Double-Wide Wooded Hill

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hämmädä . You really need to read the accompanying Artist's Statement, or you'll miss half the whole experience.
You did mention that. While many streams have rocky terrain around them I don't think they often get the flying debris effect you get in desert because the soil is moist. But that's a judgement call.

JR

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
There are no (zero, none, nada) rules for "brush-roads" in Chapter B, even though Chapter G does have rules for "bamboo-paths".

And yes, I know we already have published official boards featuring brush-roads. I don't know how MMP expects people to use such boards in non-PTO situations.

What is hex J1? What are hexes M8, M9, etc.?

The big problem with poorly-drawn crest-lines like Z1 is that it can become literally impossible to properly defend the crest-line. You can set up in front of the crest-line, you can set up behind the crest line, but you can never set up on the crest-line, because it becomes a non-existent place.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What is hex J1? What are hexes M8, M9, etc.?

The big problem with poorly-drawn crest-lines like Z1 is that it can become literally impossible to properly defend the crest-line. You can set up in front of the crest-line, you can set up behind the crest line, but you can never set up on the crest-line, because it becomes a non-existent place.
J1 is, I believe, a more sophisticated grain hex. M8 is hammada, per previous reply. I would prefer a different depiction with larger "rocks" rather than the black pepper look, but I assume that @Tuomo did that because it was easier to draw, i.e. he did not have any better graphics textures handy.

I am not sure what you mean by your objection to the crest line in Z1. Crest lines with higher level terrain can occur in lower level hexes. See for example 15Y3 or 7AA8. Players find them confusing, but they are legal and they work within the rules. A unit in Z1 as drawn is at level zero, and one in Z2 is at level one. They have LOS to each other, and a unit in Z2 has height advantage (as well as woods) TEM. My concern is that hexes drawn with terrain higher than the hex center are confusing to players already, and one drawn like Z1 would be doubly more so.

JR

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ja, good eye. If somebody wants this thing made into a Real Product (which would involve a Cash Transaction), then that's one of the 287 Quality Points of Inspection.
Add a selection of scenarios, and I'd gladly make this Real.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I don't know why, but I like the saddle valley from X7 to X12; somebody's gonna have to cross that valley in one direction or the other, and the folks on the high ground on the other side won't be very friendly. Yes, that empty space around CC9 is what happens when the Map Guy runs out of ideas.
The stream looks unfinished, but extending it through hexrow CC and ending in a pond in DD9 would probably make it look a lot better. Perhaps with an adjacent marsh in EE9.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Pond G2, make the top of the stream begin at BB6/7 in brush, make the X10 bridge wooden and this could be a couple of places in the Luxembourg Ardennes. They still have some weight restrictions on some bridges over the small rivers there.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can see a Finn sceario on that one as well.
Contrary to 'conventional wisdom' - not all of the hills in Korea were stripped of their trees during the first half of the 20th century.
Prior to the attack at Unsan (Nov 1950), the CVPA started several forest fires just to obscure aerial observation of their movements.

(And it worked out pretty well, too.)

Not sure how many blaze counters we would need for that, but maps like this could certainly be useful to represent such terrain.