Not enough Russian mortar counters in Red Factories

GamerKirk

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, shell out over $100 to get the whole enchilada, duplicating my prior purchase of RB years ago, but it's worth it cuz enough Russians now for any CGs...except not. I can only find FIVE mortars for the Russians listed as available from Beyond Valor manifest. I cannot find any other mortars in other modules including RB. And to my dismay, and I seem to have sheets 1-6 and 1-2 of RF, not a single new mortar counter. What?

I cannot even setup RO CG X-Tag without being short a mortar, much less play a 9 day scenario's worth of purchases. I'm old, I get it, with bad eyes so where are the necessary mortars they surely playtested for in the new RF or, worst case, in some other standard issue ASL module of Russians? There seem to be plenty of new Mol Projector markers...

Last edited:

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
So, shell out over $100 to get the whole enchilada, duplicating my prior purchase of RB years ago, but it's worth it cuz enough Russians now for any CGs...except not. I can only find FIVE mortars for the Russians listed as available from Beyond Valor manifest. I cannot find any other mortars in other modules including RB. And to my dismay, and I seem to have sheets 1-6 of RF, not a single new mortar counter. What?

I cannot even setup RO CG X-Tag without being short a mortar, much less play a 9 day scenario's worth of purchases. I'm old, I get it, with bad eyes so where are the necessary mortars they surely playtested for in the new RF or, worst case, in some other standard issue ASL module of Russians? There seem to be plenty of new Mol Projector markers...
I have a total of 13 50mm mortars, the others must be from the VOTG module I bought. It looks like I've got some misplaced, as the countersheet snaps over on BGG show 5x 50mm for BV and 10x 50mm for VOTG. Looking at Red Factories snaps, I can see on BGG -- no sign of any mortars, as you say!

This is shocking if it's true that you can't even set up one of the main scenarios for CG in combination with only BV.

Shocking, and I wish I could say surprising. Basically MMP is best known for their quality of finished product even if they can't get their act together on production schedules. But stuff is starting to slip even where they shine.

Notice how on the box cover that 'ownership of the advanced squad leader game system is required to play.' C'mon that's lame guys! You used to tell us what specific modules we need to own. But can't tell us to get modules that are out of print in order to play this, can you boys? Currently out of print: Valor of the Guards.

What this tells me is that MMP knew of this problem and tried to gloss over it. What's going on over there guys? Not that they'll answer me, one of their main and vocal critics.

Haha, shame on you GamerKirk for failing to read the fine print!! Apparently you should own every module that has Russians including any starter kits so you have enough mortars to play a key scenario!!

I've held off on buying this module, and just as I'm about to lay out the dough, here comes this news.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Noticed that right off when someone posted a Chapter N for the RF release. Thank heavens for the VotG mortars if you were fortunate to enough to get that module. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw that there were no light mortars included for either side in the RF counter sheets.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Noticed that right off when someone posted a Chapter N for the RF release. Thank heavens for the VotG mortars if you were fortunate to enough to get that module. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw that there were no light mortars included for either side in the RF counter sheets.
ah Chapter N, my favorite chapter to file and forget it exists. Good idea to check it!

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Interesting observation. Some of the locals here are getting together to play an all-Stalingrad weekend later this month. The plan is to game The Last Bid and Men of Steel concurrently.

So I checked. Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a single Russian 50mm MTR in either of these "monster" OB!

In addition to VotG, Festung Budapest has eight, Russian 50mm MTR. And I suppose one could use the three 37mm "spade" MTR that came with Hakka Päälle as stand-ins if you're still short.

GamerKirk

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting observation. Some of the locals here are getting together to play an all-Stalingrad weekend later this month. The plan is to game The Last Bid and Men of Steel concurrently.

So I checked. Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a single Russian 50mm MTR in either of these "monster" OB!

In addition to VotG, Festung Budapest has eight, Russian 50mm MTR. And I suppose one could use the three 37mm "spade" MTR that came with Hakka Päälle as stand-ins if you're still short.
I've never played Last Bid, but definitely grok the CGs where strategic and tactical planning and preservation of force is paramount, and it seems that MMP blew it big time in not providing at least a half-dozen Russian mortars in their counter mix for Red Factories, very disappointing, to be sure.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Facebook naysayers would say MMP would go under if the exorbitant costs of printing those 10 Mtrs were included. Or maybe thats the Wargamers forum? Doesnt really matter....?

GamerKirk

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Facebook naysayers would say MMP would go under if the exorbitant costs of printing those 10 Mtrs were included. Or maybe thats the Wargamers forum? Doesnt really matter....?
That's funny! A few less mol proj counters combined with a few less purple markers would have worked perfectly. Someone dropped the ball and it shows they didn't do a set up walk through even of each CG and projected purchases possibilities. Very disappointing, but they already have my money and that much less respect.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
I remember an optional rule allowing to use 81* mtr when not more 50* counters..

?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably using a MMG (for Russians especially) would be a fair trade-off. The range & lower ROF and increase in FP would somewhat compensate for the reduction in range. Using a German MMG to compensate for the lack of German Lt mortars is a bit more problematic.