Leader location in a stack

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
If I am setting up as the Defender, I will generally put leaders on the bottom with possession of SWs and the squads on top.

Once "?" have been placed I will then transfer the SW to the squad and then put the leader on top. Makes it easy to then remember there's a leader there and their MC is required first.

With brokies, I will place them at the top of the stack to remind me to rout them.

Once done the leaders will again be on top, or be revealed and then have the choice to voluntarily rout with brokies.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I am setting up as the Defender, I will generally put leaders on the bottom with possession of SWs and the squads on top.

Once "?" have been placed I will then transfer the SW to the squad and then put the leader on top. Makes it easy to then remember there's a leader there and their MC is required first.

With brokies, I will place them at the top of the stack to remind me to rout them.

Once done the leaders will again be on top, or be revealed and then have the choice to voluntarily rout with brokies.
That's how I play as well. Most guys I've played do the same thing...
Steve

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't even get up to go to the toilet. Just piss on the floor and make sure that you are not wasting time. To do anything else is to let your opponent know that you are a shabby human being. Do YOU WANT TO BE SHUNNED?!
I used to do this out of respect for my opponents, but it’s apparently “illegal” and “not within the parameters of our contract with the convention venue”

Really makes you wonder what the world is coming to.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Little bit of a stretch because real snipers can’t stop the battle to look at stacks with a whim.
Good realism point...which kind of applies to regular infantry. They can see that enemy squad/platoon (10-30 troops) sitting 240meters away, how are they able to distinguish which is a leader vs a regular private? Or whether that leader is a 6+1 or a 10-3?

Thus the accusation of “hiding” leaders just strikes me as kind of wimpy/petulant...not to mention a false accusation.

If I want to know what’s in a visible un-? stack, I will ask my opponent...if he refuses (which has NEVER happened), I’ll pick the stack and look myself.

Just a side question, do you put your armored leaders on your vehicles with a additional buttoned up/crew exposed counter on it or do you keep a side note? I keep a side note but space out and forget them 10% of the time. I wonder why sometimes.
If I have an AL...I put an actual turret counter (regardless of need) on each AFV, which could contain the AL, and write a letter or number on each of those Turret counters. I make a side note of which marked turret counter has the AL. The presence of the marked turret counters act as a visible reminder that I have an AL while the marking let’s me know which AFV he is in.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
One - practical - reason to have the leaders on top of a stack is that they take their TC/MC first.
It is easier to roll those checks "ttb".
One - practical - reason to have leaders placed elsewhere in a stack is during CC, when you pair them with a MMC which may be other than the one on top of the stack.
The first reason is much more frequent than the secone one, though.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only people who want to slow down the game put the troll BELOW the bridge.
But then you have to pass your TQTC (Troll Quiz Task Check) to cross the bridge. Do we need 3 x SBGGCs (Single Billy Goats Gruff Counters)?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Based on M. E. Clifton James I have been putting a 10-3 leader in every British stack. Based on this thread I realize I have to put that leader on top too.

JR

Last edited:

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, the troll should be placed under the bridge [as least according to the Brothers Grimm rules].

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
One thing I’ve seen at a couple of tourneys is the placing initially of leaders on the bottom prior to sniper placement and then put on top after. The said it was to stop placing the sniper closer to known good leaders?

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One thing I’ve seen at a couple of tourneys is the placing initially of leaders on the bottom prior to sniper placement and then put on top after. The said it was to stop placing the sniper closer to known good leaders?
Yes, that is what most players do. Others don't do that...
Steve

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States

This is what I do as well. But after the game starts, I do not purposely put leaders on bottom.

Hell, I'D forget where the are and have to paw through my own damn stacks.

Peace

Roger