So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I think the Americans need to set up a fire base on the two hills in front of the victory hill in order to allow for suppressing fire and keeping the Germans off balance. Of course, the German will probably have his mortar sited in on those hills.

I guess with a 'normal' Amis OB this could help. but, these are 2nd liners: 5 FP, 4 range, 6 moral, and they only have One measly MMG. the germ MTR's in upper level hills look right down on those other hills, albeit with some tricky LOS everywhere. not much time for the Amis to cross all that ground (inc. heaps of bocage) and get more CVP on the upper hill level than the germs. good ground for the defender to fallback through. I'd be interested in hearing more thoughts on this scenario

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Today I played 163 Stopped Cold against my brother Teemu Lukkari, I played the Russian and Teemu was the Finns.

Teemu set up the wire on board 5 flank so I decided to bring in the conscripts as a one huge blob along the board 5/7 seam. The BT tanks went around the board 5 edge through the wire and the T-26s went straight to the trenchline.

Turn 1 the BTs went around and started duelling with Finnish squads in the trenches and woods. The T-26s went straight in the middle and found a string of AT mine hexes, and I lost only one of them, unfortunately this was the FT Tank.

Teemu tried to attack the Russian tanks with MOL and I got my first lucky break as two of the Finnish squads in trenches rolled 6 on the MOL check and broke. This allowed my tanks a relatively free movement in the middle. I was able to secure the flank of my main force.

I managed to push the main force along the river edge and managed to whittle down the Finnish defenses. Teemu bought the reinforcements to the river edge but I got lucky and broke them too on turn 5. On turn 6 I managed to break the last defenders on the river bank and on turn 7 rally the commissar rallied 3 squads and a 8-1 (ELRd from 9-1) and had 25 points of infantry to exit without any resistance. I had two T-26s remaining but I did not need them for points - the tank exit would have been hairy as I there were MOL capable squads and DC in the way.

I have not seen this one won with infantry only exit before.

I have been playing the printed versions Hakkaa Pääle scenarios ever since the module was released and it has been a rewarding experience, as the module has been out 5 years and it has been about 10 years since I playtested them. You can appreciate them better when you have some distance to the playtest grind.

Last edited:

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Many of you here have recommended Friendly Fire FRF98 Amerikanskaya Suka and it didn’t disappoint. Five T-34/85s and four M10s with a mixed Russian infantry force are on the initial attack versus three Panthers, two Jagdpanzer IVs and a similar group of mixed-quality Germans highlighted by an 8-3-8 and flamethrower. The Russians need to hold a 2-hex building in the SW corner of a map area (71Y7) consisting of villages, orchards and woods and also capture a second multi-hex building to the north behind the German line (of which they have several choices). The Germans can set up forward concealed or anywhere north. And the Panther motorized force can come in on the flank and turn the tables!

I rolled hot dice at the beginning and my opponent rolled well in the middle. But at the end his dice failed him. The main fight was in the three-hex stone 71N4 building and the Germans were slowly but surely blasting their way in. At the end, it was held by a fanatic Russian 4-5-8 which survived a couple of big prep fires, but it only pinned and didn’t break. A key move was a Russian hero engaging in CC with a German hero wielding the deadly flamethrower, and locking his counterpart up in melee. I lucked out when my 14+3 shot (rolling snakes) broke all members of the adjacent stack about to advance into CC on the last turn: an 8-1, 8-0, 8-3-8 and 5-4-8. If the Germans had had better luck, we would’ve gone on to resolve the second CC in a wooden building to the east (FrFAW6), which was more of a toss-up. The loss of two Panthers on the east flank due to malfunction and knock-out allowed the Russians to load up and send a pair of rider squads to capture that building. It was a fun tense battle, every turn filled with fear and hope!

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
WP#5 The Last Assault from Lone Canuck was an exciting and fun scenario

ROAR has this one 13/7 Russian vs attacking ss scum across board 12. tough ground: 6.5 turns but they get two king tigers. the ss need a heap of buildings or 30 CVP exited off length of the board to win. looked tough on ss to me so we gave the ss the balance (25 CVP exited), diced for sides, and I got the ss. Bill went to town on the rubble SSR. the whole Russian back field was a mess but I think that helped me in the end

with a strong ss assault on the graveyard building/rubbled mess, several ss MMC's were able to slink along their extreme right. the king tiger led the way, moving onto the small hill, turning the Russian left flank with infantry support. with all the rubble scads of half squads were then able to pour into the Russian rear and gobble up VC buildings for the ss win

highlights include: the Russians getting a slick rear shot and taking out a king tiger (w/the 9-2 AL). but, the other king tiger took out two T34/85's (that enter as turn 4 reinforcements from the ss rear). SSR HtH CC! and heaps of SAN's, (we both lost two of our three at start leaders to SAN action) all made for extra excitement

played fast and the body count was high. we both though it was fun. would play it again as either side but I would not bid ss at a tourney

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP77 Texas Flood over a three day period and 20+ hours. Whew, what a grind! As the attacking Germans I hit and rolled over G Company with the eastern force relatively quickly. The western group made a mad dash for the board 3a buildings with the tanks and a few squads peeling off to engage the HQ force. The turn 2 reinforcements performed mop up duty on the HQ but took some losses from the 150mm OBA. After both US sides collapsed, I started running my men everywhere to take buildings (Germans have to take ALL the buildings in the playing area but we played it that the ones north of the board 7 weren't required). Those not building hunting put the squeeze on F company in the middle with some men split off to hit Easy Company. My OBA was pretty decisive (which is rare for me) and really hurt and hampered his reinforcements. Once the northern three boards were secured, it was time to load up the halftracks and finish off G Company and the dazed US reinforcements. They held off until turn 8.5 (of 10) but after the German PFPh, there weren't enough men left to hold the last stone building next to the board 40 river. I thought I was going to run out of time but the mass of humanity rushing the last buildings in the center of board 44 and the lone stone building in the middle of board 40 proved too much. By the end game, I could risk losses because I had over 100 CVPs by then. In fact, I had so many prisoners that it started affecting my firepower. On turn 8 I had to declare no quarter just to keep the rest of my squads intact. Green US squads with a 2 ELR means a lot of disruptions! In the end, I sorta liked it. I learned a lot about combined arms tactics and the value of halftracks but the turns took SO LONG. My friend hated it. Watching his men slowly melt away didn't make for a fun time for him. Even though he almost pulled it out, he said he was never really having "fun" since he felt all he was trying to do was hold on the whole game. Was it worth three days? Probably not, but it certainly will be a scenario I won't ever forget about!

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fuller's Folly ASL AP135 Normandy '44, a lightly armed group of US Infantry must get more VP onto a hill against a smaller Fallschirmjager force. The hill is the new board 84, paired with another of the bocage boards. Limited LOSs everywhere. I sent my US troops at the middle and west end of the hill. My opponent defended the length of the hill, but was able to re-deploy to counter me with ease.
I took quite a few losses getting across the board seam and onto the hill. But, in the end numbers were telling and I got enough men on the hill for a win. The homemade "grenade launchers" helped too.....
Nice quality vs. quantity battle.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I guess with a 'normal' Amis OB this could help. but, these are 2nd liners: 5 FP, 4 range, 6 moral, and they only have One measly MMG. the germ MTR's in upper level hills look right down on those other hills, albeit with some tricky LOS everywhere. not much time for the Amis to cross all that ground (inc. heaps of bocage) and get more CVP on the upper hill level than the germs. good ground for the defender to fallback through. I'd be interested in hearing more thoughts on this scenario
Thoughts, roll low as the Americans and hope for ROF on the MMG!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

Finally getting around to posting what I have played in the month of November, did post some of this stuff on FB but not everybody is on FB so I'll post my playings here for your perusal.
Hi all-

These scenarios I did play came from CH Stalingrad: Make the Rubble Bounce. RT was selling these four packs really cheaply and being a Stalingrad fanatic, I could not resist buying them and playing them.

Had a chance to play RB 1 To the Ferry with my good friend Bobby this evening with me taking the NKVD and defending a small portion of Stalingrad. This is an 8 1/2 turn scenario, so the Germans have plenty of time to try and exit off the map, 6 EVP as per the VC. We did play with RB rules in effect IE no quarter, factory fanatics, NKVD squads, CG 11 and CG 15 ect ect. The game did go up to seven turns But Bob's OBA really did not do much and his attack was down one side of the map. About mid game he tried to adjust his attack but with my reinforcements firmly ensconced and his guys severely out of place, he felt he did not have the time or strength to force an exit. The Germans I think in this scenario really need to crush the 6 NKVD and push hard to exit. The Germans will also need to attack on a wide front and thus forcing the NKVD to stay spread out.
Super fun scenario, we are not great players so we do not know if this is balanced or not but it was fun as well as playing new CH versions of the Stalingrad maps. Are plan is to try and play through all of them if we can.

Well on to something much more interesting and much less boring then SP's Well Taught. My buddy Rich came by to play a scenario from CH Stalingrad packs. Ya it might be unbalanced but then again I played RB12 138 of the 138th earlier in the week and Rich schooled me on a great attack in RB12 138 of the 138th. Basically the Russians really have no where to hide from the upper level buzzsaws and worst yet the VC is so broken, all the Germans have to do is capture one building (1VP) and do a sitzkrieg for the rest of the game. There are two other VC options but they are suckers bets. When I played RB12 138 of the 138th before, I was under the assumption that the Russians had ALL those VP's for the buildings at start which made the scenario fun and balanced. But Rich looked at the VC closer and said that is not the case and I confirmed it with the designer. So instead of the Germans trying to gain VP's and reduce the Russian VP total like I assumed, all the Germans need do is capture a building and sit tight. The VC basically makes what could have been a great scenario into one that is was horribly unbalanced ( 100% very pro German).

Rich and I played RB44 Patient Reposte from CH Stalingrad Make the Rubble Bounce pack twice today. in both cases are games went 6 turns out of a seven turn game. Not bad for a scenario that saw no playtesting. In both of our games, the Germans lost. This was due to mainly not falling back in time or losing too much early on to protect the rear area buildings. Still, all in all we did have a very good time playing this scenario and we were struck by how it reminded us of those old Squad Leader scenarios from back in the day. The pic attached is of my turn playing the Russians in our 2nd playing. Lots of broken guys out there lol.
As for this action, it is pretty straight forward, the Russians are counter attacking to retake factories/ buildings in the German set up area. The challenge here is both sides are thin on bodies.
A somewhat challenging defense in this scenario. The Russians need to take back 6 factories, and those bad boys are big, the Germans will also have to be careful not to exit the factories, if they do and the Russians are in those factories, the whole factory goes to the Russians for control VC purposes. So I think spreading out is probably the Germans best defense. As an aside, lots of good spots to HIP the guns, no shortage of that option lol.

11028ed this We also play with the full RF (Red Barricades) rules in effect including CG11 Fanatism and CG 15 Concealment. So with an awesome Stalingrad like map to play on, the scenario really popped for us. We rated the scenario slightly pro Russian due to the Germans having too much too defend and not enough to defend it with. With the playing of a Stalingrad scenario, I need some Capt Morgan's Rum and Egg Nog lol.
Scott

Last edited:

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
WP#5 The Last Assault from Lone Canuck was an exciting and fun scenario
I won this as a Russian 10 years ago. Set up my 57LL in a way that got side shots on both of the King Tigers on the first DfPh, bagged one but the other got away. Also Rubbled a building with a DC and buried several SS squads...

It is good fun, one of the lesser known ones.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I won this as a Russian 10 years ago. Set up my 57LL in a way that got side shots on both of the King Tigers on the first DfPh, bagged one but the other got away. Also Rubbled a building with a DC and buried several SS squads...

It is good fun, one of the lesser known ones.
style points on the DC rubble! I think my ss got lucky v. a relatively green opponent. he was slow to react to the push into his backfield and was stifled once he got going by all the rubble. did we mention king tigers? great fun for sure: I'd do it again as either side

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished playing FT225 Blue Hell at P.A. Abries (from the latest LFT14 Italians) .. French Alpine troops vs the Italian Alpinis. I made some pretty big mistakes and my French troops suffered for it. Let me know what you think!
Thanks for posting. I played this and had a lot of fun. My tip ... capture those Italians!

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brandenburger Blitz DftB DB145 Yugoslavia, '43. Elite but out numbered German force tries to take a village, and bridge, from partisans and some stranded Italians. The Brandenburgers moved quickly in the fog, and my Italians by the bridge were wiped out. When the fog and Allied restrictions lifted, the German had an ever expanding toe hold on the east side of town. Eventually, they took most of that side. But, I was able to hold everything on the west side. The second attack included the Renaults.
In the end, the YUgoComs held out.

Nice, and unique scenario.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP77 Texas Flood over a three day period and 20+ hours. Whew, what a grind! As the attacking Germans I hit and rolled over G Company with the eastern force relatively quickly. The western group made a mad dash for the board 3a buildings with the tanks and a few squads peeling off to engage the HQ force. The turn 2 reinforcements performed mop up duty on the HQ but took some losses from the 150mm OBA. After both US sides collapsed, I started running my men everywhere to take buildings (Germans have to take ALL the buildings in the playing area but we played it that the ones north of the board 7 weren't required). Those not building hunting put the squeeze on F company in the middle with some men split off to hit Easy Company. My OBA was pretty decisive (which is rare for me) and really hurt and hampered his reinforcements. Once the northern three boards were secured, it was time to load up the halftracks and finish off G Company and the dazed US reinforcements. They held off until turn 8.5 (of 10) but after the German PFPh, there weren't enough men left to hold the last stone building next to the board 40 river. I thought I was going to run out of time but the mass of humanity rushing the last buildings in the center of board 44 and the lone stone building in the middle of board 40 proved too much. By the end game, I could risk losses because I had over 100 CVPs by then. In fact, I had so many prisoners that it started affecting my firepower. On turn 8 I had to declare no quarter just to keep the rest of my squads intact. Green US squads with a 2 ELR means a lot of disruptions! In the end, I sorta liked it. I learned a lot about combined arms tactics and the value of halftracks but the turns took SO LONG. My friend hated it. Watching his men slowly melt away didn't make for a fun time for him. Even though he almost pulled it out, he said he was never really having "fun" since he felt all he was trying to do was hold on the whole game. Was it worth three days? Probably not, but it certainly will be a scenario I won't ever forget about!
Those Texans are in a bad spot. It takes intestinal fortitude to stay in that fight. I just think of how bad it was for those fellas irl and it makes my misery seem light.
If any GIs get back across the river it’s great.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Blood Red Snow FrF 95 Russia '42. Attacking Soviets must clear trenches, a bunker, or clear out a village. This is played on a modified BD 48, with lots of hill overlays. The Soviets have T-34s, but the Germans have an 88, a 4 barrel 20mm, an 81mm MTR, AND a PaK 40!
I sent all my Soviets in from the north, the gulley set up looked like a deathtrap.... Went well at first, the 88 only killed one tank before being destroyed, then the FlaK verling was destroyed too. I had brokies, but cleared the first two hills. Not wanting to go at the HMG bunker head on, I headed towards the village in search of the remaining VP. The MTR, PaK 40, (which survived un-hooking), and the German assault engineers then made themselves felt. I took one building but fell short of a second one. (We played it with the pro-Soviet balance.)

Fast playing and violent. The Ruskies need the balance though.

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Shock At Kamenewo DB065 - Russia 1941:Begins with an ambush of a German road column of motorcycles, halftracks, PzIIIH's & IVE's, overwatched by a pair of 88s on a level 1 hill. Russians begin with 4 T34M41s & 3 low ammo T34M41s, both radioless, & 3 KV1M41s w/radios, and 18 447s, half mounted on motorcycles. All Russian tanks must set up HIP in woods hexes, not adjacent to the German column. Germans also have a second group protecting a bridge behind the 88 hill with 3 MMCs(with MOL ability), 1 PzIIIh & 2 ARTs (105 & 105L). VC's require Russians to have more CVP than the Germans and get 1 good order MMC or AFV across the bridge in 6.5 turns or destroy the bridge w/captured DCs or ARTs for an immediate win.
If it sounds somewhat complicated, it is. German tanks are no match for the Russian ones, but the dominating 88's are more than a match, hindered only by range & overcast weather to start(but didn't last long). Following the ambush Russians have to get past the Guardians on the hill then deal with the ARTs. If the Russians break for the bridge too soon, the surviving Axis AFV's will chew up the MMC's left behind. If the Russians stay too long the 88's can rack up VC's.
The Russian did not find that "sweet spot" and VC's decided this bloodly scenario as an Axis victory. This was a fun scenario that I would definitely play again.

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
Played OS-10 Greyhounds! from Objective: Schmidt on VASL with my regular nemesis. This is quite a scenario. My German attack into Schmidt had three prongs, from left to right, seize the buildings at level one, the schwerpunkt in the center, and a diversion on the right. The Ami’s with their awesome firepower resisted heavily EVERYWHERE! to include an armored counterattack on the far German right that was eventually defeated by diverting a few Panthers and the 100mm+ OBA. The butcher’s bill at game end? All buildings German controlled, 89 CVP for the US (91 CVP VC cap), 30.5 US squad equivalents out of 31 eliminated/captured. All US AFV eliminated, except the Weasel. An epic game by any standard. Highly recommended.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played OS-10 Greyhounds! from Objective: Schmidt on VASL with my regular nemesis. This is quite a scenario. My German attack into Schmidt had three prongs, from left to right, seize the buildings at level one, the schwerpunkt in the center, and a diversion on the right. The Ami’s with their awesome firepower resisted heavily EVERYWHERE! to include an armored counterattack on the far German right that was eventually defeated by diverting a few Panthers and the 100mm+ OBA. The butcher’s bill at game end? All buildings German controlled, 89 CVP for the US (91 CVP VC cap), 30.5 US squad equivalents out of 31 eliminated/captured. All US AFV eliminated, except the Weasel. An epic game by any standard. Highly recommended.
Sounds like the "Bloody Bucket" earned its moniker in this one. Is there a longer AAR posted anywhere or contemplated?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Brandenburger Blitz DftB DB145 Yugoslavia, '43. Elite but out numbered German force tries to take a village, and bridge, from partisans and some stranded Italians. The Brandenburgers moved quickly in the fog, and my Italians by the bridge were wiped out. When the fog and Allied restrictions lifted, the German had an ever expanding toe hold on the east side of town. Eventually, they took most of that side. But, I was able to hold everything on the west side. The second attack included the Renaults.
In the end, the YUgoComs held out.

Nice, and unique scenario.
This one was part of the scenario selection of Grenadier 2019 and I saw some people playing it though I did not myself.

The crux in this one seems indeed to be the crossing of that bridge. It seems do be very difficult against an apt defender.

von Marwitz

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What makes it interesting is that the US does not have the right stuff to deal with German armor head to head, but they have a ton of high ROF weapons. It creates and interesting challenge for both sides in a mega combined arms fight. One of my favorites in OS.