Basic dummy question

labelcd6

Reaction score
First name
Carl
Country
llUnited States
1. I have two 447s and two ? counters (dummies) to place on board.

2. I can place a 447 in hex A1, a 447 in hex A2 and the two dummy counters in hex A5. Right?

3. Can I place a 447 in hex A1 with a dummy on it and a 447 in hex A2 with a dummy on it? If so, does this "conceal" the two 447s normally?

Thanks!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Yes, under the condition the units you are placing OB given concealment counters are in concealment terrain.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In practice, if you have only two "?" counters to place on board, it is hard to deceive your opponent: if you leave your two squads unconcealed, the opponent can see that they are unconcealed and knows that the remaining concealed stack is a dummy. The best you can do is have one unconcealed unit, and one concealed squad with two "?" on top of it - so the opponent knows one of them is a dummy, or all together in one stack (and then the opponent knows one is a dummy). Then when you move, you can split the stack and separate real units and one dummy.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
1. I have two 447s and two ? counters (dummies) to place on board.

2. I can place a 447 in hex A1, a 447 in hex A2 and the two dummy counters in hex A5. Right?

3. Can I place a 447 in hex A1 with a dummy on it and a 447 in hex A2 with a dummy on it? If so, does this "conceal" the two 447s normally?
Rather than referring to the "?" as "dummy" counters you should probably call them OB-given "?" counters. If you take one of the OB-given "?" counters and put another OB-given "?" on top of it, the one on the bottom is a dummy and the one on the top is a concealment counter. Then there are "free" concealment counters you get after both sides have set up, which may be immediately if you are playing the defending side, and the attacking side only enters from offboard. A dummy is an OB-given "?" counter that is set up under another OB-given "?" counter. It may move about like it is a real unit. A concealment counter is either an OB-given "?" counter which was not under any other OB-given "?" or a "free" concealment counter, placed after both sides set up. A concealment counter may not be changed into a dummy at any time.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As the defender, do I get to place these ? Counters before my opponent sees my setup?
I assume we are talking about the "free" concealment counters. That depends. If none of the enemy forces set up on board then yes. If enemy forces set up on board, the defender (or first player setting up) places units and OB-granted concealment counters first, then the second player, then both sides get "free" concealment counters.

OB-given "?" counters are placed as part of set up. Your opponent should step away while you are doing that.

JR

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
setting up unconcealed units next to obvious dummy stack works if the unconcealed units get concealment as out of LOS after all setup. The real stack and the dummy stack merge in the MPh. In the APh, the stack disperses into two stacks. Which one is the dummy? This is the pea under the cup play.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
In practice, if you have only two "?" counters to place on board, it is hard to deceive your opponent
Dummy stacks have other uses than to deceive the opponent. They can deny Concealment gain and/or act as sniper bait, for example.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
setting up unconcealed units next to obvious dummy stack works if the unconcealed units get concealment as out of LOS after all setup. The real stack and the dummy stack merge in the MPh. In the APh, the stack disperses into two stacks. Which one is the dummy? This is the pea under the cup play.
Why not stack them all from the beginning?
You would win time.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dummy stacks have other uses than to deceive the opponent. They can deny Concealment gain and/or act as sniper bait, for example.
Yes, many times that sniper bait is primary. I usually grab maximum 5/8 ?
counters if I’m defender with tanks. I like my tanks all concealed and deployed most confusingly.