AAR - Blood On The Tracks - RO1

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Would anyone be able to post pics with their AAR? I’d like to see the new map in action. Thanks

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks all for chasing down this change to the VCs. I am about to play it, from Red Factories, and was thinking that the VC text is confusing and the conditions so tough that there might be a revision.

I don’t have the scenario in front of me, yet I first considered the use of >=1 “building”. Normally, US practice would suggest “building” would be plural. Given the designers did not use the plural form, maybe the intention was “building hexes” or “building locations”? Was it really intended to be, “>=1 buildings”?

One or more “building hexes” (including all locations such as rooftops) and keeping the Russians east seemed more reasonable. Hence my post.

Cheers

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don’t have the scenario in front of me, yet I first considered the use of >=1 “building”. Normally, US practice would suggest “building” would be plural.
Not by my normal US practice. "Building" sounds perfectly fine. Perhaps "building(s)" would be better, but it's an awkward construction no matter what you do.

JR

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Cpl Uhl and I just finished playing this and he won as the Russians.

I wanted to play the scenarios and picked this one because it had Stukas, armour - the lot. Looked like fun, until I read this thread.........

My 10-2 rolled boxcars on an NMC and then a six to die. My radio contact roll was a double six followed by a six on the repair roll. There goes two of the best German assets :rolleyes:

I was heading for factory P24 The New Production shop using board edge creep and ran into some minefields in L24, L25 which halted the advance. My 10-2 was leading the way and died on his NMC caused by the mines. Then the Russian 9-2 made an appearance with an HMG and MMG in a trench in K33. With no OBA smoke I was not going to make it.

I switched to try to clear everything up to hexrow K but it was impossible. Cpl Uhl had put a tunnel in J32 plus the trench in K33. Putting bodies and wire in the way made it all impossible to get to. He was even getting ready lining up his Russians against the railway embankment in hexrow L to advance into hexrow K on his last advance phase.

Reading this thread makes me think that the scenario needs some tweaking. Or am I missing something? How did the playtesters win as the Germans?

I'd give it another go if the Russians had no tunnels (why ban sewer movement from turn 5 if there are still the tunnels?). Everything the German has starts onboard and the setup restrictions for the German go out the window (but still apply to the Russian) and the German sets up on or West of hexrow D. The VC of taking a multi hex building is just a joke - no way is that possible.

Cpl Uhl missed a trick by not putting a HIP MMG and crew in E28 to stop me crossing the road. If he had it would have eaten up another turn (me having no at start armour) just trying to clear that................

I was talking to someone and they called this "MMP's most disappointing product". Sods law is that the first scenario that everyone plays is the one with the problems............

Last edited:

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Here is the playtested version after 5 playings:

RO1 BLOOD ON THE TRACKS
Updated version of Scenario RO1

- New:
Victory Conditions: The Germans win at game end if there are no
Good Order Russian Squad (not equivalents) on/west-of hexrow K.

- New:
Board Configuration: (Only hexes numbered > 24 and < 35 in
hexes on/west-of hexrow R are playable).

- Delete the following from the Russian OB: 3x 4-5-8, 3x 2-2-8,
1x HMG, 2x MMG, 2x 5-2-7, 2x 4-2-6, 1-2-7 crew & MOL-P.

- Delete from the Russian reinforcements, the following: "[ELR: 2]".

- German OB: Replace the 5x 4-6-8 squads with 5x 5-4-8 sq.
Replace the Radio with a DC. Delete the 10 Dummy counters.
  • Add to SSR 1: Leaflet House Rules in effect (as much as possible).
  • Delete: SSR 2 (No set up restrictions).
  • Delete: SSR 3 (Fortified buildings and HIP).
  • New SSR: The German player have a 100+mm Artillery Module directed by
an Offboard Observer at level 3 (i.e., at level 2) in a west edge hex that may Pre-Register (C1.73) one hex. The Offboard Observer and the Pre-registered hex are recorded after Russian setup.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is the playtested version after 5 playings:

RO1 BLOOD ON THE TRACKS
Updated version of Scenario RO1

- New:
Victory Conditions: The Germans win at game end if there are no
Good Order Russian Squad (not equivalents) on/west-of hexrow K.

- New:
Board Configuration: (Only hexes numbered > 24 and < 35 in
hexes on/west-of hexrow R are playable).

- Delete the following from the Russian OB: 3x 4-5-8, 3x 2-2-8,
1x HMG, 2x MMG, 2x 5-2-7, 2x 4-2-6, 1-2-7 crew & MOL-P.

- Delete from the Russian reinforcements, the following: "[ELR: 2]".

- German OB: Replace the 5x 4-6-8 squads with 5x 5-4-8 sq.
Replace the Radio with a DC. Delete the 10 Dummy counters.
  • Add to SSR 1: Leaflet House Rules in effect (as much as possible).
  • Delete: SSR 2 (No set up restrictions).
  • Delete: SSR 3 (Fortified buildings and HIP).
  • New SSR: The German player have a 100+mm Artillery Module directed by
an Offboard Observer at level 3 (i.e., at level 2) in a west edge hex that may Pre-Register (C1.73) one hex. The Offboard Observer and the Pre-registered hex are recorded after Russian setup.
[/QUOTE/]

Or maybe, "Delete scenario card and start over?"

Kidding aside, would be worth finding a not too extreme fix for this one, as it promises lots of fun. Offboard observer at height is a good start, maybe replace some 628s with 527s...