WO 2020 begins

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What you don't have enough left over counters at this stage to build your own lamp?
If you are the sort that clips counters you can use your saved clippings (you save them, right? Of course you do; what am I saying?) to make a counter clipping mosaic. As did one creative player in northern New Jersey, who shall remain nameless lest he be targeted by counter clipping mosaic thieves.

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I used my clipping as fire place starter fodder...I heard a gang "tagged" his mosaic on Broad and 154th street in Trenton.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was a large glass bottle, rounded, like the wines you eschew come in, filled with counters of all types, and already properly-pre-wired to be a lamp and had a shade nice beige shade. For a man cave it has street-cred. The wife or gf. would chuck it in the bin on your first business trip away. 'Honey, I knocked it off the table by accident, so sorry...' <bats eye lashes and gives sniffle>. Some one here will have a pix to post.

Last edited:

Scott_Blanton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One year at Winter Offensive, I won a gallon sized bag of counters in a mystery box. When I brought it home, Crystal took them and made a lamp. We showed it to MMP and it may have inspired them to give some away the following year at WO. This is my reading lamp. I have a smaller one at the store. I may still have counters in that gallon sized bag.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We showed it to MMP and it may have inspired them to give some away the following year at WO.

View attachment 11751
I don't think I was at that WO, but several years ago I bought one on eBay that was listed as a WO raffle prize (if I remember correctly). It came without a lampshade, which was easily purchased at a local Home Depot. I later saw kits that you could buy with the bulb socket already wired - you just had to fill it up with whatever you wanted and buy a shade. Mine is the size of a canning jar that people use for home canning for preserves or pickles (bulb socket assembly is mounted on the lid). You can google "fillable lamps" for ideas. A very cool item which currently helps illuminate my game room.
I also found clear glass ornament bulbs at a local craft store which I filled with old counters for the Christmas tree each year. My wife was okay with the lamp, but gave me a bit of the stink eye the first year they were hung on the tree. Her main concern at this point is what to do with my war game collection when it comes time to make decisions on its disposition. YOLO.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Damn it, now I have to go out and make one.

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"I don't think I was at that WO, but several years ago I bought one on eBay that was listed as a WO raffle prize (if I remember correctly)."

Ha! That might have been me that sold it to you on eBay. I won one at the WO raffle about a decade ago along with a Curt Schilling autographed jersey.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It's all great fun until you need that German concealment counter at the bottom.

JR