Hatten: HF1 Black Day - WP10 clarification

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,
I was doubtful about the correct interpretation of the SSR 3. It says: "Each American .... MTR is considered to have WP10 for its first WP To Hit attempt."
Suppose during first Prep Fire I try to shot a WP with the MTR, I roll a 9, the normal Depletion number for the MTR is 7. What is happening:
a) because the MTR for first shot is considered to have WP10 then the MTR does still have the WP but from next shots its DP will be 7;
b) I could potentially put the WP because the first shot has WP10, but because the MTR has WP7, then the MTR cannot use the WP anymore?
Thanks for your help.
Cheers

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hi all,
I was doubtful about the correct interpretation of the SSR 3. It says: "Each American .... MTR is considered to have WP10 for its first WP To Hit attempt."
Suppose during first Prep Fire I try to shot a WP with the MTR, I roll a 9, the normal Depletion number for the MTR is 7. What is happening:
a) because the MTR for first shot is considered to have WP10 then the MTR does still have the WP but from next shots its DP will be 7;
b) I could potentially put the WP because the first shot has WP10, but because the MTR has WP7, then the MTR cannot use the WP anymore?
The MTR is considered to have WP10 for the first shot for all purposes. If you roll 2-9, WP is placed and the MTR does not deplete. If you roll 10, you place WP but deplete. If you roll 11, no WP for you and you deplete. If you roll 12, you deplete and malfunction.

Note that if you want an "official" reply (as opposed to opinions of those of us on gamesquad), you need to e-mail MMP at asl_qa@multimanpublishing.com rather than posting here.

JR

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
Thank you all. I am sure with all that support I will still lose the scenario, but with much more fun
;)
PS: Clarification appreciated

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
If you roll 10, you place WP but deplete
Curious ... under what circumstances would a roll of "10" be a hit when firing WP from a MTR?

I'm not saying that there aren't any! I don't think it would be very common though. (I guess leadership for a SW MTR would be the usual bonus; are there other possibilities?)

So errata for JR's post: insert "(if you hit)" after "WP is placed" and after "place WP".

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Curious ... under what circumstances would a roll of "10" be a hit when firing WP from a MTR?

I'm not saying that there aren't any! I don't think it would be very common though. (I guess leadership for a SW MTR would be the usual bonus; are there other possibilities?)

So errata for JR's post: insert "(if you hit)" after "WP is placed" and after "place WP".
Yes, that's true. There was an implicit, "if you hit." A 10 could be a hit if the target was large (e.g. Panther) or acquired for one when the +2 TH Modification applied for SMOKE at range ≤ 12 hexes. A large target with acquisition -2 will also be hit at range > 12. It's not totally outlandish situations. The 10 depletion is for the first WP attack, not the first attack, so a MTR could easily gain -2 acquisition with HE on a CE Panther at range > 12 using its 3 ROF, for example, then switch to WP (in a later fire phase, of course) when it buttoned up to mess with its LOS.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Can leaders not direct a SW mortar shot?
That would be another way to get the DRM needed, in combination with range ≤ 12. A -3 leader does it straight out. That said it's not very often that I have a leader directing a SW MTR. FFNAM together with range ≤ 12 will also do it, as long as the shot is before any non-SMOKE DFF. I think that needing a 10 to hit is going to be not the most common situation, but it's not crazy uncommon either.

JR