World Cup? - Why hockey is better

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Very good world cup, no hooliganism, no terrorism. Good quality matches, usually finals are boring to watch, but this one was entertaining and the best team won: France :cool:
Mbappé on track to become a new super-player. :thumbsup:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
(ice hockey is literally impossible to watch because you can't see fuck all other than a pile of very large people hacking shit out of each other),
True fans have no problem with this, you simply suffer from outsider bias.

I think baseball is unwatchable, for example, but only because I am not invested in the drama of things like a left-handed batter suddenly appearing at the plate swinging right. Stats are a baseball fan's delight.

Hockey, football, soccer, doesn't matter - the real drama is in the storylines, and these are tied to personalities and communities. If you don't know who the players, coaches and fans are of any professional sport, it is just different coloured jerseys.

Look at the Invictus movie, for example. I don't have a clue how to score points in rugby, and the movie to its credit didn't condescend to explain it to me. And yet the film was made compelling - why? Because of the storyline.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Stanley Cup, is there anything better?
As above, if you have no investment in the teams, players, coaches, fans - it's just some guys on a sheet of ice. But once you have a guy fighting back from injury, a coach who is playing a team that fired him, a stadium of fans suffering a decades-long championship drought - or, indeed, a country rebuilding after decades of racial strife - you've got something worth rooting for.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
True fans have no problem with this, you simply suffer from outsider bias.

I think baseball is unwatchable, for example, but only because I am not invested in the drama of things like a left-handed batter suddenly appearing at the plate swinging right. Stats are a baseball fan's delight.

Hockey, football, soccer, doesn't matter - the real drama is in the storylines, and these are tied to personalities and communities. If you don't know who the players, coaches and fans are of any professional sport, it is just different coloured jerseys.

Look at the Invictus movie, for example. I don't have a clue how to score points in rugby, and the movie to its credit didn't condescend to explain it to me. And yet the film was made compelling - why? Because of the storyline.
Christ. You just catching up on old threads?