New GS Forum Announcements - Conversation

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score
Robin reached out to me to apologize for the miscommunication. I did misinterpret his post. He wasn’t saying Americans are cool with racism, only that our freedom of speech laws make it so that someone is free to espouse racist ideology without legal repercussions, which is not the case everywhere. Totally valid point and my bad for not giving Robin the benefit of the doubt.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You are posting them for proofreading purposes, right? Last I looked, that was the intent. If it still is, then continue.

(Paying $1 for each image and each character, including spaces! ;) )
Yes proof reading and if you've looked at any, you'll know I desperately need proofreading!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thanks to all those who contacted me privately.
I am grateful that I could explain my intentions and that I was correctly understood.
Sorry for the clumsy expression and for having offended some people here.
My first aim was to be supportive of the moderator team, as their job can be complicated.
And to be very clear, many Americans oppose hate ideologies - but their fight cannot take the road of legal prosecution - rather, it will be moral and possibly political.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The tight-knit community image is a comforting one, but if you are selling stuff to people, then you are also a business. Advertising is one of the costs of a successful business. TPP get a lot of exposure here. It seems reasonable to think that they might want to maximize their exposure by helping defray the costs of the site. I
You have convinced me.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I like rules, thus my love of ASL. Likewise, I dislike rule breakers who intentionally twist or bend them for personal gain. I don't believe the OP intentionally broke the rules here either, but I still feel that Randy handled the situation correctly; otherwise, rule breaking like this could continue unabated.
Given how important they are to the ASL community, which is a small, niche community tightly tied together and not like communities for popular computer/video games, I think all "advertisements" or promotions, be they in posts or signature lines, should be allowed here in the ASL subforum, as they historically have been. With the exception of Critical Hit, we are basically talking about labors of love here. The people "advertising" are in many cases also our friends, whom we know personally and play against. I think throttling such posts will simply cause even more people to abandon the Gamesquad ASL forum for the two main ASL forums on Facebook, and I would not like to see that.
This would be a good way for you to handle your ASL site, by omitting CH and any other TPP of products not considered a labor of love, by you. By the way, how could you know yet that this product was produced as a labor of love, are you in possession of a copy? And if so, is it any good? ;-)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I like rules, thus my love of ASL. Likewise, I dislike rule breakers who intentionally twist or bend them for personal gain. I don't believe the OP intentionally broke the rules here either, but I still feel that Randy handled the situation correctly; otherwise, rule breaking like this could continue unabated.

This would be a good way for you to handle your ASL site, by omitting CH and any other TPP of products not considered a labor of love, by you. By the way, how could you know yet that this product was produced as a labor of love, are you in possession of a copy? And if so, is it any good? ;-)
I think it’s fair to say that Pitman owns more than his fair share of CH products until recently.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
By the way, how could you know yet that this product was produced as a labor of love, are you in possession of a copy? And if so, is it any good? ;-)
Read Mark's reviews.
You will learn a lot about the dubious commercial behaviour of CH (e.g. renaming slightly changed products, which can mislead customers into the idea that they will be purchasing a new design).
Mark has reviewed products that he purchased.
The quality of CH products is variable, with a great number not proofed correctly.
Quite a lot of ASLers don't buy from them anymore, because of repeated bad experiences.
So I wouldn't focus on Mark, as he has persevered in buying CH stuff and in an exhaustive way, much more than many of us. Which also means very important sums of money spent, as CH products are very costly.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Read Mark's reviews.
You will learn a lot about the dubious commercial behaviour of CH (e.g. renaming slightly changed products, which can mislead customers into the idea that they will be purchasing a new design).
The quality of CH products is variable, with a great number not proofed correctly.
Quite a lot of ASLers don't buy from them anymore, because of repeated bad experiences.
So I wouldn't focus on Mark, as he has persevered in buying CH stuff and in an exhaustive way, much more than many of us. Which also means very important sums of money spent, as CH products are very costly.
till three years ago u could of given Mark a run for his money on the CH collection but so many releases every coupe of weeks and so so many revamps etc ended it for me, also the fact that he advertised some stuff about 18 months ago took people’s money and it is only now being released?

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
till three years ago u could of given Mark a run for his money on the CH collection but so many releases every coupe of weeks and so so many revamps etc ended it for me, also the fact that he afemvertised some stuff about 18 months ago took people’s money and it is only now being released?
@Vinnie Need your proofreading skills mate

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think it’s fair to say that Pitman owns more than his fair share of CH products until recently.
Read Mark's reviews.
I agree with both of you, I have bought thousands of dollars worth of CH gear myself and find Mark's reviews to be very accurate, overall. I meant for my CH suggestion to be supportive and not a personal dig. My first hand impression of CH gear is that it's now primarily a collection of large hexed play mats for the "do-it-yourself" solo gamer. I look forward to Marks review of this TPP, too.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting way to look at it. But accurate from my more limited experience with CH products.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
While understanding the need to fund this website, I find it somewhat difficult to differentiate beween the following:

An "advertisement" of a product, a "preview" of a product (which might still be in development or already published) or a "notice" about a product.

For example Broken Ground has provided coverage of almost every single one of their counter-sheets while still in development. People gave their thoughts, made suggestions for improvement etc. But in a way, one could argue this also had elements of "advertisement" in it. Yet, I found it a valuable thread.

For another example, bytimes Gunner Scott provides quite good "previews" of some stuff he has bought with pictures of maps and a general view of counters/contents. I cannot discern much of a difference between such previews and those that Advancing Fire just recently gave. I like both.

For a final example, Dispatches from the Bunker gives "notice" of the publication of new scenarios once in a while, both in the Emporium as well as in the "normal" forum area. He obviously contributes as a Silver or Gold member (can't remember) to have Emporium privileges. Does it make a difference if you give "notice" about your own products or merely as a third person tell others what you have just found somewhere?

I am not a native speaker, so I hope I manage to get across the message of what I mean with "advertisement", "preview", and "notice". IMHO it is somewhat difficult to clearly separate these three from each other and I have also not entirely grokked if it makes a difference if you are telling something about your own product or if you are talking about someone else's product. Maybe such issues are also partly decided on an individual basis in which it may make a difference if the person in question inquired with the moderators before posting? AFAIK the forum rules do not seem to be very specific, so maybe people could be helped with a guideline such as Randy gave in part in post #14.

Just for the record, I do not want to question the policies of this forum but rather wrap my head around how they work.

Cheers,
von Marwitz
Hi guys, I place a quick notice of what is going on with Dispatches in the general forum once a month just to let people, who are interested, know to go the ASL Emporium to get details on pricing and complete details, etc that I don't list in the general forum as many more eyeballs see the posts in the general forum, so if interested they will go to the emporium and check out my monthly update there. I pay my yearly contribution to keep the site going and gladly do so; it is quite the asset for the community at large and hope it continues to be. I hope what I have been doing is OK and not a problem, I am not a game company or corporation, simply a retired hobbyist with a love of ASL trying to bring something of value to the greater ASL community. As far as I know it has been to this point and I do appreciate the support I have received in the past, Thanks, Vic.