Leader location in a stack

msoong38

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Normally my leader is on top, but sometimes a leader and Squad A have fired so they are under a First fire marker, Squad B who hasn't fired will get moved to the top as a reminder for me and my opponent. (especially in a PBEM VASL game, there is no way I will remember otherwise that unit B is in a different state)

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
The essential question is about social relationships and how we organise them.
"Social relationships"?! At a game table?! No way, that shit slows the game down!

SPEED OF PLAY is the important criteria, remember. If you are wasting time by doing stuff like, greeting your opponent, asking him about his day (let alone divulging any info about your day) you are being highly insulting to your opponent. Roll the dice, push the counters around, if you do anything else you are a rude bastard and should be shunned.

We are relating.
SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Don't even get up to go to the toilet. Just piss on the floor and make sure that you are not wasting time. To do anything else is to let your opponent know that you are a shabby human being. Do YOU WANT TO BE SHUNNED?!

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"Social relationships"?! At a game table?! No way, that shit slows the game down!

SPEED OF PLAY is the important criteria, remember. If you are wasting time by doing stuff like, greeting your opponent, asking him about his day (let alone divulging any info about your day) you are being highly insulting to your opponent. Roll the dice, push the counters around, if you do anything else you are a rude bastard and should be shunned.

SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Don't even get up to go to the toilet. Just piss on the floor and make sure that you are not wasting time. To do anything else is to let your opponent know that you are a shabby human being. Do YOU WANT TO BE SHUNNED?!
Here's a good point.

#1 : I don't consciously put my leader on top but I usually do 'cause I won't remember them otherwise. Actually I put brokies on top so I remember to rally them.

I put them where I put them 'cause I want to. But after this thread if I don't put my leaders on top I am now the "Bush League" (not to say I am not, but let's not rub it in) and if I put my leaders on top I am blatantly trying to pretend I am not in the "Bush League".

Going back to Bruce's point : while I definitely do my best to play fast, I don't know why "playing fast" is now the "end all and be all". I have been in finance all my life, where if you don't reply to an email within 2 mins someone ring/chat you up and ask you what your problem is. ASL is what I do in my down time. WHAT THE HECK IS THE RUSH??? Where are we doing? What metrics are we trying to beat?? Who's coming after us?? Who's on fire??

Keep in mind I am one of the most impatient person ever (typical attention span of everyone in my field) .. but man, I do ASL 'cause I like the people I meet. Lets not use opponents as AI proxies.

Let's calm down here people.

Last edited:

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I swear, when I first saw the original post, I thought, "This is like stepping into a time capsule." This topic of "leader on top" has been discussed before, years ago. I just know it has.

Was it the ASLML??

I actually thought it was posted as a joke! Things are getting so lame, let's start a flamewar just for the hell of it..

Seriously. All of you - and I mean all of you -- are too good of players to be slowed down or bothered one iota where the leader is stacked. If anything, you all put it on top so you don't forget to do his MC first, etc.

Incidentally, I still think the original post was a lark and not seriously intended. Just my opinion, of course.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Just a side question, do you put your armored leaders on your vehicles with a additional buttoned up/crew exposed counter on it or do you keep a side note? I keep a side note but space out and forget them 10% of the time. I wonder why sometimes.
I usually remember them once my first tank is wiped out - 99% of the time they are in that tank. :D

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When we first started playing we would write the armor leader lightly in pencil on the back of the counter. Made it easier to remember and easy to erase at the end of the scenario...
Steve

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
When we first started playing we would write the armor leader lightly in pencil on the back of the counter. Made it easier to remember and easy to erase at the end of the scenario...
Steve
Then, when you turned it over to the Wreck side, you could remember to count the extra VP for the opponent.

Smart play, and definitely speeds up the game.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then, when you turned it over to the Wreck side, you could remember to count the extra VP for the opponent.

Smart play, and definitely speeds up the game.
Not perfect, but it worked for us. Now I write it down and try to remember the AFV ID with some sort of mnemonic. Usually works...
Steve

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Steve
A small piece of Post-It would also do it easily.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I asked the same question up thread, now that I'm at home, I have taken a look. Here's what I see in the 4th Edition SL rules:

and this:

I wonder if that didn't persuade all us OCD types to put them on the top.
Hmmm, so where did i get that habit? I have been doing this since 1977!!!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like your thinking Peter but allow me to play devils advocate.
Notice the HW markers are sloppily placed at 45 deg instead of the proper 60 degree pivot off the horizontal axis. My carpenter eye noticed this 15 deg screw up. Makes one wonder what else they got wrong, stacking order for instance. Wtf

Concerning the armored leaders, does the armored leader placed represent a CE crew or does one need a BU turret marker on top of the leader counter to confirm that this tank is in fact buttoned up?

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I record my Armor Leader's location on a side note until I use their morale/leadership factor... as per D3.41.
I ALWAYS put my armor leader in vehicle B. It's easy to remember that way. -- jim