O11.6056 & 11.6194,b). Reserve Setup next to Pockets

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In RF can a Reserve unit set up adjacent/ADJACENT to a Pocket if otherwise greater than or equal to 6 hexes from the Front Line? That is to say, it seems as if a Pocket is not part of, or in and of itself defined as, a Front Line. In essance this would allow Reserve units to immediately activate in such a circumstance.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Aren't Pocket's created by placing Perimeter markers?

Front Line Location: Each Location that belongs to an (Alternate) Hex Grain of a Perimeter marked in RePh step 11.605. Each Front Line Location is part of a “loop” of adjacent Front Line Locations. Each map-edge hex is a Front Line Location.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aren't Pocket's created by placing Perimeter markers?

Front Line Location: Each Location that belongs to an (Alternate) Hex Grain of a Perimeter marked in RePh step 11.605. Each Front Line Location is part of a “loop” of adjacent Front Line Locations. Each map-edge hex is a Front Line Location.
I don't believe so as a perimeter marker that led to a friendly board edge couldn't be traced to the units in question. In this instance a sniper broke a guard of of POWs well behind the German lines, the POWs eliminated the broken Guard in CC and ended the scenario some considerable distance from a Front line (which if one reads the entirety of the rule seems not to include Pockets).
  • O11.605 "If the "loop" is determined properly, each side will be able to start at any Front Line Location and, by moving only into adjacent Front Line Location, and never reentering the same Front Line Location, eventually end up back at that starting Front Line Location.
  • Also one will note that a Pocket is defined separately from a Front Line and "A Pocket may never include any friendly (11.6056-.6058) map-edge hex(es)."
Though the set up area may well be a Perimeter or Perimeter area, this does not equate it to being, or included in, a Front Line.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Though the set up area may well be a Perimeter or Perimeter area, this does not equate it to being, or included in, a Front Line.
Don't the Locations of a Pocket belong to "an (Alternate) Hex Grain of a Perimeter marked in RePh step 11.605" ?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Here's an old (unofficial) Q&A that mentions Pockets being Front Line Locations.

O11.605 & O11.6066 O11.605 says that with a properly determined perimeter "loop" you "will
be able to start at any Front line Location, and by moving only into an adjacent Front Line
Location, and never re-entering the same Front Line Location, eventually end up back at the
starting Front Line Location." Consider the Russian Pocket #1 in the EX: If you start at any
Location in this pocket and move to adjacent Front Line Locations, you will have to re-enter
hex H43 before you have ended up back at the starting Location. Is this example wrong?
A. No; single-hex-width pockets will always have this affect. [Compil3]

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't the Locations of a Pocket belong to "an (Alternate) Hex Grain of a Perimeter marked in RePh step 11.605" ?

See definition of Perimeter in O11.2. In the situation I further explained there was no way to make the location part of a loop.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's an old (unofficial) Q&A that mentions Pockets being Front Line Locations.

O11.605 & O11.6066 O11.605 says that with a properly determined perimeter "loop" you "will
be able to start at any Front line Location, and by moving only into an adjacent Front Line
Location, and never re-entering the same Front Line Location, eventually end up back at the
starting Front Line Location." Consider the Russian Pocket #1 in the EX: If you start at any
Location in this pocket and move to adjacent Front Line Locations, you will have to re-enter
hex H43 before you have ended up back at the starting Location. Is this example wrong?
A. No; single-hex-width pockets will always have this affect. [Compil3]
I guess the crux of my query is that a perimeter does not necessarily equate to a Front Line as a the Front Line must contain the board edges in its loop whereas a Perimeter need not.

[EDIT] I hope you're right, as I'm arguing against a better outcome against my troops if Perimeter & Front Line are indeed synonymous.

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I guess the crux of my query is that a perimeter does not necessarily equate to a Front Line as a the Front Line must contain the board edges in its loop whereas a Perimeter need not.
There no "Front Line" in the rules as far as I can tell - only "Front Line Locations". So I am not following you here?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There no "Front Line" in the rules as far as I can tell - only "Front Line Locations". So I am not following you here?
Good point. Guess my old military background kicked in an I made an extrapolation. However, this still leaves me in somewhat of a quandary as is an isolated pocket considered a front line location or is it simply considered part of a perimeter area. That is to say, does a Front Line location have to have a continious loop of front line locations connected to a FBE to be considered a Front Line Location?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
However, this still leaves me in somewhat of a quandary as is an isolated pocket considered a front line location or is it simply considered part of a perimeter area.
I think it's both.

O11.6056:
"...All Pockets are Isolated Areas and part of the friendly Perimeter Area, even though physically separate from the main Perimeter Area."

This tells us that a Pocket is part of the "friendly Perimeter Area".

... and per O11.2 a Perimeter Area is enclosed by Front Line Locations.
O11.2:
Perimeter Area:
All hexes enclosed by, and including, a side’s Front Line Locations (11.605).