CtR: effects of Underground Explosion on terrain

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I think the rules about the effects of Underground Explosion on terrain are not accurate enough.

It is said that Shellholes are automatically created.
I suppose it is only the case in open ground or brush, not in jungle or building hex.

It is also said that an original "2" DR eliminates existing terrain like jungle, brush, fortifications.
I suppose Shellholes are also created in addition of the placement of the Open Ground counter.

Please could you tell me if I am right in these two cases?

Finally, what is the effect of Underground Explosion:
  • on a debris hex?
  • on a rubble hex?
  • on a Gun Battery/Mortar Pit hex other than the Powder Magazine hex?
Are these hexes treated as Open Ground or Building hex for that purpose?

Thanks for all.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the rules about the effects of Underground Explosion on terrain are not accurate enough.

I suppose it is only the case in open ground or brush, not in jungle or building hex.

It is also said that an original "2" DR eliminates existing terrain like jungle, brush, fortifications.
I suppose Shellholes are also created in addition of the placement of the Open Ground counter.

Please could you tell me if I am right in these two cases?

• on a debris hex?
  • on a rubble hex?
Are these hexes treated as Open Ground or Building hex for that purpose?

Thanks for all.
The 1st paragraph of B2.1 should answer your question: "...a Shellhole hex; the in-hex terrain (and any Flame/Blaze already in it) is considered to no longer exist at allJ11.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
See the little J11 in his answer? That indicates it is errata from Journal 11. The p-ASLRB needs to have such errata since its issue added to it.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
See the little J11 in his answer? That indicates it is errata from Journal 11. The p-ASLRB needs to have such errata since its issue added to it.
Fine. Thanks for the reference. I can't wait for an e-ASLRB.;)

Nevertheless, the Corregidor rules about the effects of Underground Explosion should be clarified as according to the Corregidor rules, the in-hex terrain doesn't automatically disappear:
  • never the case for a building; it can become Rubble
  • jungle, fortifications, brush can only disappear with an original "2" DR
So I am expecting an official answer from Rick.

Thanks.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, you should expect "official" answer from Rick. I was just answering about the other part.

You may wait a very* long time for an e-ASLRB. You are better off waiting for something else...

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Correct. From B2.1 the only terrain on the map that applies is Open Ground and brush.

Correct. The inclusion of brush here is not necessary as it is covered already under B2.1. For jungle and fortifications, an original 2 DR will clear them (ie make the hex Open Ground) as well as cause the creation of shellholes.

• on a debris hex?
The debris remains and shellholes are added to the hex.

• on a rubble hex?
It remains rubble, though anyone in the hex is toast.

Determine if the hex is rubbled or not (B24.11). Treat it like a single story stone building for this purpose.