The ASL Book Club

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have not heard of these, however they do sound interesting. Especially the book about Gen. Patton from the point of view of his adversaries.

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Tank Killers is very good. I have a couple more of his I haven't read yet.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
This guy has written a fair number of books on world war 2 tanks: http://www.yeide.net/World_War_II_History/Home_Page.html. He has a book on the independent tank battalions attached to infantry divisions (as opposed to those in armored divisions) that looks pretty interesting. I have not read any of these, but they caught my attention.

JR
His books are well known in some of the other gaming communities - all of whom seem to recommend these. He used to post in the Combat Mission forums.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just finished Alamein by Stephen Bungay (yes that is his real name) which was good. Couple of things:

- He mentioned an Oscar winning documentary Desert Victory. It is free to view and the best picture quality that I could find was this:

It is annoying to have to watch it in 10 min intervals but otherwise it was the best quality I could find.

- He highlighted the fact that this famous photograph was staged:

"This dramatic picture of Australians storming a strong point became one of the best known of the final battle of Alamein. The "strong point" was their cookhouse which Fleet Street photographer Len Chetwin and his crew had set on fire. Their editors were delighted".

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Nice video. I heard no audio. Is there any?
The audio portion is mp3 format (video is h264), so it's unlikely that you don't have a decoder. More likely you have the audio turned off somewhere.

In firefox if you right-click on the page frames below the main window, you get the option to download. You might try downloading.

JR

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I hear the audio when using Google Chrome, but not Safari, in case you are interested.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In clip 4 of 6, one can see Grant tanks moving about; their 75 mm gun is on the wrong side, however. I imagine that at some point between filming and digitising, someone reversed a negative.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I hear the audio when using Google Chrome, but not Safari, in case you are interested.
I can think of no reason Safari can't play a mp3 audio inside an mp4 video container. Search the interwebs; you will probably find a solution to your problem.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
In clip 4 of 6, one can see Grant tanks moving about; their 75 mm gun is on the wrong side, however. I imagine that at some point between filming and printing, someone reversed a negative.
The British re-jiggered a bunch of theirs to allow driving on the left-hand side of the road.

JR

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In clip 4 of 6, one can see Grant tanks moving about; their 75 mm gun is on the wrong side, however. I imagine that at some point between filming and digitising, someone reversed a negative.
Or we might just need a new counter for that secret weapon... ;)

Gorilla crossing the basketball-court anyone? ?

von Marwitz

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For anyone looking for KW material On Desperate Ground by Hampton Sides. Its about Chosin but it gives plenty of background as to what led up to it from the beginning of the war. Great read.

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
I read this book about 8-9 months ago. Very well done. Recommended highly

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There was a thread a while ago discussing the Air War over North Vietnam. What were some of those books?

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There was a thread a while ago discussing the Air War over North Vietnam. What were some of those books?
Thud Ridge is certainly a classic and a book that I enjoyed very much. Also, Thud Pilot by Vizcarra (I think that I liked this better than Thud Ridge). If you are interested in the US Navy perspective, then Over the Beach and On Yankee Station are very good reads.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thud Ridge is certainly a classic and a book that I enjoyed very much. Also, Thud Pilot by Vizcarra (I think that I liked this better than Thud Ridge). If you are interested in the US Navy perspective, then Over the Beach and On Yankee Station are very good reads.
Speaking of Thuds, I would also strongly recommend 'The Hunter Killers ' by Dan Hampton. An excellent account of the first wild weasel squadrons in Vietnam. Of particular note is an excellent description of the SAM shoot-down which led to the creation of these squadrons. The author is a retired USAF F-16 weasel pilot.
Perhaps my favorite book about the Vietnam air war.