Ammunition Shortage

Bill Mitchell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The situation that occurred: scenario is OA28 and SSR2 states that the Germans are under ammunition shortage. My opponent, as the Germans, rolled 11 on a TH shot and marked the circled breakdown, but did not malfunction the weapon. I pointed out that ammunition shortage reduces the B# and it should be malfunctioned. He disagreed and poeted a question on a Swedish website. The response he got, from Klas Malmstrom, whose rules knowledge I respect by the way, supported his view. I am continuing the game that way, but want an official MMP answer before it comes up again.

The pertinent phrase in A19.32 is: " unit replacement does not occur as a result of a 12 TH Dr, but A.11 would apply because all B# and ammunition numbers are decreased by 1 during ammunition shortage." I read this to mean that the B# is 1 less than normal as of the start of the scenario, and therefore the AFV has a B# of 11 and malfunctions, placing the circled B# after resolving the shot. For the answer he got to be correct, the B# does not reduce until after the shot. Please give an official answer.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
You missed this: A19.131. All vehicles and Guns are considered to have a circled B# (D3.71) one lower than their inherent B# during an Ammunition Shortage.

You don't need an official answer because your answer is in the rules. The new B number, which is a circled number, is B11. So, the low ammo is placed. It's not Malf'd.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In this way, machine guns are different. Since they don't get Low Ammo counters, they do breakdown on an 11.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
...The pertinent phrase in A19.32 is: " unit replacement does not occur as a result of a 12 TH Dr, but A.11 would apply because all B# and ammunition numbers are decreased by 1 during ammunition shortage."
You seem to be missing the ASL Journal 5 errata to this rule (which is A19.131, btw, not A19.32):
A19.131: In line 10 replace “all B#” with “all SW Original B#/X# [EXC: DC]”.

So the rule now reads:
"Unit Replacement does not occur as a result of a 12 To Hit DR, but A.11 would apply because all SW Original B#/X# [EXC: DC] and Ammunition Depletion Numbers are decreased by one during an Ammunition Shortage."

I.e., "SW".

I read this to mean that the B# is 1 less than normal as of the start of the scenario, and therefore the AFV has a B# of 11 and malfunctions, placing the circled B# after resolving the shot. For the answer he got to be correct, the B# does not reduce until after the shot. Please give an official answer.
Btw, if you want an "official" MMP answer - you need to send them a Q&A email.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
However, if your opponents vehicle was a circled B# vehicle to begin with it would be marked as to already have a Low Ammo counter on it at scenario start and therefore you'd be correct it would malfunction.
A19.131...Those which already have a circled B# start play with a Low Ammo counter already in place.

The rule is written a little crazy and seems to foster some confusion as the fist part of the rule states all vehicles start with a circled B# and the sentence above (coming later in the paragraph) only implies but does not so state, that only an original circled B# vehicle would be so effected.