ASL SCANDINAVIAN OPEN 2020 (February 26th - March 1st)

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
But of course I perceive this as a commitment to learn and improve so as to be able to offer these gentlemen a worthy game in the future as a way of repaying this lesson.
From what I saw, your play was generally good. Your ideas were mostly sound too. We'll find out on VASL for sure :) -- jim

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I had a great time in Copenhagen, starting with my friendly game with Jim Bishop on Wednesday evening when we tried out 'Meet me at the Station'. I managed to win by driving a Tiger into an empty building he'd previously controlled, which Jim could not destroy. The following day he informed me that I'd actually lost, as he'd discovered that AFVs couldn't control buildings. I countered that as the building had actually been rubbled when he drove into it afterwards with a T34, it no longer counted as a building, which made it impossible for him to win anyway, as the VC specified he had to control that 'building'. He pulled out of his hat the fact that rubbled buildings still counted for victory conditions, as per the ASO tournament SSR . I therefore had to declare victory, as my Tiger was able to control rubble, if not buildings.
As a result of our discussions, Bo and Michael changed the ASO SSRs to make sure that, from that moment forth, rubbled buildings are controlled as if they were buildings.

I still don't know if I beat Jim;)

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I had a great time in Copenhagen, starting with my friendly game with Jim Bishop on Wednesday evening when we tried out 'Meet me at the Station'. I managed to win by driving a Tiger into an empty building he'd previously controlled, which Jim could not destroy. The following day he informed me that I'd actually lost, as he'd discovered that AFVs couldn't control buildings. I countered that as the building had actually been rubbled when he drove into it afterwards with a T34, it no longer counted as a building, which made it impossible for him to win anyway, as the VC specified he had to control that 'building'. He pulled out of his hat the fact that rubbled buildings still counted for victory conditions, as per the ASO tournament SSR . I therefore had to declare victory, as my Tiger was able to control rubble, if not buildings.
As a result of our discussions, Bo and Michael changed the ASO SSRs to make sure that, from that moment forth, rubbled buildings are controlled as if they were buildings.

I still don't know if I beat Jim;)
Under Death To Fascism Special Rules, it would have been so easy to determine....

1.1 Vehicles and vehicle crews are treated as SMC for Control Purposes

1.4 Rubbled building hexes are still considered building hexes for Control purposes

So in that case, you would have not gained Control with your Tiger. Making 1.4 irrelevant, but fun to read.

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Me either. ;) What I do know was it was a good game, we both played well enough, and we sussed out a hole in the tournament rules for later. -- jim
which was much appreciated
We clarified the Tournament Special Rules as it related to "building hex" and "building location" control. If I am not mistaken (which I often am), by standard ASL Rules, the germans could win that scenario by rubbling a 1-hex stone building. So, driving a tank into the building gave a 1-in-6 chance to win the scenario right there. Good to get that out of the way. I wouldn't be surprised if someone had tried that.

Always great to have you over @Toby Pilling. Look forward to seeing you next year. You as well, Jim. Even if you are a Rangers fan :)

Bo

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I managed to win by driving a Tiger into an empty building he'd previously controlled, which Jim could not destroy. The following day he informed me that I'd actually lost, as he'd discovered that AFVs couldn't control buildings. I countered that as the building had actually been rubbled when he drove into it afterwards with a T34, it no longer counted as a building, which made it impossible for him to win anyway, as the VC specified he had to control that 'building'. He pulled out of his hat the fact that rubbled buildings still counted for victory conditions, as per the ASO tournament SSR . I therefore had to declare victory, as my Tiger was able to control rubble, if not buildings.
If you two kids don't stop crabbing at each other, I AM TURNING THIS CAR AROUND.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats on what sounds like another great tournament. Hope to make it sometime.

And thanks for not stealing the Winter Offensive motto: Everyone's a winner at Winner Offensive.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I share Bo's sentiments about Bocage.

As a tournament director, think twice before you put too much Bocage into your scenario list.

You will be sick and tired of Bocage, Wall Advantage and HIP rules questions before the tournament is over......
I say go for ALL bocage.
In for a 1-2-7, in for an 8-3-8.
The questions will die down after the first few rounds.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I say go for ALL bocage.
In for a 1-2-7, in for an 8-3-8.
The questions will die down after the first few rounds.
In my own experience, it is mostly players' patience with Bocage that will die down after a few rounds.....

I am sure it was hell to fight in it. Clearly the ASL gurus wanted it to be hell for the players as well. They succeeded.

Sherman in its MPh drives along a Bocage-lined road. Behind the Bocage, in open ground but HIP, is a German HS with a PSK.

What is the sequence now, once the Sherman announces the MP for entering the road hex? Who has WA ? HELP !

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
In my own experience, it is mostly players' patience with Bocage that will die down after a few rounds.....

I am sure it was hell to fight in it. Clearly the ASL gurus wanted it to be hell for the players as well. They succeeded.

Sherman in its MPh drives along a Bocage-lined road. Behind the Bocage, in open ground but HIP, is a German HS with a PSK.

What is the sequence now, once the Sherman announces the MP for entering the road hex? Who has WA ? HELP !
In general, your opponent has the wall advantage.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Wasn't this addressed in the J8 errata?
B9.324 Errata: Replace the last sentence with “A HIP unit that desires to claim WA during setup must secretly record such WA status [EXC: 9.323]. A HIP unit may forfeit WA (even if it had been mandatory) to an enemy unit claiming WA (even implicitly; 9.323) over a shared hexside and remain hidden but must be placed on board (concealed) to deny an enemy unit from claiming WA, or to claim WA that is not mandatory and was not recorded, or to forfeit WA if no enemy is claiming it. Hidden units are not considered when determining if broken/unarmed units may claim WA (9.32).”.
Seem's pretty clear to me. Did it record as HIP? Does it have Mandatory WA? It can claim WA right then and there. This also allows a gun to have an LOS it couldn't have had in the past before the errata was applied.

Now, if you want to chat about how Bocage ahistorically favors the attackers, I am all in ;) -- jim