FT269 SSR

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
I was going to suggest that "voluntarily" means that the units can rout if they have to, which suggests that "move" means "move their physical presence in time and space across the board" rather than "Move" as in "move during the Movement Phase" :) But A.3 is pretty unequivocal.

It's hard to tell what the intention was.
The full text of the SSR is:
British units may not voluntarily move until a Good Order Canandian unit enters a hex at level >= 2.
The Canadians are storming Hill 621, with the help of some British units hanging around at the bottom of the hill. I was thinking maybe poor co-ordination meant that the British didn't start moving until the Canadian attack was already underway. There isn't really anything in the scenario description or aftermath about this, other than the Allies being "battle-weary" and "exhausted". So, my guess is that the intent was the units can't move at all i.e. no Advance.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If a british unit goes berserk, is that voluntary or involuntary movement? It has aspects of both.

JR

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
But to a certain extent he does control it.
We're really dancing on the head of a pin now, but I'll bite :) Yes, the player has a very limited control over where the unit goes, but whether the unit moves or not at all (which is what the SSR is talking about), no he doesn't, AIUI that's dictated solely by the rules...?

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Says that British units cannot voluntarily move until some condition is met. Can they "advance" voluntarily?
I would think not because ADVANCE is covered under rule A4.7 a subset of the rules for 4 INFANTRY MOVEMENT. I don't see how one could equate Advance to anything other than movement unless one were to parse the rules so minutely that somehow you could arrive at the conclusion that the former does not equate to the latter.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If guys of LFT don't answer here, the question could be posted in their unofficial support folder.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
Answer : They can advance but not move during the Movement phase (exc berserk)

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Don’t know, but I think the British artillery and machine guns were shooting “area” fire to suppress the high ground Japanese positions while the Canadians advanced to win the positions. You can make small advances to change firing positions, but you are not supposed to use the British as assault troops unless the Canadians are near the top, and all targets on the reverse slope....

Best

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
Don’t know, but I think the British artillery and machine guns were shooting “area” fire to suppress the high ground Japanese positions while the Canadians advanced to win the positions. You can make small advances to change firing positions, but you are not supposed to use the British as assault troops unless the Canadians are near the top, and all targets on the reverse slope....

Best
yes