Corregidor: the Rock CG II Questions

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, what a blood bath. I planned my stick drop points at least 12 hexes away from any board edge.

I'm pretty confident that is is standard CVP value i.e. 2 CVP for gun / 2 CVP for crews.

I saw no value in Direct Fire for NOBA. Seems needless to me except you don't have to draw a card. I would rather draw cards and hammer 8 hexes, especially with 200mm. No harm for red cards since drawing 2 does not cancel NOBA. Also, 6 black and 2 red is a pretty decent deck to draw from.
G14.63.....wouldn't the NOBA module have 5 black and 2 red cards? Nit picking, I know. :)
NOBA DF has several advantages, but is best deployed in situations where its benefits can be fully realized. The beach landing scenz are a good example. Firing at targets in the ravines is another. And being able to change your guns' "position" along the map edge means you can attack targets that might not be in LOS/LOF of a normal NOBA observer. Don't have to use it, but it is there when you need it.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And Shipboard observer is the only option for 200 NOBA given in the initial CGII forces? NO radio, NO offbd observer?
You could wait until you have paras on the ground and drop them with the 7-0 w/Radio allowed for group O6, but then you would not be able to even begin using the module until turn 2. I would prefer to use the shipboard observer (G14.68) myself and have that NOBA blasting away right from the start. "A non-Aerial Offboard Observer used with an NOBA battery is referred to as a Shipboard Observer."
So, even though as per the note under the American RG Chart, you can select a 7-0 w/Radio or an offboard observer, since you have no "boots on the ground" even the offboard observer would not even be available to use until turn 2 at the soonest. You basically have no on the island so you could not have anyone calling in the fire.
re: your serious drifting......only thing I could suggest would be to not place any of your Initial Drop Points within twelve- fifteen hexes of any board edge. With Heavy Winds you know you will drift.....the math says about half of your force will use the Initial Drop Point so your drifting will not be too bad. Don't be afraid of selecting a building/rubble hex or a jungle hex as your IDP. Many players want to select an open ground hex for their IDP. You know that with the drift you will not land there in most cases....although I did have a couple who did not get the IDP, the DR had them drift against the wind, then drifted right back to the IDP. It happens. I think I averaged between 30 - 50% casualties in my drops on Coors. Worst losses were always from landing injuries, rather than from Japanese Defensive Fire. Hope that helps.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
G14.63.....wouldn't the NOBA module have 5 black and 2 red cards? Nit picking, I know. :)
Per CtR 12.5195 NOTE all NOBA modules are automatically "Plentiful". So, I'm assuming 6 black 2 red cards

You could wait until you have paras on the ground and drop them with the 7-0 w/Radio allowed for group O6, but then you would not be able to even begin using the module until turn 2. I would prefer to use the shipboard observer (G14.68) myself and have that NOBA blasting away right from the start.
CGII Initial Scenario SSR states NOBA comes with a shipboard observer. Can you decline that and use a Radio instead? What if you retain that module? Can you add a 7-0 and a radio on say, day 2, instead of using the shipboard observer?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per CtR 12.5195 NOTE all NOBA modules are automatically "Plentiful". So, I'm assuming 6 black 2 red cards

Yup, dang it. Totally forgot about that. Don't I feel like a newb. Shoulda re-read the rules set prior to responding.

CGII Initial Scenario SSR states NOBA comes with a shipboard observer. Can you decline that and use a Radio instead? What if you retain that module? Can you add a 7-0 and a radio on say, day 2, instead of using the shipboard observer?
You can. See the notes underneath the American Reinforcement Group Chart....I believe it is notes h and J (?). Maybe h and i.....games stuff NA right now. The NOBA module has available a 7-0 w/Radio. Not sure why anyone would want that as opposed to a shipboard observer. 1) the SMC w/Radio could be KIA upon landing. 2) the Japanese could take out the SMC w/Radio even if he survives the para landing. They have no effect on the guy sitting on the ship. 3) the contact number (8) is barely above even odds, while the contact for the shipboard observer is automatic. Still, whatever works best for each individual player. I just think the benefits of the shipboard observer are far too great to pass up.

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Game in progress and NRBH.

Can a paratrooper in Corregior CGII gain concealment in the same turn as they dropped if otherwise possible?

/S

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Can a paratrooper in Corregior CGII gain concealment in the same turn as they dropped if otherwise possible?

/S
That’s the way we played it. Nothing in para rules says they can’t. COWTRA

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

/S
See CtR 8.10 Advance Phase - "All except those already Deployed, have their large chute counters removed from play and the component units are moved from the Cloaking Counter Display Sheet to the map with all their normal capabilities restored." Since Concealment gain is a "normal capability" then, yes, they can gain it at the end of the turn in which they land.

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per Japanese RG footnote:

e. Comes with an 8-0 SMC and a Radio. May substitute a Field Phone for the Radio by adding 1 to the CPP cost. May substitute an Offboard Observer for a Radio by adding "2" to the CPP cost

What level is the Japanese OBO? American RG footnote "i" says OBO is level 3.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per Japanese RG footnote:

e. Comes with an 8-0 SMC and a Radio. May substitute a Field Phone for the Radio by adding 1 to the CPP cost. May substitute an Offboard Observer for a Radio by adding "2" to the CPP cost

What level is the Japanese OBO? American RG footnote "i" says OBO is level 3.
Theirs should be Level 3 as well.....I'll notify Rick to fix it....thanks. Have no idea how that got dropped from the Note.

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Is it OK to do point attacks also with the multi bomb planes even though only one bomb (max) can be dropped in each oint attack is that correct?

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it OK to do point attacks also with the multi bomb planes even though only one bomb (max) can be dropped in each oint attack is that correct?
I presume you are talking about the Heavy bomb load aircraft? If so, point attacks are NA for them (see Corrs rules 10.2)

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I presume you are talking about the Heavy bomb load aircraft? If so, point attacks are NA for them (see Corrs rules 10.2)
My reading of this is that Point Attacks cannot be made while dropping bombs. However, a B24 or A20 should be able to conduct a Point Attack without dropping bombs, correct?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My reading of this is that Point Attacks cannot be made while dropping bombs. However, a B24 or A20 should be able to conduct a Point Attack without dropping bombs, correct?
Apologize for the delayed reply. Rick was buried hosting the Texas Team Tournament so was unavailable, and I have been (and will be for the next couple of months) buried in major home remodeling. As I have opportunity I will endeavor to address any questions but there will probably be a couple days' delay (as with this one). Just finished rebuilding my stairs and now am deep in installing tile throughout the lower levels of our home.
Look at CtR 10.2. The only restriction listed is you cannot combine multiple bomb attacks in a single hex during a Point Attack. So........since nothing out of the ordinary is "prohibited" then you may deduce that Point Attacks are allowed and you can even combine MG's and one bombing attack in a Point Attack vs one hex.
With that said, the P38 Lightning can also do this but the P38 cannot do "bombing runs". Just my opionion....but using the A20 or the B24 in Point Attacks is a waste of a valuable option. Still, whatever gets the job done for you is all good. Enjoy.

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
nice so I can do point attack w bombs 3times if i got 3 bombs. Can I do a bomb run w 2 bombs if one bomb has already been used?

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
nice so I can do point attack w bombs 3times if i got 3 bombs. Can I do a bomb run w 2 bombs if one bomb has already been used?
The way I read 10.1 is that dropping bombs is all or nothing. In my game the B25 never had a chance since it was blown out of the sky by Heavy AA turn 1. The A20s were constantly evading and never had a chance to drop bombs. The P38s are the only aircraft I would consider buying in the future. It's just too easy to kill the 'heavys'. I'm not willing to spend CPP to give CG VPs to the Japanese.

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The way I read 10.1 is that dropping bombs is all or nothing.
Check out post 33 above

"Look at CtR 10.2. The only restriction listed is you cannot combine multiple bomb attacks in a single hex during a Point Attack. So........since nothing out of the ordinary is "prohibited" then you may deduce that Point Attacks are allowed and you can even combine MG's and one bombing attack in a Point Attack vs one hex."

/S

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
How is this situation handled:

At start of the APh a cx747 is located in D23. Can he advance into C23 fortified building if:

1. The Japanese unit at crest status is real?

2. if the Japanese unit at crest status is a dummy?

/S

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How is this situation handled:

View attachment 9840
At start of the APh a cx747 is located in D23. Can he advance into C23 fortified building if:

1. The Japanese unit at crest status is real?

2. if the Japanese unit at crest status is a dummy?

/S
In both cases, yes, since the unit is not in the fortified location, you can enter the building. Since a unit in Crest status is one level higher than the bottom of the hex (B20.91), they wouldn't necessarily even be eligible for CC since they aren't in the same location.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
I suppose a special rule per “crest status” in those hexes..

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I suppose a special rule per “crest status” in those hexes..
And for determining "Location" in a hex? To the best of my knowledge, only a PB establishes a separate Location within a hex [EXC: Bldg levels etc.].