Creating Scenario Setups

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
There are no fixed guidelines how to make the setups. When you make them, you should prepare them in a way that they do not include all information (i.e. they should not include VC and SSR) as to respect copyright.

If you send them to Sam Tyson, I believe he will add them to the collection.
styson@gmail.com

IMHO it would be helpful if you added the version with which your VASL setup is created (i.e. created with VASL v6.4.4 on XX-XX-2019). That way it will be easier to find out later, whether your setup might have become obsolete or which elements of it need to be updated.

There is a thread here somewhere that gives you some information on how to work with Draggable Overlay Labels in which you can place some HTML code that enhances the appearance of your setups. I'll try to dig it up and add a link here.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Here is an old thread that gives some insights on how to add HTML code to draggable overlays. In some long forgotten forum update, all pictures got lost. Still the thread is useful. You can copy/paste the HTML into a text field of a draggable overlay and test the results.

Some guy has also developed some tool in helping to create VASL setups. See this thread here:

This should give you a lead in.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Be conscious that VASL setups are threatened by a high risk of fast obsolescence, as there are quite often upgrades of the program.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Be conscious that VASL setups are threatened by a high risk of fast obsolescence, as there are quite often upgrades of the program.
Well, it depends. Even older setups, say anything VASL v6.x will more or less work if you use it. And VASL 6.x is quite dated.

But indeed what VASL is missing is a (working) function to refresh all pulled counters of a given setup without prior having to uninstall all extensions and without having to redo all naming and labelling of the new counters. These factors do make the existing "Refresh" function worthless.

But even if you are 'manually' updating a setup, it quickens things if you have a (not too) old version to base it on. Placing counters offboard at an exacto location is a PITA as there is no good grid the counters snap to. So if you can stack new counters atop the old ones and then afterwards delete the old ones beneath the new ones, you can avoid that tiring positioning process because you can take advantage of the 'old' counter position. Some things might not need updating. Say you would have a new function in the Label menu, you would not necessarily need to update the old label if you don't need the new function.

On the other hand, if you'd prepare a VASL file in preparation of a tournament as to allow its participants to make defensive setups with the intention of speeding up the setup-process at the tournament itself, one would be well advised to keep the whole thing up to the newest version.

von Marwitz

blackhound70

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Here is an old thread that gives some insights on how to add HTML code to draggable overlays. In some long forgotten forum update, all pictures got lost. Still the thread is useful. You can copy/paste the HTML into a text field of a draggable overlay and test the results.

Some guy has also developed some tool in helping to create VASL setups. See this thread here:

This should give you a lead in.

Cheers,
von Marwitz
Thanks a lot von M.
I'll try to make a new one soon.
KGP1 it'll be. :)

Is it ok to start from an existing setup from http://vasl.info/scenarios.htm ?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Is it ok to start from an existing setup from http://vasl.info/scenarios.htm ?
Basically yes, but it depends I'd say.

If you start from an existing one look out if it has version info somewhere. If yes, this might give you a clue how much you might need to update.

If it is anything from VASL v6.2.x upwards, by gut-feeling I'd say you can use that as a basis but exchange all counters (Remember by advice about placing new ones - you can use the "old" positions to place newly pulled counters on top and afterwards delete the old counters beneath. Probably quicker than to use the "clear the board function" and afterwards having to align everything from scratch).

If it is older than v6.2.x, I'd tend to to it from scratch. There is some information that might be useful to you:

For VASL v6.0.1 you need VASSAL v3.2.8 at minimum

6.3.3 => VASSAL 3.2.14
6.4.x => VASSAL 3.2.17

For VASL v5.x you need an older version of VASSAL - v3.1.20

I am not completely sure about the upward and downward compatibilities but just wanted to mention this to create some awareness if issues should arise that might conceivably be related to this.

von Marwitz