Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Message sent out by the organiser today, see below

Dear All,

After a great deal of thought, I am writing to advise that Double One 2020 has been cancelled. This has not been an easy decision but given incidents over the last couple of years, have decided that this is for the best.

Thank you to everyone who supported this tournament over the years, with a particular nod to Brendan Clark who kickstarted it all many years ago.

Regards,

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Always sad to see a tournament fall by the wayside (even one I would probably never be able to attend).

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was lucky enough to attend in 2016 and had a wonderful time. Was sorry to not have been back and sorry to hear that it is off.

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
Really sorry to hear that. I was looking to attend the tournament either 2020 or 2021. I will regret not have been there before.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It might not die. Trevor Edwards stopped running Beserk in 2004 for personal reasons that he would not talk about:

Pete (the editor of VFTT) very kindly took it over and it is now Heroes:

It would be a great shame to loose the venue - Jo Haslip of Writtle College treats us all very well....................we were even all invited to her 50th Birthday Party at the bar. Who knows what might happen?

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Too bad. I enjoyed my attendance in 2018 and 2019 very much indeed (“indeed” should be pronounced with a clear British upper-class Intonation :)).

I had intended to attend in 2020 as well. Any chance that any other fine British gentleman might pick up the challenge and run with it? The tournament was very enjoyable to attend and the surroundings of the agricultural college were fantastic. Also, easy access from major airport is rare in the ASL world (London, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Chicago, DC is probably it - never been to Atlanta ASL though).

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Too bad. I enjoyed my attendance in 2018 and 2019 very much indeed (“indeed” should be pronounced with a clear British upper-class Intonation :)).

I had intended to attend in 2020 as well. Any chance that any other fine British gentleman might pick up the challenge and run with it? The tournament was very enjoyable to attend and the surroundings of the agricultural college were fantastic. Also, easy access from major airport is rare in the ASL world (London, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Chicago, DC is probably it - never been to Atlanta ASL though).
There will be further news on this shortly. What I can say at this point is that the tournament is NOT permanently cancelled. Just for 2020.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
There will be further news on this shortly. What I can say at this point is that the tournament is NOT permanently cancelled. Just for 2020.
Great News, looking forward to hearing more and eventually buying my plane ticket.

(As we do not know each other that well, Martin, I will refrain from the ingrained British tradition of teasing you on the "fine British gentleman" bit :). Had it been Joe, or Simon, or Neil, or Pete, I would have had less hesitation :) ). Nevertheless, I am glad to see the number of European easily attendable tournaments remain the same, thanks Martin.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Great News, looking forward to hearing more and eventually buying my plane ticket.

(As we do not know each other that well, Martin, I will refrain from the ingrained British tradition of teasing you on the "fine British gentleman" bit :). Had it been Joe, or Simon, or Neil, or Pete, I would have had less hesitation :) ). Nevertheless, I am glad to see the number of European easily attendable tournaments remain the same, thanks Martin.
Great news.

Double One will go ahead next year.

Seems like I, as well as others, had stepped forward in offering our services to keep it going next year. Having discussed the matter with Derek and Simon (Staniforth), Simon and some of the London ASL gang are going to run it for 2020.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Seems like I, as well as others, had stepped forward in offering our services to keep it going next year. Having discussed the matter with Derek and Simon (Staniforth), Simon and some of the London ASL gang are going to run it for 2020.
Good news. Grenadier, ItaliASL, Copenhagen, Double One, and Arnhem are on my wish list. Alas, Arnhem will be a mini with me and Hennie getting together some day to play and maybe walk the battlefield. -- jim

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
Good news. Grenadier, ItaliASL, Copenhagen, Double One, and Arnhem are on my wish list. Alas, Arnhem will be a mini with me and Hennie getting together some day to play and maybe walk the battlefield. -- jim
Yeah, this is absolutely great news. The setting outside London is soo nice in the summer.

If you make all of them, I will meet you at Grenadier, Copenhagen and Double One (ItaliASL is "only" friendly play, right?).

You might want consider Helsinki as well, the biggest ASL secret in Europe in my mind. A short train/bus ride away from Helsinki International Airport, and a very nice relaxed setting in an "out-of-season nightclub".

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I'm missing a lot of tournaments I think...

When is the Helsinki one? And ItaliASL? Where do they announce those tournaments?

For me it is a must the tournament is held near a international airport. I will start to attend the european tournaments ADYACENT to an airport!

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I'm missing a lot of tournaments I think...

When is the Helsinki one? And ItaliASL? Where do they announce those tournaments?

For me it is a must the tournament is held near a international airport. I will start to attend the european tournaments ADYACENT to an airport!
ASLitalia used to be a significant European tournament but it has been discountinued in its earlier format. Now you find regional gatherings of italian players a few times per year.

The Finnish one takes usually place towards the end of August. I just wish they manage to attract more Finnish players for a start.

You can consider Supporting Fire in November in Sweden with a blind round format and a good level of attendance. It is a 30 min drive from the Gothenburg airport though.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
The Finnish one takes usually place towards the end of August. I just wish they manage to attract more Finnish players for a start.
I am doing my best, despite neither being the organizer nor being a Finn :).

But international attendance is up lately. Last year they had 2 international players, this year 4. Still low but the foreigners all enjoyed it and this number will probably go up as more people spread the word.

You can consider Supporting Fire in November in Sweden with a blind round format and a good level of attendance. It is a 30 min drive from the Gothenburg airport though.
I agree, the largest Swedish tournament, and the only Swedish tournament with any significant international participation in the last 3 years that I have played ASL. Probably towards 10 foreigners each year. This year "I bring an American along" (he is visiting me before the tournament, but he would have attended anyway).

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
If "the Brit" is you, Joe, anytime :) .