 CPP with 7 CPP left over to add to the 70 CPP in the afternoon.

Then again, if going for firepower the HW1 and Hvy ACs could be exchanged for a V5 pltn that comes with a mix of six tanks with a good mix of HE, IFE and MG firepower.

:unsure: ?

Lots of choices but I haven't played the CG yet so my view may be way off target.
There are a couple of things you HAVE to do on the first CG date

1. The infantry group that starts Have to move quickly down through the Sand heap down the south reentrant. The 5 squads that start down along the river can’t hold the Germans without help.

2. Start to think about establishing strong points that can interdict the German Exit roads. This is where the CG will be won or lost.

3. Also both sides need to think about the rule concerning HMG/MMG’s stacking together for sniper effects. This can be very annoying when the enemy sniper starts knocking off your MG crews and leaders.

The French are the tougher of the two sides to play. But I like to play them because of the challenges they face.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There are a couple of things you HAVE to do on the first CG date

1. The infantry group that starts Have to move quickly down through the Sand heap down the south reentrant. The 5 squads that start down along the river can’t hold the Germans without help.
Not to be picky, but I think you are talking about DN3, not the CG here. More likely that I have missed something, but you know what they say about broken clocks...