So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played OB9 First Crack at Hellzapoppin' Ridge as the defending Japanese. Tough choice at the beginning: Set up up front and possibly be blasted into oblivion with all that US firepower or set up so the marines have to come to you - and then possibly blast you into oblivion! I set up so they would have to come to me with a few surprises here and there. My largest force set up to the west while a "keep 'em honest" force set up to the east. The eastern force quickly got overrun but diluted the American attack. The western group held up pretty well and when I finally opened up with the 150s (which I held off as long as possible because I have terrible luck with 11 breakdown weapons) they took out 4 1/2 squads and the 9-2. However, one broke, of course, on its second shot leaving me with one gun and a shell of my original force. At the top of the last half turn all I had left was a crew manning the last 150. A 36 straight shot took care of him and that was that. I had my opportunities but lost all but one of the H-to-H combats I was involved in and rolled high on a couple of critical shots. Hell, with as few men as the Japanese have, they were all critical shots! In the end, what I suspected came to happen. Once those marines got a bearing on my men, that firepower was just too much. Still, it went down to the last half turn so I can't complain about that.

Last edited:

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
WO19 Through the Dragon's Teeth is a fun scenario. thirteen USMC Raiders (5-5-8's with only 3 MMG's, 3 60mm MTR's, and an ATR) have a lot of ground to cover to take bunch of huts from my IJA. not much SW for the IJA either: an LMG, a knee MTR, but there are 2 12.7 AA guns, and 2 coastal guns. the USMC have some tough terrain to slog through allowing the IJA to fade-back. IJA stayed in place on their right a turn too long costing needless casualties. the USMC relentlessly pushed forward into the VC hut area of board 62 but ran smack into the IJA 12.7's and the stout remnants of defenders made up of a few half squads and a couple of striped squads. last CC phase of the game: the USMC got guys into the huts but needed to win all CC's for the victory. he got none (we had to try them all) for the IJA win. fun scenario, played tight, I would play it again as either side

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
My Germans got every break they needed and then three more on the last two turns to edge out Steve Anderson's Amis in WO27 Checking Out. Fun, smashy little game on a couple of the new DASL boards. I like both of these, but j is really cool.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fightin' Over the Finger FT SmR7 Korea '50. From the new Fight for Seoul HASL. Marines must take a small hill from the North Koreans. The NKPA set up in depth on the hill, hoping to make the Marines pay for very part of the hill. I split my attackers, with a MMG on Smith's Ridge, and a few squads, and the balance attacking the hill short side on. I made slow progress, trying not to hit the CVP cap. Eventually, Marine firepower was too much, and the NKPA were crushed in the last turn.

Fun, and a good intro to the rules and maps. The maps are beautiful.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WO21, Bolder than Before. This is a cool scenario in which the Ukrainian partisan defender chooses a victory condition without telling the Russian. The Russians have a small outpost of conscripts onboard, and a slew of motorcyclist first-liners and a couple of tanks coming in to relieve them.

My Cossack hordes could choose between seizing one of the buildings the Russians set up in (in 5.5 turns), keeping the Russians from getting 16 CVP (in 6 turns), or keeping the Russians from getting 9 EVP (in 8 turns). Depending on the choice, the Ukrainians get different goodies for their OBs.

I chose the CVP victory condition on the theory that this one was the easiest to keep the Russian guessing about what the true VC are. Taking the EVP VC gives you a roadblock, which basically has to go in one board-edge hex, and gives the game away as soon as the Russian gets LOS to it. Taking the building capture VC gives you an MMG and DC, which are unique in the OB and again, give the game away immediately. With the CVP VC, you get a couple of extra LMG, but since you already have a slew of these (and half your force sets up HIP), you can reveal some of them without revealing which VC you chose. Pat guessed correctly that this would be my choice, but he wasn't sure enough to be able to commit to it.

I had a great first turn: I burned one of his two tanks with a molotov (they were those twin-turreted guys; alas, we never got to try out the TKO counters). I had put three squads in three different hexes, all menacingly adjacent to some of the maybe-Victory buildings, and he advanced into CC against all three. The results:
  1. Ukrainian ambush and withdrawal
  2. Ukrainian ambush and withdrawal
  3. Ukrainian CC victory with infiltration
I withdrew all three forward and now occupied two victory buildings. It delayed Pat by at least a turn having to dig them out, but he pushed on forward to good effect, and managed to slowly rack up more and more CVPs over the next few turns. I did, however, manage to keep him guessing about the VC until turn 4-5, which kept him from committing to fulfilling any one of the VC. Still, by the last turn, he only needed 3 more CVP. One of my broken, 4-morale halfsquads was sitting out in the open, and another of my squads isolated and VBM-frozen behind his lines. Bringing down both of them would bring Pat to 16. He nabbed the halfsquad in advancing fire, and advanced a pair of squads against by isolated squad. He needed a six to kill it, and rolled ... a seven! Casualty reduced, I survived to see my half-turn, but with Pat having 15/16 CVP. I managed to get enough to fire into the melee to break both his squads without killing my own, saving the day by the barest possible margin. Ukrainian victory.

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
ASL 3 CZERNIAKOW BRIDGEHEAD: With White Russians fighting for the Germans against Polish Home Army & units of Russia's 1st Polish Army, this bloodbath was Russia's initial attempt to 'relieve' the doomed Warsaw Partisans.

This 10 turn scenario pits 15 German squads, 6 SMC, 1 HMG, 2 MMG & 4LMG against 15 Russian/Polish squads, 3 SMC, 2LMG set up on board 23, and on board 20 a concealed group of 12 stealthy Partisans, with 3 Partisan leaders & 2LMG & some dummy stacks. Germans must cross the river over a choice of 3 bridges on board 23, push thru the Russian cannon fodder and the low ammo Partisans on board 20 (with their SAN 6, MOL & sewer move abilities) and finish with more CVP than the Allies and 20 FP factors on board 8. Before Axis turn 1 all Russian units must take a NMC.

Not knowing where the Russians would be soft, Germans set up to cross all bridges. The left & center crossings went well, not so on the right side. Allies moved some Partisans up to firm up the Russian led units, making the Axis advance slower, but still steady, with terrible losses for the Allies. By turn 9 Partisans had only suffered 1 low ammo-ed unit, but the Allied losses were over 60%, not including broken units, giving the Germans a solid edge in CVPs and Axis paths to board 8 along both edges. The final German move began with 35 FP factors in position to break out onto board 8. It would not be a Parade but attainable though contested.

Despite additional loses & breaks, the defenders managed to PIN a SQ w/LMG and with the final shot PINNED a SQ w/MMG. It was 1 SQ too many, leaving the Germans with 19 FP factors.

This is a well balanced, action packed, ton-o-fun scenario which I highly reccommend.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played two Suicide Creek scenarios and took it on the chin in both. The first was J131 First Love. The Japanese have to stop the marines from crossing the stream and not lose 6 CVPs. I had some chances to do damage but rolled too high pretty much throughout. That allowed the marines to first cross and then then ambush my crews in the pillboxes. It went to turn 5 (of 5.5) but that's only because my friend was being very cautious. Too few Japanese, IMHO, to effectively stem the tide.

The second scenario, J132 Jungle Infiltration, was awful. I was blistered by a constant string of threes whether they were attack rolls or MCs (when I got a shot off). The Japanese only need to get 11 CVP for an automatic win, but you actually have to be able to get close to the marines to do it. I held concealment as best I could but even when I survived a shot by the marines, I usually had lost concealment and then my ambush rolls never panned out. I suppose I should be glad I was able to destroy the ammo dump, but that's only because my friend started pulling back once he raked my men with lethal fire earlier. This one I feel favors the Japanese but not today.

Both scenarios play fast and the extra rules are minimal so anyone with a few PTO scenarios under their belt should be able to jump right in easily. Surprising there are so few recorded playings of these scenarios.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom and I sat down to continue our exploration of the PiF scenarios. This is our 38th scenario, only 7 more to go, it’s been a lot fun and we’ve had a lot of crazy ASL stuff happen. PiF 143 Gun Show is a good looking scenario but, at first glance it looked like it was going to be difficult for the poles to pull off. I was hoping to make the game challenging for Tom and stick around at least to the last few turns.
The Russians have everything and the kitchen sink in this one. He gets to choose his point of attack, has smoke, heavy artillery w/ extra black chit, aircraft, tanks, FT tanks and can take a commissar. The poles have, as you might have guessed guns. 6 of them to be exact, 4 HMG and 1 very very rare LMG.
Nothing went well for me early. He got lots of smoke with is mortars to cover his crossing, the lead armor rolled across, fist Gun malfunctioned on the first shot, back up gun malfunctioned on the second shot. LMG was ineffectual. By turn three the Tom had AFV in the village. He reinforced his success, the Polish infantry managed to hold the Russian infantry in the stream which, is the only thing that kept this interesting, but eventually, they collapsed. What could fall back from the other two crossing locations did, but the Russian air force kept the majority of them from moving.
Part of my set up plan was to a) set up the HMG’s and guns in in locations where they could influence the battle but stay away from the 120MM OBA (note the Russian gets to wait until AFTER polish set up to pick his off-board observer hex!!) so that when they did blow ? they would still be out of LOS of the observer (there are some really good observation hexes if you take the time to look for them, it’s worth it as the polish defender to find them) and b) balance between defending the sites and having something left for the end game. I also tried to set up in locations where the HMG could shoot down the AC, but sadly no chance to do so occurred.
The artillery was, as I suspected it would be the biggest determining factor. It simply crushed everything, then at the last minute smoked to allow the Russian hordes to sweep into the village. Even had my dice been kinder in turn 1 (3 x boxcars in 5 rolls!) this is still pro-Russian. But it is a lot of fun to play and I would play it again as either side. But if the poles I would request an alternate balance of 3ea 1-squad foxholes so the poles have something to help wither the OBA.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Even had my dice been kinder in turn 1 (3 x boxcars in 5 rolls!) this is still pro-Russian. But it is a lot of fun to play and I would play it again as either side. But if the poles I would request an alternate balance of 3ea 1-squad foxholes so the poles have something to help wither the OBA.
Coming from the same home town (Oil City) perhaps a Slavic last name like mine would have brought you more luck! By the way, what nationality are the "poles"?

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I have though about this a bit more. You can throw DCs up stairs when the two locations are not on different levels. This doesn't happen for standard buildings, but in some of the CGs the cellars are not at a different level from the ground level. In most AH/MMP CGs the cellars are at level -1, but in Riley's Road the cellars are at the base level, and there you could toss a DC up a stair.
I've played Riley's Road a few times, and this is not the case in my version.
From my chapter Z: RR11.1 All singe-hex, stone buildings depicted on the RR map contain a Cellar Location beneath their ground-level Location (i.e., at building Level -1).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I've played Riley's Road a few times, and this is not the case in my version.
From my chapter Z: RR11.1 All singe-hex, stone buildings depicted on the RR map contain a Cellar Location beneath their ground-level Location (i.e., at building Level -1).
You are correct. I thought there was a CG where the cellars were not at a different level, but that may be only for LOS purposes.

JR

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mired LFT FT SmR1 Korea, '50. The KMC- Korean Marine Corps, (in their first ASL appearance), have to take one of three hilltops from the NKPA or inflict 30 CVP on them. The NKs are dug in, with 2 pillboxes, and two guns, plus OBA. The KMC has to advance across rice paddies but are supported by US aircraft and OBA.

I attacked towards the Smith's Ridge Extension and The Knoll. Making it across the paddies was not as bad as I would have thought. But once close to the hills the NKPA found the range and started hitting. I made several attempts at controlling both hills. My OBA was very accurate, and the Corsairs caused quite a bit of damage. One was shot down. His OBA did tore up some of my KMC, but they were spread out and the red chit monster arrived quickly. After that, I found his radioman and blasted him.

In the end, I was able to take the Knoll, and inflict 39 CVP. But, was creeping toward the CVP cap, which, no matter what I'd done, gives the NKs an instant win. But, I squeeked by with 25 CVP against me.

Good, punch in the mouth, ASL!

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
A handful of scenarios that I've greatly enjoyed lately.....

ASL96 "Crux Of Calais"- Excellent oldie! German win at end of game by having 12 1/2 SE north of the canal, with the Brits having 7 1/2. Much closer than it seems, they both had 11 SE going into Turn 8b DFPh (9b). The Germans got some much needed Brit breakage in that DFPh, and inflicted a bit more in CC. Love the design; nasty city-fight without the preliminary baggage, just straight in to it. Also, I have a personal penchant for scenarios that begin with on map fires/blazes.

ASL50 "Age-Old Foes"- Polish win in their Turn 7a (8b) APh by "immediately" having exited >= 30 EVP. Very close, and would likely have ended with 33 EVP. Then again, the Russian radio malfed on the first Contact Attempt and was eliminated on first Repair attempt. Had their OBA shown up, the large grain field would likely have been carnage. Even with an operable radio, their Draw Pile doesn't exactly guarantee success. Good, old school scenario.

WO12 "Heart Of Wilderness"- WOW! Russians won in final APh, 7a (7a), by taking Control of 67L6, having taken Control of the T6 bridge Location earlier. Setup for the Germans was intriguing enough, and it played incredible. Russian tidal wave eventually engulfed the German PB/Trench complex around the bridge by the end of Turn5. 10-2/9-1 led MMG stacks were able to slip back in T6 to support what was initially a feeble attempt at both of the two buildings. They KIA'd everyone who came near...except...a Heroic 9-2 with two 4-5-8s that blasted a 4-6-7 out of L6 in AFPh and advanced in for the win. One of the best designs played in some time. Top notch!

HH3 "Tanks! Tanks!"- Best of the Hell's Highway standalone scenarios, IMO. US win at end of final German half turn, 6a (6a), by having one MMC within two hexes of N16, a 2-2-7 Gun crew! US had 24 of 40 CVP needed to break the German CVP cap, getting all of these only after Turn3. Very close, looking like the Germans would pull it out. 7-4-7 CC versus Panthers was a very lethal option, especially with Gammon bombs.

Lots of the old updated scenarios that have been included in recent re-releases of modules have proven to be just as fun as the newer stuff coming out. A good scenario is a good scenario!

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP 144Forest of Death. Tom and I locked horns again in our on going PiF odyssey I tried my my best to make the woods of boards 7aand 34 live up to their sobriquet but, in this all infantry slug fest it wasn't enough. I executed a good fighting withdrawal and my reinforcements were able to come on unmolested but it wasn't enough. I held all three buildings on the left but my force guarding the cross roads was annihilated. The cross roads, actually the math of the crossroads and all of board 7a, is the essential thing to keep in mind. The one thing I did wrong was not designate a squad from my initial set up to dig foxholes near/on the crossroads. I think this is crutial to holding them.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I played a playtest scenario yesterday, the subject of which can't be named, but it involved a pre-emptive strike by the army of a nation dedicated to protecting the proletariat against a wealthy, capitalist aggressor nation on their border. One elite squad had just crawled back to an abandoned position, rolling into foxholes that had been lost, and from where it could stop the attack like a cork. The aggressors fired, rolling up a 2MC. The army defenders of the proletariat rolled a snakeeyes. Could that be the fervor of Maxist-Leninism shining in their elite eyes? Ok nationality DRM, even though elite, means that a hero is unlikely, but battle-hardening is not bad and even berserk, although not ideal, would be a distraction that the capitalist puppets could not ignore. So they roll their heat-of-battle DR. The next thing I see they are looking for some white cloth, asking their sergeants how to fill out their red cross cards and trying to find out whether the camp has a sauna. Surrender. When this is over, the gulag for all of them. And this time, no more saunas.

JR

Last edited: