Leader location in a stack

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Has anyone other than me ever broken a stack apart for a big CC or some other purpose, reassembled it carelessly with the leader underneath, and forgotten the leader was there?
That's why my leaders go on top.
Yup. Been putting leaders on top since my Squad Leader days circa 1985 or so. Pretty much habit by this point.

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States
If Trump played ASL, would he follow convention, or hide his leaders in the stacks? :unsure::p

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't believe in the concept of "bushleague"--it's just a euphemism for "other people have difference preferences and I don't like that fact".

Putting your leaders on top is voluntarily lifting some of the mental burden of playing ASL from your opponent. It's no different from asking him whether he meant not to move a unit or repair a SW, or prompting him about a rule you suspect he forgot. There are some games where that's the appropriate thing to do (teaching games, friendly games where that's the expectation between you and your opponent). There are some games where it is a perfectly fine thing to do, but there is no expectation to do it (competitive games).

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The "bush league" bit doesn't faze me one bit, I will never be in Pleva's league in this lifetime!
As for the leader thing? If you wanna see my leader on the bottom, that's fine, if you want him on top that's fine too. We are easy if an opponent ask nicely.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I have to say that I think my initial use of language was a bit strong. Sorry.

But I reject the idea of someones perfectly legal and preferred stacking order being somehow poor etiquette and bush league. Perhaps Steve's idea of poor etiquette and mine are different.

I could list a whole bunch of things that truly are poor etiquette. One of which goes to the above mentioned touching the other players counters.
The rules make it perfectly legal for me to inspect your stack. As you have done, I reject the notion that my exercising a perfectly legal option is poor etiquette. Funny the things we bristle at :) De gustibus non est disputandum. -- jim

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure, it's legal for you to reach over and inspect another player's stack. But when there's concealed units in there, it's real easy to see more than you should. So that's why I ask them to provide the info.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Sure, it's legal for you to reach over and inspect another player's stack. But when there's concealed units in there, it's real easy to see more than you should. So that's why I ask them to provide the info.
I totally understand and will always ask. I was just pointing out "the rules say I am good" can cut both ways. As I said, it's funny the things we bristle over. -- jim