Bounding Fire 2019 - Blackpool, UK

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Hi all. Just an update on this year's tournament.

The website will gradually update over the next months, but note that the registration page is now open for advance payments. Alternatively the option remains to just pay at the event. The site - (BF2019)

Simon and I don't intend any major sweeping changes to the tournament format. The feedback we received was overwhelmingly good (thanks !). No sense in trying to bust something that isn't busted. So;

• Same hotel. We would love to move this thing around the country but it's borderline impossible. It's not easy to find venues ANYWHERE to accommodate what we do. And even harder to find venues which a) allow us to leave our stuff around, b) feed us, c) sleep us, and d) facilitate our general drunkenness all under one roof. The simple fact that Charles continues to give us sole run on his wonderful B&B for the weekend is just huge. And it simply cannot be matched elsewhere. Or if such a place exists, I have yet to find it.
  • The Minis will again run on the Thursday, and through the weekend for those unable to participate in the main tourney. Groups of 4, straight knockout, there will be the usual choice of 3 scenarios per round but this year, following feedback from participants, and in keeping with the theme of the main tournament, these will only be released to participants once we are in Blackpool. The Minis are therefore “blind” - although you will know and be able to pick your preferred theatre e.g. PTO - with the scenarios drawn from the full range of those already published.”
  • Main tournament. Very similar format as last time.
    • Groups. Randomly drawn. Unless we managed to achieve 32 entrants this year in which case we'll move to a straight knockout format, with random draws each round. Either way, it'll be random. Because I liked it that way.
    • Scenarios, blind. Mainly unpublished. Potentially some surprises. One scenario only per round of course.
    • Some other 'tweaks' around the periphery but nothing ground breaking. People seemed to have a lot of fun. We don't intend to risk spoiling that.
  • There will be the similar high quality of prizes.
Check in on the site as Simon's done a shed load of updating, including such as the 'accounts' from last year, winners details etc. And of course the tournament rules are on there. And please don't forget to book your room directly with the hotel. (The Headlands Hotel). I recommend calling them by phone as the online booking section is usually blocked out to avoid Mr and Mrs Postlethwaite getting the biggest shock of their lives when they turn up that weekend to celebrate their golden wedding anniversary...

More to follow. Thanks for listening.

Martin/Simon

Last edited:

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It is a great tournament and I'll do my best to make it. One question though, Martin, if I may: you mention that the scenarios will be 'mainly unpublished'. Does that mean they won't all be? That would be a shame, if so - it's your USP!

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
It is a great tournament and I'll do my best to make it. One question though, Martin, if I may: you mention that the scenarios will be 'mainly unpublished'. Does that mean they won't all be? That would be a shame, if so - it's your USP!
Nice one.

I hope all unpublished. I think we will manage it this year. I worry about next year but will cross the bridge when we arrive at it...

M

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Can confirm all the scenarios will definitely be unpublished. We are nearly there. It's just now deciding which unpublished ones to go with :)

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi everyone, already secured permission to attend - very much looking forward to it. One question - as a relatively recent returner to the game after an absence of 15 years, will you be able to let me know what theatres will be covered by the scenarios - for instance my PTO knowledge is rather limited but there is time to brush up on that before November?

Dave

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Hi everyone, already secured permission to attend - very much looking forward to it. One question - as a relatively recent returner to the game after an absence of 15 years, will you be able to let me know what theatres will be covered by the scenarios - for instance my PTO knowledge is rather limited but there is time to brush up on that before November?

Dave
Great stuff.

Next announcement will include details such as nationalities, and boards, required. But I'm happy to say now that there WILL be one PTO scenario. Although it's a fairly vanilla PTO scenario (if such a thing exists). Japanese of course. But terrain fairly basic. Belter of a scenario though. Can't tell you how much fun I've had playtesting it.

Are you on my email circular David? If not, PM me your email address and I'll add you.

M