A99 To Clear a Roadblock

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I need to know what kind of Jedi Mind Trick allowed the Partisans to get a 337 to S6 on turn 1 without being encircled by fire from S5 and S7, and thus advance into CC against the Gun crew in T5. I mean, even if both S5 and S7 had been Final Fired at that point, it would seem pretty imperative to keep the Partisans from infiltrating that far...

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I need to know what kind of Jedi Mind Trick allowed the Partisans to get a 337 to S6 on turn 1 without being encircled by fire from S5 and S7, and thus advance into CC against the Gun crew in T5. I mean, even if both S5 and S7 had been Final Fired at that point, it would seem pretty imperative to keep the Partisans from infiltrating that far...
If the units had Final Fired prior to the unit's movement into S6 they couldn't have used FPF during their DFPh to encircle the unit there (7.7 ENCIRCLEMENT: Any non-Aerial Infantry, or Vulnerable PRC of an Immobile vehicle, fired upon consecutively during the same PFPh, DFPh (not MPh), or AFPh...) as FPF can only be used vs moving units (8.31 FINAL PROTECTIVE FIRE (FPF): FPF is a Subsequent First Fire option available only to DEFENDING Infantry already marked with a Final Fire counter13 which wish to use their Small Arms [EXC: MOL]/MG/IFE to attack ADJACENT or same-hex moving ground units...).

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the units had Final Fired prior to the unit's movement into S6 they couldn't have used FPF during their DFPh to encircle the unit there (7.7 ENCIRCLEMENT: Any non-Aerial Infantry, or Vulnerable PRC of an Immobile vehicle, fired upon consecutively during the same PFPh, DFPh (not MPh), or AFPh...) as FPF can only be used vs moving units (8.31 FINAL PROTECTIVE FIRE (FPF): FPF is a Subsequent First Fire option available only to DEFENDING Infantry already marked with a Final Fire counter13 which wish to use their Small Arms [EXC: MOL]/MG/IFE to attack ADJACENT or same-hex moving ground units...).
Yep that's it. Very interesting SSR. Scott (aka Grumble Jones) was more cautious than I would have been the first turn. Which is likely good as I had 5 PINs and three final fires. But the Final Fires were all on 5-4-8 LMG groups. Usually I will FPF with 8 morale but sustaining MGs...

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Nice one! I'm looking forward to the ACW review.
As am I.
I asked if anyone had played this CH product years ago, but got no reply from the Forum posters;
so this will be an interesting AAR, especially played by two knowledgeable ACW gamers.

Off ASL topic, but on ACW topic: Grumble & Dan, which is your favourite ACW wargame to play (at any scale)?

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As am I.
I asked if anyone had played this CH product years ago, but got no reply from the Forum posters;
so this will be an interesting AAR, especially played by two knowledgeable ACW gamers.

Off ASL topic, but on ACW topic: Grumble & Dan, which is your favourite ACW wargame to play (at any scale)?
I must confess this is my first ACW gaming experience. I have studied the battle and visited the battlefield often. But I have never gamed ACW. I am excited to try the rules out.

Grumblejones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As am I.

I enjoy Johnny Reb with 15mm Miniatures. I also use my own home grown rules as well. A buddy of mine in Tennessee helped me create them in 1980. Very simple, but wonderfully playable. We originally developed them for Napoleonics and later adapted them to ACW.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
15's. Your eyesight must be holding up pretty well :)

I'm looking forward to seeing lines of Blue & Grey on our everyday ASL boards (I really enjoy your AAR's BTW).