Rulebook soon available ?

Rison.Az

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was what we wanted to do, and what I expected to do, but we had to put it off again. :(

Too many formatting issues spread across the expanse of the rulebook.

Can't wait any longer to get the ASLRB back into print, so we are going with a straight reprint.
Thanks for the response Perry. All of us are anxious for the errata to be incorporated, but agreed that it needs to be back in print if that process is going to take too long.

While we got your ear: on a similar note, is the thought to wait for Italians and the updated desert rules to be released before doing the pocket chapter H and potentially a fully updated ASLRB with all errata? Somewhat like ASLRB v2.5?

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
disappointing news:cautious: I realise MMP need to have a copy of the rulebook in print but, as previously said by others, here's hoping that they are still going to work on a proper updated edition

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
disappointing news:cautious: I realise MMP need to have a copy of the rulebook in print but, as previously said by others, here's hoping that they are still going to work on a proper updated edition
I am disappointed also.
Work continues on updated ASLRB.
Work continues on eASLRB.
Work continues on ASLRB 3rd edition.
Sorry, no ETA on any of that.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am disappointed also.
Work continues on updated ASLRB.
Work continues on eASLRB.
Work continues on ASLRB 3rd edition.
Sorry, no ETA on any of that.
Thanks for letting us know, good to know that things are moving forward at least?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for letting us know, good to know that things are moving forward at least?
Was there actually evidence of anything "moving forward" in that post? No offense to anybody, but I'd like to see some evidence of some progress somewhere.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Was there actually evidence of anything "moving forward" in that post? No offense to anybody, but I'd like to see some evidence of some progress somewhere.
Fair point, it sounds like they are moving forward though

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fair point, it sounds like they are moving forward though
I guess my whole point is that it doesn't necessarily sound like that at all. "Sounds like they are moving forward" would have at least some descriptions of concrete milestones accomplished along the way, demonstrating progress. Like "we've finished with Chapter D and are now working on Chapter E," etc.

"Work continues" is meaningless--and in the history of wargaming it is used all too often to mean "work is not actually taking place at the moment but we haven't necessarily given up on the project."

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Work continues" is meaningless--and in the history of wargaming it is used all too often to mean "work is not actually taking place at the moment but we haven't necessarily given up on the project."
Hopefully it doesn't mean that, but the only evidence to the contrary I could offer is MMP's track record of not doing things like that, I suppose.

But if I may, "work continues" may be shorthand for "You guys really don't want to hear all the niggling and excruciatingly tedious details of what we have to deal with in scoping out what the next ASLRB would look like." I can imagine it could involve engagement with the printer, tradeoff between amount of paper used and cost, and how that relates to the font size and graphics used, maybe even how much the final product would weigh and how that relates to shipping, paper quality issues, longer-term issues relating to how to format the product for easier maintainability and cross-benefits with the electronic version, etc.

So, no, I imagine there could very well be a lot of irons in the fire that don't necessarily lend themselves to easy milestones like, "Done with Chapter C, now on to Chapter D". Now, you're right that glossing over all that does tend to lead one to think, "Well, what IS going on?", and in those cases, I tend to offer some level of detail without boring my customer silly: "We're looking at some formatting tradeoffs and how they relate to cost and maintainability down the road." That kind of thing is giving the customer a true story without making them sorry they asked.

Course, Perry may also just hate us and enjoy keeping us in the dark. I mean, let's not forget that.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I guess my whole point is that it doesn't necessarily sound like that at all. "Sounds like they are moving forward" would have at least some descriptions of concrete milestones accomplished along the way, demonstrating progress. Like "we've finished with Chapter D and are now working on Chapter E," etc.

Got you, I guess I'm just trying to be positive is all

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The problem we have here is that we all want a lot of things. Unfortunately, it does not appear MMP has the resources to work on all of the items we want so they have to prioritize them. If they were Apple, Alphabet inc., or Microsoft we could discuss their prioritization as they have the resources to work on a bunch of different projects at the same time. You forget that probably most of the people who work at MMP do so in what is essentially their spare time. What we have now is a vast improvement over what it was two years ago so this leads me to believe that they are doing the best they can. All I can say is that the only way we can get them to work on all these things at once is to perhaps donate several million dollars to MMP so they can increase their company's capabilities. Personally, I don't have a spare ten or twelve million bucks to give to MMP. Maybe there is a billionaire ASL player who can act as an angel to the ASL community.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The problem we have here is that we all want a lot of things. Unfortunately, it does not appear MMP has the resources to work on all of the items we want so they have to prioritize them. If they were Apple, Alphabet inc., or Microsoft we could discuss their prioritization as they have the resources to work on a bunch of different projects at the same time. You forget that probably most of the people who work at MMP do so in what is essentially their spare time. What we have now is a vast improvement over what it was two years ago so this leads me to believe that they are doing the best they can. All I can say is that the only way we can get them to work on all these things at once is to perhaps donate several million dollars to MMP so they can increase their company's capabilities. Personally, I don't have a spare ten or twelve million bucks to give to MMP. Maybe there is a billionaire ASL player who can act as an angel to the ASL community.
In ASL, as in many other things, it is often the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. As a consumer, you have every right to express your expectations to any company whose products you purchase.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In ASL, as in many other things, it is often the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. As a consumer, you have every right to express your expectations to any company whose products you purchase.
True, but it is also good to keep in mind the limitation of the companies in question.