Spanish Civil War counters

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm soliciting advice: I'm attempting to generate Spanish Civil War 'sides' using the currently available counter mix.

I'm looking at using browns vs greens: the Russian & British counters representing the Republicans (Spanish loyalists, Militias & Int. Brigades) versus
the Axis Minors & Allied Minors representing the Nationalists (Spanish rebels, Moors & Foreign Legion).

My problem lies in the AFV. Both sides used very limited stock of armour, with the Russians supplying tanks & AC to the Republic, and Germany & Italy supplying their material to the Nationalists.

Specifically, their are no French FT-17's in Russian or British counter colours & their are no T26B's in Minor counter colours.

The Chinese have T26's and Armoured Trucks (!) so I'm thinking of adding the blue/brown Chinese counters to fill the gap in the Nationalist side, but that leaves me with no FT-17's (or armoured trucks) on the Republican side.

Dear Agony Aunt, what should I do?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I seem to recall a scenario on the SCW where Republicans were depicted by Allied Minors and Fascists by Axis Minors.
That would solve your FT-17 problem.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
I'm soliciting advice: I'm attempting to generate Spanish Civil War 'sides' using the currently available counter mix.

I'm looking at using browns vs greens: the Russian & British counters representing the Republicans (Spanish loyalists, Militias & Int. Brigades) versus
the Axis Minors & Allied Minors representing the Nationalists (Spanish rebels, Moors & Foreign Legion).

My problem lies in the AFV. Both sides used very limited stock of armour, with the Russians supplying tanks & AC to the Republic, and Germany & Italy supplying their material to the Nationalists.

Specifically, their are no French FT-17's in Russian or British counter colours & their are no T26B's in Minor counter colours.

The Chinese have T26's and Armoured Trucks (!) so I'm thinking of adding the blue/brown Chinese counters to fill the gap in the Nationalist side, but that leaves me with no FT-17's (or armoured trucks) on the Republican side.

Of course, it's your Project, so you may act as you wish, but I feel that use British counters (and Russian, BTW) for the Republicans should be overpowering them. Not in terms of firepower or range, but on the morale question, namely the broken morale.
CH's Guerra Civil/Spanish Civil War is the best reference nowadays for Spanish Civil War ASL, being a product produced by CH but designed by my good friends the Cebrián brothers. It uses Allied Minors for Loyalists and Axis Minors for Rebels. IIRC, there was a small contingent of Italians to represent the CTV.
That would solve the problem of FT-17s (and Pz Is)
The fact that both armies made extensive use of captured material, should diminish the necessity of have AFVs in their "proper" colors, reducing to a question of aesthetics.
I know that Broken Ground has the project to make a set of SCW counters, but I don't know when could be published.
Of course, using Axis Minors and Allied Minors doesn't solve ALL the problems; for instance: Do you want to use a Breda AFV (a turret modified PzKw I with a Breda gun? You don't have that counter. Do you want to use a "tiznao" (improvised AFVs), useless as they were? You don't have that counter. And so on…
That's my opinión. If you need any help or I may answer any question, I remain at your disposition.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

There are several Spanish ext. have you checked them out?

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks for the replies Luis & A.T.

I'm wanting to create a SCW TO&E using existing AH/MMP released module components, so that players that don't own the CH SCW stuff can play.

I might rethink the Allied Minor/Axis Minor split, and use varied nationalities for the AFV's. I'll probably sub in an Allied Minor or French tank for the Trubia, the hardest is the lack of true armoured truck (except the one Chinese model) as these were used extensively by both sides.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
My last news about that "working" are that no work has been done in the past two years...

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
My last news about that "working" are that no work has been done in the past two years...
Is that something that is already submitted to MMP? It might take a while until they get to it. We waited several years with Hakkaa Päälle! after the submission.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Is that something that is already submitted to MMP? It might take a while until they get to it. We waited several years with Hakkaa Päälle! after the submission.
To my knowledge, the Project is not even finished.
To my understanding, when MMP receives a Project begins a loooong process, namely playtesting, counter art, playtesting, Special rules, playtesting, map art, playtesting, playtesting and then, at last, pre and production. That's why we have some "hints" about Dinant, Normandy Airborne, Ortona, Ponyri, Swedish Volunteers, etc.
When a year ago I talked to one of the collaborators in the Project of SCW, told me that he had no news about it since a year ago. I'm not saying that is abandoned <shrug>… but because that I said that was not a Project in short or mid term. I'm afraid we Spaniards (and ASLrs in general) will have to wait very long before we can see SCW done and represented in an official product. ?

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Much work has been done in the last two years.
Well, if you say so, I remain confidant in the prospects of publication. But, and given that you have more insights about it than I, may I ask at which stage is the module? Thanks in advance.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Well, Critical Hit published last week two national sets of Republican and Nationalist forces (or they had planned to do so before or are reacting quickly to this thread). They have the same art as 2nd edition of Spanish Civil War, but in different colors: tan for Republicans and a light blue (too similar to germans to my taste) for the Nationalists. It's not an existing oficial set, but should solve (sort of) the matter of vehicles.
As for the news about an oficial SCW module, I have become to think that are two groups working on it. The Spanish one, which project is stopped by the momento, and a USA one which I don't know at which stage is the project. And, judging by the (lack of) response by Vincent, is a top secret question, so don't ask!

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Thanks for the replies Luis & A.T.

I'm wanting to create a SCW TO&E using existing AH/MMP released module components, so that players that don't own the CH SCW stuff can play.

I might rethink the Allied Minor/Axis Minor split, and use varied nationalities for the AFV's. I'll probably sub in an Allied Minor or French tank for the Trubia, the hardest is the lack of true armoured truck (except the one Chinese model) as these were used extensively by both sides.
By the way, and returning to your original purpose, I'm at holidays now, but when I return I could give you the ASL stats of the specifically SCW AFVs, so you could look for a similar counter to substitute and SSR it to give it the characteristics of the SCW AFVs...

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks Lluis,
I've been doing a bit of research myself, using internet & book sources (and old ASL SCW stuff posted a while ago).

Any contribution will help, much appreciated.
Luke