SSR questions/Help

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

I am designing some scenarios and I am trying to come up with a way to incorporate local troops/civilians
that "fired" on enemy troops, but really do not deserve counters in the scenario. They more or less melted away after the real fighting began.

I thought increasing the SAN would work, but this really does not reflect what I want to do.

I came up with letting the defenders have a number of IFT DRs equal to what I think the these local troops/civilians would do. Kinda of a one and done type of thing. Breakdown below;

(These can be used in any appropriate phase for the allied player in this case) (One per hex)

Turn#1)
1x 8FP, 1x6FP, 2x 4FP

Turn#2)
1x 6FP, 1x 4FP

Turn#3)
1x4FP

These of course can be adjusted as need.

Do you think this is to "gamey" and are there rules issues that might make this unworkable??

Thanks for your thoughts and feed back.

Regards
Joe
Maybe include an availability roll, like for PFs, but decreasing each turn, then a random quality selection roll. You might get some local help, of an unknown nature, with decreasing probability as the fight proceeds.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe include an availability roll, like for PFs, but decreasing each turn, then a random quality selection roll. You might get some local help, of an unknown nature, with decreasing probability as the fight proceeds.
Ed

Your reading my mind :) Thinking the same thing, or at least some random mechanic to introduce the residual counters.

Thanks
Joe

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Ed

Your reading my mind :) Thinking the same thing, or at least some random mechanic to introduce the residual counters.

Thanks
Joe
LOL Because I am not so intimately familiar with all the rules & their nuances as so many others, especially in this exceptional group, I did not have to think too hard. The suggestion clicked in my head quickly. I feel like a sixth grader among college professors, but sometimes I get a decent idea.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
To expand on this idea:
Use 3-3-6 Conscript squads from a nationality not in play.
Availability dr (Defender's RPh): Turn 1, dr 1-3; Turn 2, dr 1-2; Turn 3, dr 1. Number of squads generated = same dr per turn.
<insert some mechanic for placement>

Special rules for 3-3-6/1-2-6 units:
  1. cannot stack; deploy; operate SW; receive Leadership benefits; form FG; double-time; Rally.
  2. Fail MC = elim; Pass MC (or No Effect vs FP >= ML) = reduce to HS/HS elim (ex: a 2 FP Attack with No Effect truly has no effect; a 6FP Attack with No Effect reduces/eliminates).
  3. Eliminated MMC do not count towards CVP of Attacker.
  4. Automatic elim in CC after rolling for effect on Attacker.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To expand on this idea:
Use 3-3-6 Conscript squads from a nationality not in play.
Availability dr (Defender's RPh): Turn 1, dr 1-3; Turn 2, dr 1-2; Turn 3, dr 1. Number of squads generated = same dr per turn.
<insert some mechanic for placement>

Special rules for 3-3-6/1-2-6 units:
  1. cannot stack; deploy; operate SW; receive Leadership benefits; form FG; double-time; Rally.
  2. Fail MC = elim; Pass MC (or No Effect vs FP >= ML) = reduce to HS/HS elim (ex: a 2 FP Attack with No Effect truly has no effect; a 6FP Attack with No Effect reduces/eliminates).
  3. Eliminated MMC do not count towards CVP of Attacker.
  4. Automatic elim in CC after rolling for effect on Attacker.

Nice!! Have added to my "notes", thanks!!

Joe

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Thanks for commenting on this!! I agree, I might be given to much control over this situation to the defender. A more active SAN or just some "weaker" civilian units placed on map might be better and easier in the long run. :) Some good stuff to think about.

Regards
Joe
Partisan half-squads might be best, and maybe a single 7-0 leader. Maybe an SSR that they are ignored for rout purposes other than maybe not a legal rout DESTINATION.

Or give the defender some 'points' to spend on such HS, or SAN increase, or booby traps. That way, there is some Fog of War.

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
I was just looking @ J1 URBAN GUERILLAS. SSR5 is a mechanic which sounds similar to what you are looking for, not spot on, but not a throw away concept either.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was just looking @ J1 URBAN GUERILLAS. SSR5 is a mechanic which sounds similar to what you are looking for, not spot on, but not a throw away concept either.

Ed

Yep, I have looked at it, it is a clever SSR!!

Thanks
Joe