ASL218 Siberia Diversion

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played ASL218 Siberia Diversion with my buddy Randy with my Chinese getting crushed by the Marines by turn 8. This was not really a fun scenario, for four turns as the Chinese you just sit there hidden letting the Americans do their search light thing (ya they have search lights) and watch the FT AFV enter, fire at empty hexes and leave. Basically the CPVA would be stupid to set up front of the board 61 hill. The CPVA Sets up on board 61 hills only so they have to set up in the backfield to avoid the FT AFV's and the Saerch lights (but the chances of getting the sesarch lights to work is very low). This is a night action so be ready for that little bit of fun and games. Another stupid part of this scenario was that the Marines could not move on board 61 until turn 4, so like the CPVA, the Marines are stuck just shooting into the dark looking for hipters.

Once the scenario did get rolling, on turn 5 more or less, the Marines just perch themselves on the level 2 board 61 hill and blow away the oncoming CPVA reinforcements, the On board CPVA guys will die quick enough without any AT capability to speak. On a side note, I did manage to place a DC with one of my leaders on one M46 and blew it up, of course out of the 8 squads that entered, only one leader and two HS survived, the Marines go their starshells and just lit up the CPVA entry area. Rince and repeat for the next group of Chi coms coming on map.

This was not a fun scenario, on paper it looks interesting, but in play it is an unmitigated dog. I think the playtesting for this one was seriously lacking. Not recommended.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would pass on it, all you do for the first four turns is try to move your FT AFV's forward hoping the CPVA player was dumb enough to set up front, you do not have time to use those FT AFV's to really do much else since they get recalled by turn 5.

Scott

well, it wouldn't be the only scenario from the Korean module with playtesting problems. I haven't tried this one.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
On a side note, I did manage to place a DC with one of my leaders on one M46 and blew it up
This is a little surprising as the M46s may not enter board 61 [SSR4], and it would seem to me unlikely that the PVA would enter into board 80 to chase them down.

JR

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My opponent and I missed SSR 4.

This is a little surprising as the M46s may not enter board 61 [SSR4], and it would seem to me unlikely that the PVA would enter into board 80 to chase them down.

JR

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I forget the rule but the CPVA are pretty good at keeping concealment even when moving at night. This helps minimize Marine fire.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My opponent and I missed SSR 4.
I think that will affect balance a bit. As best I can tell the hexes immediately behind the board 61 hill are blind to board 80. There should be an infantry donnybrook at the north edge of the hill with the PVA trying to push the Marines off one level-two hex at game end. Without the tanks directly support the infantry the PVA may be able to hold out with the reverse slope defense. The on-board PVA might consider digging some more foxholes too for the entering reinforcements.

Overall it looks as though it might have some slow spots in the early game but these turns should play fairly quickly.

JR

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Honestly, I was kind of glad Randy moved his armor up, even if it was by mistake, less tubes fire at my position. But if the M46's do have to stay on the hill, the Marines will still light up the board edge where the Chi com's enter and past them with the Armor and their fire power. Ya, the Chi Coms enter cloaked but when the whole map edge is lit up they will get pasted, sure they can assault move on and not lose cloaking, but that means they have lost the game since they will only be able to crawl to their objectives to help relive the onboard Chi Coms (which will get crushed by the Marine fire power).

But my biggest gripe with this scenario is sitting around for five turns doing nothing, just watch the FT AFV trundle on, take a few pot shots then leave. Very dumb design concept. Lastly, I included a pic on how the M46s should deal with the Chi-Coms entering on map.

I think that will affect balance a bit. As best I can tell the hexes immediately behind the board 61 hill are blind to board 80. There should be an infantry donnybrook at the north edge of the hill with the PVA trying to push the Marines off one level-two hex at game end. Without the tanks directly support the infantry the PVA may be able to hold out with the reverse slope defense. The on-board PVA might consider digging some more foxholes too for the entering reinforcements.

Overall it looks as though it might have some slow spots in the early game but these turns should play fairly quickly.

JR

Attachments

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Lastly, I included a pic on how the M46s should deal with the Chi-Coms entering on map.

It's hard to tell, but it looks as though there is an entrenchment in 61H2. By SSR all Orchard is crag, and 61H2 should not have an entrenchment.

Also it looks as though all the M46s are on hills. Searchlights only create continuous illumination on same-level LOS [W10.22]. Otherwise only the last hex is illuminated. You might want to put at least one M46 at level zero. Of course you could rely on the infantry to put up starshells.

JR