Orsogna Project

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is your project and subject to your decisions but I am unsure why you do not choose to use 'official' terrain art?

As Mark P says, it is a very good innovative project that could bring about some future projects. Imagine all of the various Stalingrad maps laid out and instead of fighting each battle you could utilize your design and then pick the battles that you wish to fight. I also think that this system would work very well for the early battles of attrition in and around Smolensk.

Good Luck with the whole project!

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Thanks. What does this do? Is it any different than brush?
I'm treating it exactly as in HOB Kreta Operation Merkur it's treated ... they are like Orchard in-season, but they are also Ambush and Bog terrain. 3MF for Infantry to entry and 4MP for vehicles (only fully tracked ones can).

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm treating it exactly as in HOB Kreta Operation Merkur it's treated ... they are like Orchard in-season, but they are also Ambush and Bog terrain. 3MF for Infantry to entry and 4MP for vehicles (only fully tracked ones can).
Interesting, thanks.

mhrabak

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That brown color won't fly. That will be deemed wooden. Unless you show a thumb and say buildings like this are all stone, the roof is shown thus to simulate terra-cotta tiles (or whatever it is) and is for aesthetics only. But what you have depicted right now can be easily interpreted as a mixed building type for which there is no formal rule in the ASLRB. (Other TPP have done mixed type, and these are explained by rule).
I am immediately drawn to the crisp look of the map, but the up to three different color buildings in the same hex causes extreme confusion. Admittedly, I have nowhere near the experience or level of expertise of these previous commenters, but I think they make extremely valuable comments.

All of that said, I intend to support your products, as I enjoy the innovative nature of them, and I wish you all the best with bringing these projects forward.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats on hitting your pre-order target for Biazza Ridge. Here's hoping both modules end up getting published. Looking forward to seeing what they look like!

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly

Orsogna's countryside, December 1943, "soft terrain" fields, out-of season orchards, vineyards, Woods, brush, Olive Groves...

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I much prefer this artwork to the standard depictions. The poor quality artwork on ASL HASL maps has long been a complaint of mine. I can't see any instances in the presented example where building shadows would result in LOS ambiguity, although I could see where the shadows in the (out of season?) orchard hexes might be mistaken for shellhole hexes, at least until one got used to looking at them.

The one criticism above I'd agree with is going to light colored grid coordinates when it appears against dark backgrounds. Also the rubble hexes could use some work - they look like someone just dropped a bunch of pins on the map.

Last edited:

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 13780

Orsogna's countryside, December 1943, "soft terrain" fields, out-of season orchards, vineyards, Woods, brush, Olive Groves...
this looks nice. clear elevation lines are always a good thing.
I'm guessing that EE35 is woods and DD35 is brush?? and that would make EE38 Orchards?
FF39?????????? WTF is that?
building does not need shadow and for that matter neither do the woods or any terrain , please!!!

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
I don't like shadow effects. Doesn't produce a 3D illusion and adds little at the cost of confusion.

Not having clear building locations makes for a lot of problems too. Somehow the white dots have to be inside the buildings or you can shoot round corners and other mind bending effects.

I sympathise with the better graphics for woods, brush and orchards but maybe it is a little too much.

Interesting topic for a small module. I applaud the creation of mini-HASL style maps. I think it is a way forward. After seeing a HASL map I never wanted to play on a GEOBOARD again.

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
... Somehow the white dots have to be inside the buildings or you can shoot round corners and other mind bending effects.

... Interesting topic for a small module. I applaud the creation of mini-HASL style maps. I think it is a way forward. After seeing a HASL map I never wanted to play on a GEOBOARD again....
There is no need to have white dots inside the building depiction, the latter will work as an obstacle the same, there are many examples in GEO and HASL boards. It will be not so mini as an HASL board since it could be 120 hexes per 54, depicting 3.5 km of battle front.

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
I'm just not clear how FF19 could fire on HH19 and vice-versa and both get their building TEM. Maybe I am missing something but can't you just jiggle the terrain to avoid this kind of anomaly?

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I'm just not clear how FF19 could fire on HH19 and vice-versa and both get their building TEM. Maybe I am missing something but can't you just jiggle the terrain to avoid this kind of anomaly?
Yes that part is still in Beta version... the building in FF19 must be in a different position. However modeling with hexes gives this kind of problems.