Leader location in a stack

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rules make it perfectly legal for me to inspect your stack. As you have done, I reject the notion that my exercising a perfectly legal option is poor etiquette. Funny the things we bristle at :) De gustibus non est disputandum. -- jim

I have no problem with someone looking through my stacks as long as it doesn't become excessive (assuming LOS, no concealment, etc). You quoted me out of context about touching the other players counters. It was in relation to the guy that wanted to rearrange all my stacks to suit his liking and just proceeded to do so.

Seth

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bob sits down and finishes his set up at a ASL tournament against a unknown player from Kalamazoo. “OK, I guess I’m ready, let’s put down snipers ...”.
The game proceeds and on turn one Bob’s Mk 4 panzer takes a 8 +3 bounding fire at a stone building with a tall stack of Russians in it. “ Six ! That’s a pin check, what do you have in there ?”
Kalamazoo: “ a squad with a medium...”
Bob: “ ...and ????”
Kalamazoo: “ a 8-1 leader.”
Bob: “Why is he on the bottom ? Don’t you want him to oversee that mmg ?”
Kalamazoo: “I thought it was a good semi-sneaky move to deceive you.”
Bob: “ It didn’t work.”
Kalamazoo: “ I see that and I’ll never do it again.”
Bob: “ You rock !”
The end.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
As for the leader thing? If you wanna see my leader on the bottom, that's fine, if you want him on top that's fine too. We are easy if an opponent ask nicely.
You are a truly a gentleman. When I play you I might try asking nicely if I can see your 9-2 on the dead-pile. ?

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Bob: “Why is he on the bottom ? Don’t you want him to oversee that mmg ?”
Just for the record:
Is there any requirement for the leader to be above the SW he wants to oversee or the unit the morale of which he wants to affect?

"A7.531 A leader may use his leadership DRM (10.7) to modify the IFT DR of any one attacking unit or FG per Player Turn, provided all firing units of the FG are in the same Location. A leadership DRM may be employed with a multihex/Location FG only if a leader directing that attack is present in every Location; the leadership DRM in effect is that of the lowest quality participating leader. A Leader affects the To Hit DR of an ordnance SW—not the effects of those hits on the IFT or AFV To Kill Table, nor the chance of a weapon malfunction. A Leader directing fire is marked with an appropriate Fire counter."

"A10.21 LEADERSHIP DRM: The only applicable DRM to a MC/TC DR [EXC: LLMC/LLTC/WP/Bombardment MC] is the leadership modifier of one available unbroken leader in the same Location (or moving stack in the case of Defensive First Fire). The leadership modifiers of multiple leaders in a Location or moving stack are not cumulative; the owner must choose which leadership DRM to apply (10.72). Normal, un-reversed leadership DRM are NA to LLMC/LLTC."

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this game for decades and have never had the need to touch my opponent’s stacks.
That is not the point...the point is it is legal to touch / rifle stacks in LOS that are unconcealed...

The point at hand is about etiquette ...one's leaders should go on top when it does not matter (i.e. ? lost, post pregame set up and ? gain etc)...

and the other etiquette is "although I am allowed to handle / rifle your stacks in LOS" out of etiquette I should not.

You need to read this thread through more carefully and follow the point the Bishop is making (and keep in mind the position Steve made too).

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Silly thread for me. My opponents generally remember where my stuff is on the map better than I do. I have non-assault moved a dummy stack in the open before, deceiving only me.

:oops:

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The question of where a leader should be in a stack will vary greatly depending up on the situation. This is especially true when there are combinations of broken, concealed, cx, different levels, pinned, prep fired or first fire counters etc. in a given stack. My leaders will regularly change position in a stack depending upon LOS, the various units' status or upon the sequence in which I intend to fire/move them if I am attacking. I'll tell you right now that my broken unit(s) WILL be on top of the stack by the end of the CC Phase so I will remember to rally them.

You can place your leaders anywhere you want in your stack if you are playing me. I do not need to see every leader, HMG, FT or other high value target to succeed against you. I've been playing SL/ASL for 41 years and where your leaders are in a stack in no way vexes me, delays my play, confuses or inconveniences me. I have no whacky OCD or control issues that compel me to dictate or pressure you to stack your leaders according to my will or idea of where they should be. If I need to know what's in a stack over which I have right of inspection, I will not touch them and cause a REAL game slowing "stack-valanche". I'll just ask you what's in there and our game will proceed without any delay. In short, I'm not a "Stack Nazi". Stack'em where you want to boys!

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The question of where a leader should be in a stack will vary greatly depending up on the situation. This is especially true when there are combinations of broken, concealed, cx, different levels, pinned, prep fired or first fire counters etc. in a given stack. My leaders will regularly change position in a stack depending upon LOS, the various units' status or upon the sequence in which I intend to fire/move them if I am attacking. I'll tell you right now that my broken unit(s) WILL be on top of the stack by the end of the CC Phase so I will remember to rally them.

You can place your leaders anywhere you want in your stack if you are playing me. I do not need to see every leader, HMG, FT or other high value target to succeed against you. I've been playing SL/ASL for 41 years and where your leaders are in a stack in no way vexes me, delays my play, confuses or inconveniences me. I have no whacky OCD or control issues that compel me to dictate or pressure you to stack your leaders according to my will or idea of where they should be. If I need to know what's in a stack over which I have right of inspection, I will not touch them and cause a REAL game slowing "stack-valanche". I'll just ask you what's in there and our game will proceed without any delay. In short, I'm not a "Stack Nazi". Stack'em where you want to boys!
This! Nothing to add to that.

von Marwitz

Grumblejones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

My thoughts exactly.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
There are no "stack Nazis".
The Godwin point took time to be reached, but this thread successfully managed to do it.