Dug-in Tank Setup

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking for confirmation or refutation of my interpretation of rules D9.5 through D9.54. Suppose you are given a tank in your at-start forces, and it is a dug-in tank. D9.54 says it "is treated as an Armored Cupola except as stated otherwise." This would initially lead me to believe it would be set up using a BU TCA counter as per D9.5. However, the last sentence of D9.54 says "Place a Vehicle Crest counter (from WEST OF ALAMEIN) on the AFV to show its Dug-In status." This implies that you must use the AFV counter itself rather than a BU TCA counter. I'm pretty confident that's correct but would be interested to hear definitively. If so, it's a bit of a shame because it would give away some information, whereas a BU TCA counter under concealment would be harder to detect as an AFV. Thoughts?

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's right. You use the AFV counter. As you wrote, D9.54 states quite clearly, that a dug in tank is treated as an armored cupola except as states otherwise. All rules in D9.54, therefore replace any relevant rules in D9.5-9.53

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you posses VotG you may use the "Dug-in" tank turret counters as well as an exception to using the vehicle crest counters.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
With no SSR all info about dug-in AFVs must be available even if using a TCA counter.

nathan brown

Infrequent Flyer
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Cant you buy AFV HIP in RB (/RF) and VOTG and hide the dug in AFV JRV that you bought for cheap??

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Cant you buy AFV HIP in RB (/RF) and VOTG and hide the dug in AFV JRV that you bought for cheap??
Per O11.6194(c) a dug-in AFV can set up HIP by purchasing the HIP separately. I assume VotG has a similar rule, but I have not verified.

JR