So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
J170 Red Churchills v Sven. we diced for sides. I drew the Russians (again) with the balance (no Finn HIP). ROAR has this one 8/18 pro Finn. we had a blast playing it. difficult problem for the Russians: crossing into the town (Viipuri) across three bridges. but, poor Sven's Finns had difficulty passing MC and the robust Russian OB ground into the central factory VC locations. by turn 6 the other VC factory was under assault but Russian AFV's were poised to exit for the requisite CVP so Steve conceded. like the variable OB's. had fun. would play it again as either side

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Erik Lindblad and I played SP179 BRITTANY SPEARED in a FtF session. I had the defending German paratroopers, supported by a Pak 40 and an 81mm mortar. Seeing the ROAR data, and analyzing the firepower available to the Americans, caused me to give the American balance (remove the PSK) before choosing sides. I had an up-front defence on the German right; the left side was further back in good rout territory. I had the stone pillbox with a squad and LMG on the rear left hill to guard against the turn two possible entering Americans. There were also a couple of units and dummies near that edge. The Pak 40 looked down the main road, but I did not expect to fire it in that direction. The mortar was on the rear right hill to cover the front hill. The wood pillbox with a trench-bunker was on the front hill with a couple of squads and an LMG. The best leader, with a squad and the MMG was in a trench on the main road intersection near the bridge.

The Americans have two Shermans with eleven first line squads. Erik attacked strong on the left side of the road with a small flanking force on the right side of the road with the one Sherman on each side. Erik had bad luck with morale checks for most of the game. There is an SSR that gives an American hero when the first American MMC passes a morale check. Erik did not receive the hero until turn 4! When the flanking force got into trouble, Erik sent the left Sherman to the right side to assist, temporarily forgetting his plan to not do that. Soon after both Shermans were eliminated; one to a PF, the second to the Pak 40 when the Sherman crossed the main road to rejoin the main attack. Erik chose to enter only one HS on the west edge during turn two. It died a turn later.

Most of the Germans on the front right pulled back to protect the rear right hill. Erik got troops on, and to the left, of the first hill, but my stand-and-die squad in a pillbox was not quite dead when Erik decided to concede because of too many casualties.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP134 Hell at Kiernozia

Tom and I picked up our PiF campaign again today with our 35th scenario. Roar has this 3 to 0 poles so not a lot of playings. I probably could have put together a better defense but the poles need to go for CVP victory since your being asked to cover way to wide a front vs the German who have insane numbers of AFVs and 7 leaders. I through in the towel early. Tom had great dice and mine sucked 4 rate of 3 fire weapons, only one showed up through 3 turns and it was all at one target which it failed to kill. Probably a good scenario but it sucked today.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Wow. Magnus Rimvall and I just had a very short playing of G33 THE AWAKENING OF SPRING. It is a ten turn scenario; Magnus conceded after two. As the Germans I chose the VC of exiting 36 VP. The Germans have a left force and a right force. I set up the left force in the middle to go right. My overall plan was to push the tanks quickly through the main line of resistance and not worry much about the infantry, although I had a few riders. I admit I got lucky with my choice to go right, because the 100L ATG was set up on the German left. It had only one shot at one tank and the gun missed. The 85L ART had several shots at several tanks, but it was not lucky on the TK rolls. I also got lucky with the weather; the falling snow increased to heavy snow on turn one. By the end of the German turn two movement phase, three panthers and two JgPz 5 (with a couple of riders) were in position to exit the map before the Russian turn 3 reinforcements arrived.

End of game screen capture:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hell in a Very Small Place, Red Banner IC 3 One of the outer forts at Dien Bien Phu, '54. Large Viet Minh force must take level 2 hexes. The French are well dug in, but aren't numerous enough to fight everywhere. The Viet bombardment missed almost everything! One squad broken. ( We decided to play it through anyway.) My French defense was centered on hill 526 and let the Viet Minh have the smaller hills. It took three tries of bloodletting to get the Viet Minh through the wire. However, once inside the wire, there were too few Communists around to seize much hill. The Viet Minh took 10 of the needed 13 hill hexes. But I was able to retake some of them. French Victory. Nice scorpions in a bottle scenario.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fresh off the presses is Operations 9 with ASL scenario O18 Purple Heart Hill. This scenario is a fight over Hill 108 (interestingly, a named hill on board e). It seems this board has been waiting decades for this scenario to finally arrive.

It is Normandy June 18th, the Americans are defending Hill 108 with an assortment of Elite to 2nd-line squads, HMG and MMGs, DC, bazookas and a mortar. The Germans arrive in three infantry groups of varying quality, from three directions, one group entering on each of the first three turns. A Pz IVH and PSW 233 enter with one of these. The Germans have a choice in which groups arrive first and where they enter.

The Americans must clearly understand how the bocage will help and hinder their defense, something I didn’t quite grok until after the game had started. My radio for 100mm OBA broke on its first roll didn't help my cause, nor did my four of my units going berserk and charging into withering German Defensive Fire. The game was officially over on Turn 6 with one German Turn to go, with the last American squads eliminated on the level-2 hill hexes.

That said, my opponent played better and we agreed it was a good scenario that would be played again. Also, bocage battles are always a nice change from the regular fare.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just played a grueling game of A105 Police Action from 1997 Annual. Germans won in the 12th (last) turn. This one has hard choices for the Partisans, to go for exit or go for a stout defense of the hill. My opponent chose the hill defense. Low ELR was unusual for the Partisans. Making for lots of broken Partisan half squads.

Last edited:

buser333

Reaction score
Just played a grueling game of A105 Police Action by MMP. Germans won in the 12th (last) turn. This one has hard choices for the Partisans, to go for exit or go for a stout defense of the hill. My opponent chose the hill defense. Low ELR was unusual for the Partisans. Making for lots of broken Partisan half squads.
While I appreciate everything MMP has done for the hobby, I think you mean AH. Just saying.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I appreciate everything MMP has done for the hobby, I think you mean AH. Just saying.
Corrected. It was AH with the 1997 Annual. Was trying to avoid confusion with the BFP scenario of the same name.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played BFP-77 Burning Down the House as the attacking Germans. Looong scenario. Another two weekend affair. Got halfway through turn 3 (of 6.5) the first weekend. The up front buildings were all mined but the HS rush did what they needed to do and secured them easily. The AT Ditches were stretched across the front of the main portion of the village in the center. A very hard push up the western side helped the Germans seize almost all of the smaller western part of the village by mid turn 3. A smaller group stormed the A-T Ditches and advanced into the first row of buildings in the center. The following weekend, the Germans mopped up the rest of the western village and flanked the center village. The center forces for the most part held firm and tied up the Russian squads. Russian turn 5 ended the game. A series of terrible PBF/MC/anything else that required a DR by the Russians sealed their fate. My friend called it after he rolled a MC snakes with one of his engineers which then promptly surrendered on the ensuing HOB roll. I think the Germans controlled about 20 of the 22 VPs needed for the win at that point.

Too much firepower for the Germans, IMHO. The Russians are outnumbered almost two to one in squads and more than five to one in vehicles - and that's after the Russian tanks come on in turn 3. The five FTs (three vehicular) did the bulk of the damage by KIAing more squads than they had a right to. By the time the Russian reinforcements came on, even after losing several German tanks to sneaky hidden AT Guns, the German tanks were in position to interdict much of their movement forcing them to pretty much skulk around behind the village. This isn't to say the scenario is a dog for the Russians; I think they have a very good chance to win. They have plenty of AT weapons to fend off the German armor and their two ART Guns are bad ass. They just need a little luck to help them out, i.e. getting rate with them and then rolling low on the TK rolls. In the end, the Russians just got overwhelmed by sheer numbers.

Last edited:

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok. Despite my post that I was going to take a break from ASL partly due to an up coming work assignment that will have me away form home for a few months and mainly due to the absolute beating inflicted on me in Schutzstaffel Shindig where I had some of the worst luck and my opponent had some of the best luck I've seen in 25+ years of playing this game. I walked away from that scenario more pissed off than I think I've ever felt at an ASL game. I don't know why-it was just crappy luck. I would play the scenario the exact same way if I did it again.

I failed in my attempt to take a break from ASL and played 2 scenarios this weekend. Both scenarios were against Scott R. First up was FrF100 Deutsch Lesson. I had the British. We played through 3 turns and just decided that neither one of us were having much fun. The British couldn't push the on board Germans out the woods on the west side of the Railroad and the German reinforcements were parked just waiting for the Brits to try and cross the railroad. We were both less than thrilled by this, we decided to call it a game and both agreed to chalk it up as a German win as they had the clear advantage. So we took a break, fired up the grill and cooked some Beer Brats and enjoyed a nice lunch and some wonderful summer weather.

After lunch we had about an hour of time left so we picked scenario Q1 Simple Mission-a very small dice fest of a scenario. I took the defending Brits. Scott rolled on with his first tank and I managed to flame it with a "2" on the TK roll from an ATR shot. After that it went downhill fast. The Squad with the ATR was broken by the second tank and then reduced by AFP shot from some of his infantry. The other squad, leader and MMG took a shot at his 5-4-8 squads and rolled a "12". He fired back and broke the squad and leader. Everyone routes away. 2nd British turn nothing happens as no one rallies. I forgot the crew and MTR under one of the concealment counters (I had 3 dummy stacks on that side the board as well) on my left flank-they did nothing the entire game. Second German turn sees the tank exit the board. (Brit 25LL AT Gun had no shot). I managed to rally my broken guys. But Scott was still able to get the 8-0 and 2 4-6-7s in a position where they would be able to exit the board on German turn 3-so he got the required 10 VP exited for the win. As a side note his FT scored a 1 KIA on the hex that contained the just rallied British leader, squad and hs. Random selection see the leader and hs die. We both had fun-though we had a difficult time taking this scenario seriously-it was good filler.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Magnus Rimvall and I played FT141 EASY DAY AT VALUPAI. Eleven marine squads with 1 BAZ, 2 MMG need to clear a road of most Japanese presence and preserve their one Sherman tank in 5.5 turns. The Japanese have 8 mixed quality squads, 2 LMG, 1 light mortar, and a crew with a .50 cal HMG. It is a bug hunt with a couple of SSR to make it slightly different. I deployed five marine squads to be able to run through lots of hexes to find the HIP MMC and possible HIP THH. I also planned advances accordingly. I always kept an MMC with the tank. Magnus chose to fall back most of the time. When the Japanese could not fall back, they received a lot of fire and CC attacks. The marines found the two HIP HS at opposite board edges in turn 3. Magnus had not set up a THH HIP, and I never gave him a good opportunity to try to run a THH at the tank. After the fifth American turn, there was only one Japanese crew left. The Japanese need at least two MMC near the road to win.

The screen capture shows the situation at the end of American turn three. The red squares mark hexes known to be Japanese-free.

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
The last 4 scenarios completed were:
G8 - RECON IN FORCE as Axis
FrF23 - ELEPHANTS UNLEASHED as Allies
ASL143 - GREBBE END as Allies
SP147 - THE ZEBRA MISSION as Axis
Three wins there, but am about to loose OB3 - CLOSE QUARTERS as Allies.

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
I am not yet ready for a CG, though I have played HF3 - FIRST TIMERS scenario as the Axis. Fun scenario

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
you guys should really restart your CG. Using road movement bonus is a huge gaff. The Germans already have a tough time as is and with the Americans using Road Bonus allows them to get their reinforcements into the battle way way to early.

Scott

Bud Garding and I are two days into Hatten in Flames CG I

Two German victories so far. Recap at my blog:

Cardboard Warrior

Thanks for reading!