Da Paul Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
All of the Soviet boats depicted in St Nazaire/Operation Chariot are 76L-armed variants.

As a bit of trivia, there is an "extra" type not listed in the St Nazaire/Operation Chariot Soviet vehicle listings, a type labeled "VFS". It is MG armed.

JR

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/12/11/soviet-armored-ww2-patrol-boat-bk-31-recovered-stalingrad/

My favorite part I think was seeing the wooden patch cone plugs that were hammered into the 20mm holes to try and stop the leaking.

The deck plans:

View attachment 8953
I have to say, these have been some of the most fascinating historical posts I've seen around here in a very long time. Certainly provides a somber perspective of the human toll of this most violent of WWII battles. Thank you for sharing this along with the associated Russian news report. I've enjoyed this story every bit as much as those images of our lost CV's rediscovered by Paul Allen's people.
I sincerely hope that this Russian river boat and its artifacts find a proper display in a museum, and may her crew and passengers receive the military burial which they deserve.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to say, these have been some of the most fascinating historical posts I've seen around here in a very long time. Certainly provides a somber perspective of the human toll of this most violent of WWII battles. Thank you for sharing this along with the associated Russian news report. I've enjoyed this story every bit as much as those images of our lost CV's rediscovered by Paul Allen's people.
I sincerely hope that this Russian river boat and its artifacts find a proper display in a museum, and may her crew and passengers receive the military burial which they deserve.
Remember the "proper military funeral" may be as simple as listing the section of the river where the boat was located as a "registered war grave". Many European countries have vastly different outlooks on repatriating war dead than Americans have held since around 1950 or so. It's simply a cultural difference that can be misconstrued at times into a lack of respect for the fallen, by either side of that debate. But in the end - all sides tend to hold, in their own way, proper respect for those who fell.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Amazing how intact a lot of things are, especially after decades under water.

River mud must be a great preservative!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Amazing how intact a lot of things are, especially after decades under water.

River mud must be a great preservative!
fresh water and sediment are the main ingredients in fossil formations and some of them are amazingly intact. Steel, especially coarse grade alloy steel- will develop a thin later of surface oxidation and then all decay will stop for a very long period of time, unless acted upon by constant flow of an electrolyte, like saline (ie salt water).

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
one must have one's priorities in focus at all times while on the line......
Need to place a higher priority by fastening that beer crate to the vehicle...it is presently likely to fall off at the first right-turn!!! :p:rofl:o_O

Semper Fi!
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.