Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well,.... I made the 300 km trip to Lee M's place in Beaumont , Alberta where we sat down to a face-to-face game of ASL110 'The North Bank'. Lee and I have played each other for two decades and we play fast. My Germans hit the British right, which was the weaker side. On Turn 5 I got past the last PIAT and 57L AT to occupy the three hexes. The British 10-3, Hero, squad and LMG caused a lot of grief until they were cordoned off and couldn't block the last moves on the VC area. It only took 2 1/2 hours to complete the scenario.

Since we had about 6 hours before I had to make the trip back we randomly chose a Journal scenario and ended up with J20 'Guns of Naro'. I took the Italians and deployed the lads in depth across most of the map from hex row D all the way back to M5. Each 100* had at least one more supporting it along with infantry right next door.

The dice were favourable and by US Turn 3 I had killed all three jeeps and their passengers with a 6 FP and 2FP shot from two squads and a direct hit with a 100* ART. Both M5a1 went up in flames - one from a CC (DR2), the second from a CH with the 20L ATR at pointblank range. A Sherman went down to a direct fire HE CH and three 6-6-7 were forced to bail out when they failed MCs, and failed again on the Bail Out NMC. To add insult to injury 2 HS were then eliminated for failure to route.

Three DR 2 and a few low DR on attacks ranging from 1 to 6 FP along with bad luck on Lee's part did in the attackers.

It didn't go all my way, of course. I broke the MMG twice and a 100* ART malfunctioned. One FB made a Mistaken Attack and bombed a forward gun,... thankfully only pinning the crew. That said,.... low-ish DR overall made it a short game

With 33 CVP by turn 3, Lee threw in the towel. We (actually, I) did make a rules error that we didn't catch until after the game. I changed covered arc with a pinned gun and it had an effect. We actually looked for the rule in Chapter C but it was only discovered much later in A7.81.

Mia culpa.

Still,... two games in a little over 6 hours in one day made the 600+ km round trip worthwhile. Not a bad Saturday.

Edit: Can't seem to find a live link for ROAR. Is it still used?
You did it twice, in 6 hours? Did you take a little blue pill before you "got down to business"? :oops:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
You did it twice, in 6 hours? Did you take a little blue pill before you "got down to business"? :oops:
Hit the motorway to Edmonton about 0600h, arrived shortly before 0900h. We played the two scenarios and wrapped up about 1500h and I was on the road by 1600h (Red Bull (Blue), A&W burger and apple pie on the passenger seat). Back home about 1900h.

Easy Peasy.

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hit the motorway to Edmonton about 0600h, arrived shortly before 0900h. We played the two scenarios and wrapped up about 1500h and I was on the road by 1400h (Red Bull (Blue), A&W burger and apple pie on the passenger seat). Back home about 1900h.

Easy Peasy.
You are clearly a health conscious eater.....

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Cleaned my game room AKA my bedroom. I received a new mattress today for my bed and so took the excuse to totally blitz my game room/bed room. Vacuumed under the bed and the carpet, washed the skirting boards, washed the windows, moved all the furniture and cleaned behind it. The ASL game which is on the RB map on a 3' by 4' board was being tactfully moved around the room so as to not disturb the "Black Barricades" CG. I have invested hours and hours into this CG and will not allow something as trivial as cleaning to terminate it.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Plus I also washed my bedding. My old FtF buddy used to say you never wash bedding until the duvet sticks to the wall.... :D . I'm a bit more hygienic than that.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Finished up a 'Skype' game of Italian Brothers (J72). It went down to the final rout phase for a Fascist (Nationalist) win with 23 to 22 VP. I thought I was finished as early as turn 2 when two of my Italian assault guns were killed in VB Freeze. It was a long, slow crawl back from the point deficit when the building count became 2:2 by the end or turn 3.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Started clipping a load of BG counters for a customer Russian completed this evening Finns or Italians next

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I finally finished my Korea counters.
Inspired by Michael's post and Gordon's admonishment that it might only take "months" to clip all the counters I started the British about two weeks ago. Clipping away for about an hour each evening (during the news) I finished them last night (except the paras from PB and ABtF).

Now on to the Italians.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Inspired by Michael's post and Gordon's admonishment that it might only take "months" to clip all the counters I started the British about two weeks ago. Clipping away for about an hour each evening (during the news) I finished them last night (except the paras from PB and ABtF).

Now on to the Italians.
Once you get your clipping rate up to 15+ a minute you fly through countersheets ?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Clipped three sets of BG counters for a customer, Russian, Finns and Italians, several more nations to go.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Olli,

Other than compulsion, what drives you to have so many counters? You have more counters than could be used my 100 players so at some point, when will enough be enough? Just curious as I’ve stopped punching modules as storage is overflowing with more 1st line squads than I will ever put down there in a CG never mind a scenario! I was a completist for a while but CH cured me of my illness lol.

Clipped three sets of BG counters for a customer, Russian, Finns and Italians, several more nations to go.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Olli,

Other than compulsion, what drives you to have so many counters? You have more counters than could be used my 100 players so at some point, when will enough be enough? Just curious as I’ve stopped punching modules as storage is overflowing with more 1st line squads than I will ever put down there in a CG never mind a scenario! I was a completist for a while but CH cured me of my illness lol.
As said these are for a customer. But my collection is due to approx 20 years ago I ran a monthly club and all the guys only needed to bring the rule book and dice I supplied everything else, when I retire soonish I want to start it up again as my globetrotting days will be over. As for CH I stopped over 3 years ago and have saved Over $5000 buy not buying everything. And am now over 300 released items behind !