HP176 The Only Way Out

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Fanatic TW and I had a Blast playing HP176 The Only Way Out. He even let me play the Finns. ROAR only has a few postings for this gem, 5/3 Finns. I hope the funky setup and 10 turns does not keep folks away from giving this one a go. Ya, Ted and I play fast but this played fast and it was super tense right down to the very end

Even the situation is neat: Finns v Germans in Lapland. I'd like to see more from the Lapland War

The setup is different but it gives a neat effect. the Germans get couple HIP 'rear guard' squads, then the Finns setup in two equal groups, then the Germans dr to place their remaining OB. The effect is strung-out Germans trying to exit off board 7 & 39 with Finns along their flanks

The fight was desperate. The Finns scored first blood with a 1/2 squad weathering some stiff German firepower to advance in CC, ambushed the Germs, and eliminated them, then took his foxhole & LMG. That move slowed German advance couple critical turns with the Finns getting a few MMC's into the woods overlay area

But the Germans kept grinding forward. The Finn SAN 4 saw Simo Jr on fire! He zapped couple leaders and a few squads. Yet, the Germans kept up the pressure and cleaned out the pocket of Finns in the woods overlay area and busted through the southern pocket of Finns

The real excitement came at the very end however. See, throughout the scenario Ted generated Four Fanatic squads and SEVEN HEROS! Germans were generating some serious firepower with good negative mods and then on their last turn all kinds of Germans were making the desperate dash off board. The Finns had done well to slow the German advance but he was in it to the end. But, in the end the Germans came up short

End of game the CVP were about even, around 20. the Germans need 10 more CVP than the Finns to win

The Only Way Out is a really fun scenario. In spite of the 10 turns it played fast. The random setup made for an interesting engagement and with good re-playability. I would play it again as either side

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
This was one of the more creative designs for HP. I am happy the way it ended up, it took a while to get the setup thing working during playtest.

Great AAR, I'm glad you liked it.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
This was one of the more creative designs for HP. I am happy the way it ended up, it took a while to get the setup thing working during playtest.

Great AAR, I'm glad you liked it.

Great Scenario, we had a lot of fun. I really like the German setup SSR. Ted did good job placing half squads adjacent to Finns. Despite the restrictive terrain he got his forces consolidated and moving forward.

A clever fellow might be able to use that type setup SSR to design a Motti attack scenario Winter War