Narrow streets MP B31.11

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A vehicle pays half bypass cost on narrow streets. Does this apply to an AFV both BU and CE, or does a BU AFV pay normal bypass (2 MP/hexside) and the CE pays pays 1/2 (1MP/hexside)? In the halved bypass cost, does the vca change at the vertex cost 1, or 1/2 MP?

Thanks in advance.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cost is 1MP regardless of BU/CE status. It is in the last example paragraph right above B31.142 Mines, on page B39 Pocket Rule book.

Seth

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
B31.11Cost is 1MP regardless of BU/CE status. It is in the last example paragraph right above B31.142 Mines, on page B39 Pocket Rule book.

Seth
Here is the B31.11 wording:
VBM along a Narrow Street ... costs half the normal Bypass MP expenditure [EXC: VCA change (D2.33) remains one MP (MF for a Wagon)].
The "normal" Bypass MP seems to be the MP per hexside for Open Ground, so road movement rate is not taken in consideration for Narrow Roads.
It would be 1 MP per hexside for an tracked or half-tracked vehicle, 2 MP for a truck, 1.5 MP for an armoured car.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
It would be 1 MP per hexside for an tracked or half-tracked vehicle, 2 MP for a truck, 1.5 MP for an armoured car.
It is 1 MP for all types of vehicles, per the B31.141 EX:

"A vehicle (tracked or not) in L11 moving to J12 would pay 1 MP along the L12-K12 hexside (half the normal 2 MP for Bypassing in Open Ground), plus 2 MP for the VCA change and entry onto the K12-K13 hexside, regardless of CE/BU status. "

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The mention of "the normal 2 MP for Bypassing in Open Ground" opens the question of what is normality.
The Bypassing in Open Ground is derived from the MP spent in Open Ground, which is variable.
So, is the tracked vehicle MP cost considered the norm?
Wouldn't the rule wording be better, indicating that the normal MP cost is 1?
As much as examples are the rules, isn't it strange nevertheless that an example alone contains crucial data that could - I venture even : "should" - appear in a rule paragraph?
I dare say that the rule could simply state that a Narrow Road hexside costs 1 MP, regardless of BU/CE status...
I think that I always played that Narrow Roads cost 1 MP per hexside, before I tried to answer this rules question, though.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I dare say that the rule could simply state that a Narrow Road hexside costs 1 MP, regardless of BU/CE status...
Yes it could (perhaps should) - but the KGP rules did not. The KGP and PB rules do not have any example spelling out the MP cost like B31 does though. Perhaps the example text was added n B31 due to this Q&A:

P5.11 What is "half the normal Bypass MP expenditure"?
A. One MP if on paved road (i.e., half of the normal two MP for Bypassing in Open Ground)
or 1-1/2 MP if on an unpaved road (i.e., half of the normal three MP for Bypassing in Soft
(as per SSR KGP 5) Open Ground).
[An95w; An96]