DASL WA question

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As always, one's understanding of the ASLRB does not survive first contact with reality.

Consider the situation below. It's the German APh. How do they think about keeping the Russians from crossing the street? (Wise Guy End Runs not applicable here).

The guy in D2 stays put, just for argument's sake. There's too many walls in his hex for him to defend by himself anyway, and the Russians pinky-swear promise not to go around his side. So the guy in E2 thinks about claiming the E2/F2 wall, as shown below. That would let him cover F2 and E3, say, which allows the 338 in F1 to claim the F1/G2 wall, as shown below, to cover G2:

Ah! But! The Russian Death Stack in D4 (OK, just a MMG... just go with me here) has LOS to both ends of the E2/F2 wall without crossing the wall (right?), so in the upcoming Russian Prep Fire, he'd get a 4-down-2 shot at the 467, right? And the same goes for firing at the 338 in F1, right?

So the German says aha, we'll put E2 in the building (covering E3) and have F1 claim WA over the F1-F2 wall (covering F2) and get D2 in the action, claiming the D2-D3 wall and covering D3 (as below):

Which keeps everybody under +2 or +3 cover against the 10-2/MMG Prep Fire, but if I'm not mistaken, allows the 527 in G3 to move to G2 and instantly claim the G2-F1 wall, correct? Which is bad.

So the lesson is: in DASL, it's not just about covering approach hexes; you need to have enough units to cover all the walls that border on the approach hexes?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My understanding is a unit can claim WA over all the wall hexside in his hex.
It's just say there as a wall between F2 and F3, despite the German unit in F1 having WA, a Russian in F2 coukd claim WA over the F2 F3 wall.

Or in your final example, the russian unit could claim WA over G1/G2

aloha_brian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe the F1 guys can have both the F1/F2 and the F1/G2 walls. I believe a unit can take all available walls when they take wall advantage.

Ok, what Vinnie just said.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In DASL, WA is gained/lost per wall hexside; it's an EXC to the normal "you gain WA over all the walls in your hex" idea from B9.321.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In DASL, WA is gained/lost per wall hexside; it's an EXC to the normal "you gain WA over all the walls in your hex" idea from B9.321.
No it's not. You still gain WE over every wall in your hex but just because an enemy has WA over one wall hexside, does not prevent you from gaining WA over another.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
See the WA example at the end of the walls section. It's pretty clear.
Can't post the picture easily but here's the text.

EX: All hedges are bocage, and Deluxe ASL rules are in effect. For purposes of this example, white WA markers represent the situation after the British Infantry moves, and light pink markers (as well as the Carrier wreck) represent the situation at the end of the MPh. A German 6-5-8 squad in gM3 has WA over all 4 wall and hedge hexsides.

A British 4-4-7 squad enters L3 and claims WA over L3-M4, L3-L2, and L3-K3, while the German squad retains WA over L3-M3. The British squad has no LOS to any non-adjacent hexes where the LOS crosses the L3-M3 hexside inclusive of vertices; e.g. M2, N2, and N3 (9.521).

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WHOA!

Thanks, Vinnie! That's the kind of sideways thinkin' that I lack :)

We're supposed to read the examples?