VASL PTO League 2019 1st Round Matchups

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here are your Round 3 matchups gentlemen.

Round 3 August 1st through October 31st

2-0 Bracket

Jim Fardette vs Victor Rosso

Aaron Cleavin vs Pierce Mason

1-1 Bracket

Randy Rossi vs Alex Koestler

Jean-Francois Fortin vs Jim Hunter

John Knowles vs Kevin Killeen

0-2 Bracket

Will Willow vs Kevin Russell

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
HI Carl,

Kevin and I have agreed to play BFP-032 "Slaughter At Nanyuan".

Kevin is playing the defending (KMT) Chinese, whilst I am playing the attacking Japanese. No balance in effect.

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HI Carl,

Kevin and I have agreed to play BFP-032 "Slaughter At Nanyuan".

Kevin is playing the defending (KMT) Chinese, whilst I am playing the attacking Japanese. No balance in effect.

John.
Thank you John.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Carl,
Victor and I will be playing SP69, Meiktila Break-In. Victor has the Japanese, I will play the Indians.
Jim

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In a game of 12s and 2s, Jim Fardette's Indians beat Vic Rosso's Japanese in a final turn CC to take the final victory location. The Indian's had the balance, but without much effect. The game shifted when the Japanese HMG broke and never got repaired. Vic is a fun opponent and I look forward to playing him again in the future.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Hi Carl,

Kevin and I finished off our scenario of BFP-032 "Slaughter At Nanyuan".

I tried attacking down the east flank, and initially had my infantry on a good time schedule. But when engaging the Chinese squads, I just couldn't get them to break (and being handily outnumbered, CC is not an ideal option). This forced me to be more audacious with my vehicles, but once again, the Chinese continued to pass most of the MCs thrown their way.

Eventually, misfortune caught up with my vehicles, and with my infantry now stagnant, and vehicle losses getting to an unbearable level (in light of the VCs demanded), I conceded to Kevin during the Japanese turn 5 MPh.

This was a fun scenario to play, even though I was forced to play it left handed by a number of unfortunate events. Always fun to play Kevin, too.

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl,

Kevin and I finished off our scenario of BFP-032 "Slaughter At Nanyuan".

I tried attacking down the east flank, and initially had my infantry on a good time schedule. But when engaging the Chinese squads, I just couldn't get them to break (and being handily outnumbered, CC is not an ideal option). This forced me to be more audacious with my vehicles, but once again, the Chinese continued to pass most of the MCs thrown their way.

Eventually, misfortune caught up with my vehicles, and with my infantry now stagnant, and vehicle losses getting to an unbearable level (in light of the VCs demanded), I conceded to Kevin during the Japanese turn 5 MPh.

View attachment 10179

This was a fun scenario to play, even though I was forced to play it left handed by a number of unfortunate events. Always fun to play Kevin, too.

John.
Thanks John, Kevin, I will note it in the league and on ROAR.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Waiting on one contest to report in to move to the next round. Email has been sent.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen,

Please see the below. Thank you for playing in the league and enjoy. Jim and Aaron will play in the championship round. This round ends on February 29th to allow ample time to finish with the Holidays interfering with the first month plus of playing time.

Kevin Russel, please let me know what scenario you would like to play. As I am just filling in, I am flexible.

Thanks,
Carl

Round 4 November 17 through February 29

3-0 Bracket

Jim Fardette vs Aaron Cleavin

2-1 Bracket

Victor Rosso vs Randy Rossi

Kevin Killeen vs Jim Hunter

1-2 Bracket

John Knowles vs Will Willow

Jean-Francois Fortin vs Alex Koestler

0-3 Bracket

Kevin Russel vs Carl Nogueira (Fill in)

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Hi Carl,

Will and I have agreed to play BFP-037 "Debacle At Yeang Dang". Will has the attacking French, whilst I have the defending Thai (Axis Minors). No balance is in effect.

John.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aaron, shoot me a note when you are ready to go. I tried to PM you but didn't get a response so not sure it's working.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aaron, shoot me a note when you are ready to go. I tried to PM you but didn't get a response so not sure it's working.
Jim, I will reach out through Skype and try to raise him.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
5 turns of BFP-037 "Debacle AT Yeang Dang" completed.

The Thai heavy (ish) weapons have taken a toll on the French advancing through the light jungle.

The French still have a bit to do, the Thais have to be feeling optimistic right now. But the AA trucks (24 exit VP worth) could well tip the scales.

John.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Will and I concluded our game of BFP-037 "Debacle At Yeang Dang" this morning (his evening).

The French needed to control at least one of the VC buildings to have any chance of victory, and for a while there was a reasonable chance of that happening. But by the time the Thais had overcome that crisis, 19 French squads had been eliminated (with a further 4 about to perish in the next RtPh), leaving the French no real chance getting a building. My (Axis Minor) Thais got the initiative early in this game, and the glacial pace of French rallying meant that I was able to keep it throughout most of the game. Will conceded in the AFPh of Thai turn 7.

Despite the rather one-sided result in this playing, I think that this is a good scenario, with a number of options open to the French attacker. I'd have no problem recommending this scenario to anyone else. The Thais have enough FP to take it to the French, and in the tactical situation, should.

My thanks to Will for a fun and memorable game. Look forward to crossing swords with him at a future date in the VASL Leagues......

John.

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Randy and I finished playing Coconut K (FT200) today with my defending IJA coming out victorious over Randy's attacking AMI's.

An interesting game with new terrain features that we haven't played before where both of us had to grasp the implication of the new terrain features. Well worth the adventure.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aaron, please send your email address when you have a chance and we can get a scenario picked out.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will and I concluded our game of BFP-037 "Debacle At Yeang Dang" this morning (his evening).

The French needed to control at least one of the VC buildings to have any chance of victory, and for a while there was a reasonable chance of that happening. But by the time the Thais had overcome that crisis, 19 French squads had been eliminated (with a further 4 about to perish in the next RtPh), leaving the French no real chance getting a building. My (Axis Minor) Thais got the initiative early in this game, and the glacial pace of French rallying meant that I was able to keep it throughout most of the game. Will conceded in the AFPh of Thai turn 7.

View attachment 11449

Despite the rather one-sided result in this playing, I think that this is a good scenario, with a number of options open to the French attacker. I'd have no problem recommending this scenario to anyone else. The Thais have enough FP to take it to the French, and in the tactical situation, should.

My thanks to Will for a fun and memorable game. Look forward to crossing swords with him at a future date in the VASL Leagues......

John.
Thanks John. I did note that the WW1 tanks died smack center of the battlefield. Will note this result.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Randy and I finished playing Coconut K (FT200) today with my defending IJA coming out victorious over Randy's attacking AMI's.

An interesting game with new terrain features that we haven't played before where both of us had to grasp the implication of the new terrain features. Well worth the adventure.
Thanks Vic. So noted sir.