D14.23 Non-Platoon Movement and Motion Fire and Acquisition

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Two questions in one...

Situation:
Three radioless AFV are in single file and in Motion. An enemy AFV ends its MPh in LOS of the two rearmost AFV.

1. The radioless AFV in the centre declares a DFPh shot but misses. Is Acquisition gained on the enemy tank?

2. During the subsequent PFPh, the same AFV declares a Prep Fire shot on the enemy AFV.

a. Is this permitted? Or must the AFV wait until the MPh and declare a Bounding First Fire shot (e.g., at the beginning of its MPh)?

b. If the Prep Fire shot is permitted, what, if any, restrictions are placed on the AFV either side of the firer?

For example, may the radioless AFV either side of the firer move in the MPh?
i) If so, may they move to close the gap and continue moving as a platoon?
ii) Or must they both pass a NTC in order to move independently (possibly to close the gap and resume Platoon Movement)?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
  1. No, unless he has a Gyro, you do not gain acquitoon if in motion.
  2. not legal since he is in motion he MUST spend a stop MP so cannot prep fire.
a. above
b. above

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I am confused. The three vehicles are in Motion. Any of the three would gain acquisition if they are Gyro-stabilized. Otherwise Motion vehicles can't can acquisition. Motion vehicles also can't fire during the PFPh. None of this has anything to do with platoon movement. Is there something missing from the question?

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am confused. The three vehicles are in Motion. Any of the three would gain acquisition if they are Gyro-stabilized. Otherwise Motion vehicles can't can acquisition. Motion vehicles also can't fire during the PFPh. None of this has anything to do with platoon movement. Is there something missing from the question?

JR
I think he was hoping to shoot the middle one, gain ACQ and then prep fire him again and move the other2 round in a fresh platoon, but this is of course not possible.
Now if the platoon was all stopped, it would be possible but the other 2 would ahve to pass NTC to move as they could not form a platoon that turn.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My oppo is a newbie. I think this was his first radioless rodeo.

1. I pointed out to him that a Motion AFV could not gain acquisition unless it had a Gyrostabilizer (D11.12). At the time, I couldn't find the rule reference that specifically prohibits placement of an acquisition counter. So I let him place the acquisition counter, and reserved the right to challenge it if it would change a subsequent TH result. (It didn't.)

2. Re the Prep Fire shot, I again tried to find the rule reference prohibiting the shot. My understanding is that a Motion Firer must wait until the MPh to shoot, and would be subject to BFF penalties.

Re Platoon Movement rules, had the AFV undertaken a BFF at the beginning of its MPh, what effect would it have had on the remaining AFV? Are they no longer considered to be using Platoon Movement the moment the middle AFV shoots? If not, can they both start and attempt to close the gap in order to (continue) move as a Platoon?

My thinking is that they cease using Platoon Movement the moment they attempt to move independently from the AFV that fired, regardless of whether this movement is intended to "close the gap."

Edit: Re the second question, I think the answer is in C5.35, although not explictly so. Namely, "A Motion/Non-Stopped vehicle which is moving and wishes to fire [errata included] without stopping (D2.13) first, must add the applicable DRM of Case C4 to its To Hit DR." The key word here I think is "moving." I was looking for a rule reference that explicitly prohibits a a vehicle in Motion from firing during the PFPh. Is there something more explicit? I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

Edit: Found it! Table D3 AFV Phase/Motion Fire Modifiers
(D3) AFV PHASE/MOTION FIRE MODIFIERS
MGFT9OrdnanceNotes
PFPh-StoppedFull FPFull FPNo DRM-
PFPh-MotionCannot fire any weapon

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think he was hoping to shoot the middle one, gain ACQ and then prep fire him again and move the other2 round in a fresh platoon...
Pretty much, although he wasn't trying to reform as a platoon at the time. (Only the rear AFV passed the NTC.) The question about "closing the gap" was a supplemental one that I raised because all of the vehicles were in Motion and in platoon formation at the start of the MPh. Regardless of whether a Prep Fire or BFF shot was taken, I wondered if the remaining AFV could make some sleaze claim to "closing the gap" in order to avoid the NTC.