Map bundle

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the MMP site. Is the info on the Supplemental Map Bundle correct as far as which boards are included? There seems to be a conflict between that and the notes on some boards in the parts listings. P, Q, R,S and 59 are listed as included with the bundle in the bundle description. But on the parts list for those boards it says they are not included in the bundle.

Seth

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the MMP site. Is the info on the Supplemental Map Bundle correct as far as which boards are included? There seems to be a conflict between that and the notes on some boards in the parts listings. P, Q, R,S and 59 are listed as included with the bundle in the bundle description. But on the parts list for those boards it says they are not included in the bundle.

Seth
They are not included in the original bundle, but are scheduled for the supplemental bundle.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Will MMP re-issue the original map bundle in the future?

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just wish they would print maps from 52 on so they could be purchased separately. Heck, Bounding Fire does it and they also have a crap-ton of maps.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I just wish they would print maps from 52 on so they could be purchased separately. Heck, Bounding Fire does it and they also have a crap-ton of maps.
Comparing Bounding Fire's little stockpile of maps to MMP's is not fair, because Bounding Fire sells products requiring boards from their own products, which is a situation created by themselves only. MMPs stockpile of official boards are normally required by all other TPP products, including Bounding Fire. I wonder how long Bounding Fire's stockpile would remain in stock if required to supplement all other ASL products?
I own all of the Bounding Fire boards and consider them excellent boards for my DYO & SASL gaming, so I don't want this to sound like I'm belittling them here, because IMO they are really good (as you say) at providing their boards for separate purchase, as well.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Comparing Bounding Fire's little stockpile of maps to MMP's is not fair, because Bounding Fire sells products requiring boards from their own products, which is a situation created by themselves only. MMPs stockpile of official boards are normally required by all other TPP products, including Bounding Fire. I wonder how long Bounding Fire's stockpile would remain in stock if required to supplement all other ASL products?
I own all of the Bounding Fire boards and consider them excellent boards for my DYO & SASL gaming, so I don't want this to sound like I'm belittling them here, because IMO they are really good (as you say) at providing their boards for separate purchase, as well.
My point is that if a much smaller company can do it with the resources they have then a company I suspect MMP can. We are not talking about reprinting a game or something with a lot of components we are talking about a map. Something like that could be handled on a color printer that took cardstock. Heck, they could probably automate the entire process from order to shipping. We are not talking about huge numbers or using it to print maps for modules only for one-off orders.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My point is that if a much smaller company can do it with the resources they have then a company I suspect MMP can. We are not talking about reprinting a game or something with a lot of components we are talking about a map. Something like that could be handled on a color printer that took cardstock. Heck, they could probably automate the entire process from order to shipping. We are not talking about huge numbers or using it to print maps for modules only for one-off orders.
If cost effectiveness is a major concern, they could limit the minimum number purchased to 5 or greater, or with another game purchase, or something similar. I'm fairly certain that after a short period of time they would find which boards are requested more often and adjust production accordingly but as you've pointed out there are other options as well.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
@Perry Once the overlay bundle artwork is complete, any chance you would put up an enlarged set of maps for pre-order just to see how it fairs? I know there is quite a bit of interest in maps enlarged to something on the order of ~129%. I don't know if it is enough interest to see it to completion, but that's what a pre-order would suss out. Perhaps it would make a better Kick-Starter as that would collect the money before production requiring little to no out-lay in advance on MMP's part (as I understand it). Given the artwork for the maps and overlays is being done already, it seems like little risk to see if there is enough interest to make this worth while. If it hits a number MMP needs to make it worthwhile, off you go. If not, there is always the map- and overlay-bundles anyway. Thanks. -- jim

Caveat: I don't pretend to know MMP's business and caution the reader to drawing any conclusions based on my possibly faulty understanding of the situation.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Something like that could be handled on a color printer that took cardstock. Heck, they could probably automate the entire process from order to shipping.
I would bet such a printer would be hella-expensive. Maintenance would probably be pretty expensive too. Colors would be difficult to maintain and balance compared to the rest of the maps. The maps you get already also have a top-layer coat which provides a seal which would likely be tough to replicate. I am not saying it wouldn't be possible to have print on demand like this, but it would come with a lot of limitations and the initial cost could be pretty expensive. I wonder how many maps they would have to see to just break even on the initial printer, ink, and cardboard stock? I bet the maps would also have to be cut to size after being printed. I guess they could send them to the consumer and let them do the cutting. That would be a challenge to get a perfectly squared edge. -- jim

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Chas asked this question (including the added cost) on Facebook not too long ago to a resounding - hell yes!

@Perry Once the overlay bundle artwork is complete, any chance you would put up an enlarged set of maps for pre-order just to see how it fairs? I know there is quite a bit of interest in maps enlarged to something on the order of ~129%. I don't know if it is enough interest to see it to completion, but that's what a pre-order would suss out. Perhaps it would make a better Kick-Starter as that would collect the money before production requiring little to no out-lay in advance on MMP's part (as I understand it). Given the artwork for the maps and overlays is being done already, it seems like little risk to see if there is enough interest to make this worth while. If it hits a number MMP needs to make it worthwhile, off you go. If not, there is always the map- and overlay-bundles anyway. Thanks. -- jim

Caveat: I don't pretend to know MMP's business and caution the reader to drawing any conclusions based on my possibly faulty understanding of the situation.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would bet such a printer would be hella-expensive. Maintenance would probably be pretty expensive too. Colors would be difficult to maintain and balance compared to the rest of the maps. The maps you get already also have a top-layer coat which provides a seal which would likely be tough to replicate. I am not saying it wouldn't be possible to have print on demand like this, but it would come with a lot of limitations and the initial cost could be pretty expensive. I wonder how many maps they would have to see to just break even on the initial printer, ink, and cardboard stock? I bet the maps would also have to be cut to size after being printed. I guess they could send them to the consumer and let them do the cutting. That would be a challenge to get a perfectly squared edge. -- jim
Suggestions are just that they are not criticism. Suggestions are offered as a way to spur on the thought processes. In any case, if one can go to an office supply store to get a map printed the equipment can not be too horrendously expensive. Indeed, the availability of good color printers at decent prices is driving many print companies out of business.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Suggestions are just that they are not criticism. Suggestions are offered as a way to spur on the thought processes. In any case, if one can go to an office supply store to get a map printed the equipment can not be too horrendously expensive. Indeed, the availability of good color printers at decent prices is driving many print companies out of business.
Examination of those suggestions, are themselves, not criticisms. They are merely presented to provide a different opinion. Even with copies, it is difficult to match the colors to the copied material, let alone over close to 100 maps, about as many overlays, multiplied thousands of times over. Imagine a bad pixel on the copier and the complaints about streaking on the maps. Indeed, if you're doing it yourself, a good color printer is probably enough. It's the scalability that I want to make sure people don't miss. Bill Cirillo has copied all the maps himself on a copier. I doubt MMP would want to do that THOUSANDS of times. I could be wrong. -- jim

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last check, 419! And no, funny guy when it hits 420, no leaning back and lighting up!

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
447. It has reached the mythical Russian squad total. Only 3 to go. Could be done before June.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
451. Might be an ELR...but did make the Pre-order number.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States