So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jeff DY and I, my erstwhile travel partner and I and FTF opponent for 31 years are going to make up for NOT going to the ASL Open by playing 2 times a week FTF and playing off of the play list from Chicago. We have 2 down, we are 1 and 1. We play tomorrow ie Friday the 20th...Armor at Kumchon? I think that's it. I get to be the UN player.....
Curtis & I are doing a very similar thing. We are throwing around a possibility of a me-no-monie-mini in Menomonie, WI at his church cafeteria area (may not be in use anyway) for 4 to 6 of us (if we can get "earthpig" Steve Hicks to come out of ASL isolation).

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had the great pleasure of playing Steve Anderson in HF6 Jackpot Jones on VASL. I had the defending Americans and Steve the dastardly Wehrmacht. This was my fourth Hatten scenario and, like the others, did not disappoint.

I won’t go into all the scenario particulars, but can say the Germans need to capture building locations. Steve pushed his infantry en masse from the east into the center of the American defensive perimeter. The interesting part of the battle was the armor fight. The three tanks (2 x PzIV 1 x Panther) followed the infantry lead. However, the 3 x SPW 250s entered from the north (hex A20) – essentially the Ami left flank. I had anticipated he wanted to use them to get into the Ami backfield – it’s exactly what I would have done. Steve indeed swept one HT to flank from the “rear” to cause problems and divide the Ami defense. It was dispatched by a HIP Hellcat + -1 AL in E25. The other two HTs thought better of it and beat it north to join the main thrust. The same Hellcat took out another HT in/near H17. Early on had 2 x HTs and their passenger 247/lmgs eliminated and the direct threat to the American rear was neutralized.

“In town” the Germans shimmy up to assault “The Fort” and send a few HS to probe the defense. Some ineffective American FP and CC ensues and in the end, a 346 and a 247 are eliminated. The two HS that eliminated the 346 in The Fort eat a 20+2 in the next Ami prep fire phase and are broken.

Back to the armor battle, a 346 zooks the third HT on its start MP. In the meantime, the Panther had malfed its MA on an AdvF acq shot, but repaired a turn later. After some consideration, I decide to take a risk. The E25 Hellcat moves to takes up residence in B24 behind the wall with a LOS to a PzIV in C21. The panzer fires and misses. I acq up in AdvF and miss. In the next German prep he PzIV takes a shot and misses, then IFs into the wall with a 2,2. The return Hellcat shot finds steel and KOs the PzIV.

Meanwhile, in the village the Germans have struggled to gain a foothold. With several broken squads and two German turns remaining, it was pretty unlikely the requisite building locations could be taken. All American squads were in GO and had only lost a 346. The German commander called off the attack. Hatten would go quiet…for now…

Note: the other two HIP Hellcats were in M20 and N20.

A great scenario! This scenario felt extremely tight and sat at 25-25 on ROAR prior to our playing. I had favorable dice; Steve, not so much. The American infantry feel brittle and I could see this scenario going down to the final CC very often. Hatten is an amazing HASL. Great, tightly contested scenarios that are very playable. The rubble generation can always provide twists, the map is beautiful and really gives a favor of the cold winter conditions. Finally, take all of this and pair it with a wonderful opponent like Steve and you have what ASL is all about. Many thanks to Steve for a great game.

Last edited:

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Played couple of scenarios recently:

HF5 Graveyard Shift I was the German and my brother Teemu, who just finished the Hatten GC was attacking. I screwed up my setup as I did not realize the impact of the Railroad- on the other hand my brother had a good idea how it should be done. Had some amazing luck which dragged it into last turn but lost anyway. It is not unbalanced but there is a learning curve for the German for sure- any game plan resulting 75L guns to be pushed into new positions under fire are not going to be success. Also my brother simply had a better understanding how the station area of the Haten map wouldplay out.

Second one was BFP105 The Winter City. The BFP-K map had some interesting terrain. The L4 hill on the Slovar right/Polish is the obviously easier location to defend. I was the attacking Slovaks. Rami set up quite evenly spread out. I attacked with a strong point to the left hoping to clear the area on the Slovak left and then envelope the L4 hill area from two sides.

Early on I got a lucky break as my sniper killed Polish leader on the Slovak left side and as my attack on this side was stronger the Poles folded and I got to attack against L4 area from two sides. The game was over on the second last turn. If I was to pay the pole I would make strong defense around L4 Hill and only a token force would be on the Slovak left/pole right side. Again a nice medium sized scenario from PiF.

Last edited:

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a scenario that is on many Must Play lists and from what I've read online, considered by many as a classic, A60 Totsugeki! It didn't disappoint. However, let me say that I feel if the Japanese player isn't experienced with the unique qualities that they possess, they probably will have a tough go at this one. Lots of tough terrain to cover in a short amount of time. Having said that, I am not a great Japanese player but I've played enough scenarios with them to make a decent show of it. Stuck in the middle with Chinese concealments everywhere, I used many banzai attacks to clear the way. With two of the three guns that needed to be taken out of commission down, I set up for my final attack on the last gun. Both sides were very beat up by turn 6 (of 6.5). I consolidated my men, concealed them, and made my last push on the last half turn. A DC hero wounded which left him with too few MF left to get to the gun, but he and the squad that generated him did cause the men guarding and stacked with the gun to lose concealment. Three assault moves from different directions allowed me to keep concealment for two of the three groups. The gun missed a PB shot so I jumped into CC at 1-1 odds. I knew I had to get the ambush for an outright win, and thanks to being concealed, I got it. Needing to roll an eight for the win I rolled a...NINE! CR which wasn't enough to take out everybody in the hex. Great ending, but oh so close. Easy to see why there are almost 400 recorded playings in ROAR. Need I say it? Recommended.

Last edited:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Played a scenario that is on many Must Play lists and from what I've read online, considered by many as a classic, A60 Totsugeki! It didn't disappoint. However, let me say that I feel if the Japanese player isn't experienced with the unique qualities that they possess, they probably will have a tough go at this one. Lots of tough terrain to cover in a short amount of time. Having said that, I am not a great Japanese player but I've played enough scenarios with them to make a decent show of it. Stuck in the middle with Chinese concealments everywhere, I used many banzai attacks to clear the way. With two of the three guns that needed to be taken out of commission down, I set up for my final attack on the last gun. Both sides were very beat up by turn 6 (of 6.5). I consolidated my men, concealed them, and made my last push on the last half turn. A DC hero wounded which left him with too few MF left to get to the gun, but he and the squad that generated him did cause the men guarding and stacked with the gun to lose concealment. Three assault moves from different directions allowed me to keep concealment for two of the three groups. The gun missed a PB shot so I jumped into CC at 1-1 odds. I knew I had to get the ambush for an outright win, and thanks to being concealed, I got it. Needing to roll an eight for the win I rolled a...NINE! CR which wasn't enough to take out everybody in the hex. Great ending, but oh so close. Easy to see why there are almost 400 recorded playings in ROAR. Need I say it? Recommended.
Steve A and I concluded my first ever playing of this last week. It is really fun. "Disable the gun(s)" is a favorite ASL scenario sub-genre of mine, no idea how I'd missed this.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Last Sunday I visited Sami Pelkonen for FtF session (this seems to be the last one for a while as the limitations for movement get worse every day...) and we were inspired by the recent release of CdG and decided to play ASL 82 For Honor Alone. This one has not seen changes in the new edition, it has a solid reputation and for whatever reason neither of us managed to play it during its 28 years of existence.

I was the German. Sami set up heavily on the woods in board 19, I decided to ignore them and contain them with my 50mm/and 81 mm mortars. I set up most of my at start force into board 16 grainfieds. The bigger victory building had the 9-2 and most of the MGs. I managed to smoke the building and 2 first turns I approached the bigger victory building through the grainfield. On turn 3 prep my 9-2 led MG stack and 81 mm mortars fired several ROF shots and the French in the building broke, and I was able to take the building on turn 3 MPh.

After that I was ahead in the game and Sami tried to use his tanks and the reinforcements to bolster the smaller victory building. I managed slog forward and took the smaller building on turn 6- the french counterattack fizzled out and it was over on turn 7.

This is a great old skool scenario. It has a lot of options and room for maneuver. the French need to be careful with their initial setup. This is a real classic and has stood the test of time.

Last edited:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
We are taking an involuntary break from our big Operation Hubertus game because of some curfew and contact restrictions and are playing RB7 The Red House over VASSAL instead. For diversion, I play the Russians this time, and my men just can't pass MCs. To compensate, they win all the CCs, so not all is yet lost. Problem is: It's night, they don't rally, and I've already lost a leader.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Second City ASL AP117 Hungary, fall of '44. Looks like fun, but went with the Soviet balance. The Ruskis must control 5 or more, "blocks", on board 68. Lots of toys on both sides. For the first three turns the Soviets push against Hungarians. My opponent set up to fall back, but not give much ground, so I had to take risks. Most payed off, but lost a Sherman to a PF shot. I gained the east most block, and shoved south, and held 2 blocks by the time the Germans and two not ready for primetime Panthers showed up. (This depicts vehicles taken out of the workshop, with weapon, turret or drivetrain issues.)
The good news is most of the Hungarians had been accounted for, so I could run at more blocks. And the Germans can't be everywhere. More pushing, and I had 5 blocks by the end of turn 6. I had placed the SU-76M a few hexes away from one of the Panthers, hoping to Immo it. The Panther ignored the gnat, and blasted Soviet infantry instead. But, on turn 7, the Panther had to lead the way to retake a block. So, it confidently drove up to the SU-76 and I fired, still hoping for an Immo. 1, 1 Immo, the Panther shot back, miss! With ROF, I fired again, and 1, 1 again! CH! and no more Panther.... This ended the game, with a narrow Soviet victory.

Fun, lots of tanks, and a meatchopper, but the grunts on both sides are what will acctually decide this one.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Second City ASL AP117 Hungary, fall of '44. Looks like fun, but went with the Soviet balance. The Ruskis must control 5 or more, "blocks", on board 68. Lots of toys on both sides. For the first three turns the Soviets push against Hungarians. My opponent set up to fall back, but not give much ground, so I had to take risks. Most payed off, but lost a Sherman to a PF shot. I gained the east most block, and shoved south, and held 2 blocks by the time the Germans and two not ready for primetime Panthers showed up. (This depicts vehicles taken out of the workshop, with weapon, turret or drivetrain issues.)
The good news is most of the Hungarians had been accounted for, so I could run at more blocks. And the Germans can't be everywhere. More pushing, and I had 5 blocks by the end of turn 6. I had placed the SU-76M a few hexes away from one of the Panthers, hoping to Immo it. The Panther ignored the gnat, and blasted Soviet infantry instead. But, on turn 7, the Panther had to lead the way to retake a block. So, it confidently drove up to the SU-76 and I fired, still hoping for an Immo. 1, 1 Immo, the Panther shot back, miss! With ROF, I fired again, and 1, 1 again! CH! and no more Panther.... This ended the game, with a narrow Soviet victory.

Fun, lots of tanks, and a meatchopper, but the grunts on both sides are what will acctually decide this one.
? Wow, this one caught my attention as well but ROAR has it quite pro-Hungarian/German (though very few playings recorded: 21 only). Good to have an AAR on this one as just looking at the board, forces, VCs & time limits it didn't grab me as a potential barker.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
? Wow, this one caught my attention as well but ROAR has it quite pro-Hungarian/German (though very few playings recorded: 21 only). Good to have an AAR on this one as just looking at the board, forces, VCs & time limits it didn't grab me as a potential barker.
That’s what we thought too. The Russians have to stay on the gas, but that is not unusual in a medium sized, mobile scenario like this one.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Despite (real) balance issues, the block control SSR, sometimes seen in CG with variations, was a great idea from Mr Shelling. I wish to see it more often in standard scenarios.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Despite (real) balance issues, the block control SSR, sometimes seen in CG with variations, was a great idea from Mr Shelling. I wish to see it more often in standard scenarios.
I politely disagree with you on this one, George.

Firstly, Block Control is problematic if there are any HIP units on the defense. So that means most such scenarios will have no HIP, which is a loss to fog of war.

Secondly, Block Control encourages large scale deployment, half-squads and leaders blocking stairwells and retaining concealment as much as possible. That is not a lot of fun, either for the attacker or defender.

It certainly did not work for me in A Bridge Too Far, with the big Blocks being "held" by a single HIP HS in a Cellar at CG Date End.

For me, it is a recipe for a bug hunt. Some people like those and I am sure in some cases you can make it work, but I would certainly not go near it in our own designs. Too many drawbacks in my humble opinion.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Firstly, Block Control is problematic if there are any HIP units on the defense. So that means most such scenarios will have no HIP, which is a loss to fog of war.

Secondly, Block Control encourages large scale deployment, half-squads and leaders blocking stairwells and retaining concealment as much as possible. That is not a lot of fun, either for the attacker or defender.

It certainly did not work for me in A Bridge Too Far, with the big Blocks being "held" by a single HIP HS in a Cellar at CG Date End.
Perhaps it would have worked better if Control was based upon which side had the majority of Good Order squad equivalents within a Block, rather than having to be the only one in the Block?

(Asking mostly for possible future implementations)

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps it would have worked better if Control was based upon which side had the majority of Good Order squad equivalents within a Block, rather than having to be the only one in the Block?

(Asking mostly for possible future implementations)
As this scenario does. To control a block, the Soviets need to control a majority of the buildings in the block. So, if somebody is hiding, not every inch of every building be cleared.

There is one HIP Hungarian squad allowed. In our playing, the 4-4-7 in question took a good shot at an approaching Soviet squad, and was thus revealed.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As this scenario does. To control a block, the Soviets need to control a majority of the buildings in the block. So, if somebody is hiding, not every inch of every building be cleared.

There is one HIP Hungarian squad allowed. In our playing, the 4-4-7 in question took a good shot at an approaching Soviet squad, and was thus revealed.
Putting two HIP Hungarian HS in two out-of-the way building locations to secretly keep Control of a Block still seems like a much better option than taking a shot.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
J94 Kempf At Melikhovo - AAR

This was in the selection of a Mini-Tournament of Grenadier 2019 where I did not have a chance to play it. Did so now.

An AAR can be found here.

von Marwitz