zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Issue confirmed
You can't confirm your own issue, that's cheating! :)

But I went and tried it myself because it should be implemented just like you suggest. Lo and behold I do see that behavior (although I'm in OSX 10.15.x and Java 13). Switching back to windows to see if it's an OS-specific behavior as it appears to be so far.

(edit) Works as expected in Windows, too. Some kind of OSX interaction.

DrDeath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Guys- While setting up J91 The Sooner the Better, using boards 26, 27, 28 and 29, 26 and 29 need to be cropped A-P. 26 cropped without issue but when trying to crop board 29, 28 cropped instead. The converse worked; meaning by trying to crop 28, 29 cropped so I was able to achieve what I was looking for if the boards are numbered correctly. Will not have access to the hard copy of those boards until tomorrow so I am not sure if that is indeed the case. Obviously something is amiss...

DD-

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hey Guys- While setting up J91 The Sooner the Better, using boards 26, 27, 28 and 29, 26 and 29 need to be cropped A-P. 26 cropped without issue but when trying to crop board 29, 28 cropped instead. The converse worked; meaning by trying to crop 28, 29 cropped so I was able to achieve what I was looking for if the boards are numbered correctly. Will not have access to the hard copy of those boards until tomorrow so I am not sure if that is indeed the case. Obviously something is amiss...
Do you have the latest vasl version (6.4.4)? There was a bug in previous versions where the board cropping was cross-wired.

JR

DrDeath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay so with further investigation it appears that cropping of the boards is malfunctioning between the position of the boards not necessarily the board numbers. Substituting board 30 for board 28 yields the same result, ie cropping board 30 crops 29 and vice versa

The arrangement of boards for this scenario looks like:

____
I I I
I I I
I_27____________I_29____I
I I I
I I I
I_28____________I_26____I

DrDeath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay so with further investigation it appears that cropping of the boards is malfunctioning between the position of the boards not necessarily the board numbers. Substituting board 30 for board 28 yields the same result, ie cropping board 30 crops 29 and vice versa

The arrangement of boards for this scenario looks like:

____
I I I
I I I
I_27____________I_29____I
I I I
I I I
I_28____________I_26____I
LOL this is NOT what the board config looks like...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Looks like I'm running 6.4.3- thanks for the quick reply
I think you can work with 6.4.3. As I recall the behavior was cross-wired but if you cross-wired your cropping too it all worked out. But personally I just moved over to 6.4.4.

KR

DrDeath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you can work with 6.4.3. As I recall the behavior was cross-wired but if you cross-wired your cropping too it all worked out. But personally I just moved over to 6.4.4.

KR
Yeah I could work around but a quick update did the trick- thanx for the heads up

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I would like to have the possibility of nullifying the statistic (dice roll stats) during a VASL session. The reason for this are:

• eliminating the need to restart vasl when playing multiple logs vs different opponents (how can I bitch about my rolls otherwise?)
  • narrowing stats down to a specific phase (i.e. firering rallies etc)
Furthermore i am wondering about the possibility of carrying the stats over between log files to get the total stats over a scenario played in multiple sessions/logs?

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States
Question/suggestion:
Since the boards can't be turned 90 degrees, can there be separate board files that are rotated 90 degrees?

This question is asked in complete ignorance of what it takes to have a board files made.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Question/suggestion:
Since the boards can't be turned 90 degrees, can there be separate board files that are rotated 90 degrees?

This question is asked in complete ignorance of what it takes to have a board files made.
I am only guessing, but I think you can't because a hexagonal grid's legal positions aren't the same when rotated by 90°, and I don't think vasl supports a hex grid both up-down and left-right. So 0° and 180° rotation works, but not any other.

JR

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States
I am only guessing, but I think you can't because a hexagonal grid's legal positions aren't the same when rotated by 90°, and I don't think vasl supports a hex grid both up-down and left-right. So 0° and 180° rotation works, but not any other.

JR
That makes sense, thanks.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There is no reason arbitrary rotations (and not just 0/90/180/270°) can't be done in principle. It's a very simple, linear calculation. The program keeps coordinates in one system but translates them to the view screen. One could have multiple windows, each with a different rotation (and/or crop and/or magnification), and each player could have views independent from the other. vassal & vasl just weren't architected that way, I think.

JR

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
Map Board 40 - Hexes Y1-Z1-AA2-BB1 should be elevated roads but the LOS tool has them at level -1.