A Coy/Royal Canadian Regiment/1st Canadian Brigade SASL Campaign 10 Jul - 28 Dec 1943

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Four years later and I’m still on mission 1.

Hard to believe how fast and how slow 4 years can go. I’m sure you all can relate. Dealt with some long lasting health issues for my wife but she’s on the mend. ASL play very limited these past 4 years but have been active as a VASL elf.

I’d like to break this campaign out again. I still have my VASL files. I remember how much fun it was and was really looking forward to the night mission.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread again. Unfortunately many of the links died.

Al

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah the mission links died...I'll probably replace them at sometime.

I hear you about real life. Good to hear you might get back into it. I'm the same myself...haven't rolled dice in 2+ years.

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
I will be starting this campaign soon. As a former RCR (are we ever really "former"? lol) and a history buff, I am looking forward to playing this. Thanks so much for your hard work.

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
I see Captain Dillon is included in the campaign....I remember meeting him when he was the Honorary Colonel!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
This campaign will follow the 1st Company (Alpha Coy) of the Royal Canadian Regiment – also known as ‘the RCR’ or ‘the Royals’ – (as part of the 1st Canadian Infantry Brigade) in its campaign from Sicily to Ortona, Italy as they push back the German forces on the eastern side of ‘the boot’. It will consist of 14 weekly missions.
Just to pick flyshit from pepper, but the phonetic alphabet then was "Able" for "A" Company. Which was an improvement over the Brit alphabet that Canadians used at the start of the war, which had them as "Ack" Company.

Also, the RCR types seem to get bent out of shape if you don't capitalize The, because they are The Royal Canadian Regiment. Not sure how @BattleSchool feels about that.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Also, the RCR types seem to get bent out of shape if you don't capitalize The, because they are The Royal Canadian Regiment.
<shrug>

Never took the definite article to be the genuine article. But then I never was an "RCR type." ;)

Guilty as charged though on occasionally being bent out of shape over such typical RCR nonsense as having to wear a bush cap à la Robin Hood while in the field (i.e., with side and rear brims folded up), or having to remove strings and toggle from same while deployed on operations. Did I mention that I was never an RCR type? I'm a pro expatria. :D

That said, I served with a number of men for whom I have the greatest admiration and respect. In my experience, these genuine soldiers didn't concern themselves with banalities that consume antiquarians or denizens of regimental museums. Serving soldiers have more pressing concerns like practicing and perfecting their profession of arms.

Last edited:

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
Strome was awesome. I had the pleasure of being his "aide" twice when he visited 2RCR and while he was serving as Honorary Colonel. I own a couple of his books (ie "Bravely Into Battle") and I proudly have his signature on one of them. I loved his no nonsense approach and his disdain for the typical polished officer of the time

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Strome was awesome. I had the pleasure of being his "aide" twice when he visited 2RCR and while he was serving as Honorary Colonel. I own a couple of his books (ie "Bravely Into Battle") and I proudly have his signature on one of them. I loved his no nonsense approach and his disdain for the typical polished officer of the time
His regular column in Legion Magazine was brilliant as well.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I remember Strome as the Colonel of the Regiment visiting us in Battle School in the field, wearing a forage cap with his combats :) Later on he told us soldiers the story of the Pachino landings and how everyone was throwing up on everyone else because of the waves.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Winter/Spring of 90. I think he also had his CF brass buttons on his combats with his forage cap, Can't remember for sure though.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Winter/Spring of 90.
Ah, okay, so I wasn't misremembering. I seem to recall seeing him at the officer's mess in Wolesley Barracks in August/September '89. (I'm sure I have a photo or two somewhere.) He must have just been named Honourary Colonel.

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
I have commenced the campaign! Turn 1, Mission 1 complete.

If there is interest I could post photos/write a narrative for a turn by turn account of the whole campaign, assuming I get that far :)

Thoughts anyone?