BG Counters 40:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've posted 31-39 in the Designers forum. Can I ask you to have a look and comment with recommended changes. Now onto the American new guys.
45a M30 Cargo:
The M30 is essentially an M12 (U.S. Vehicle Note 45) with the ordnance removed in favor of storage room in the back. The M12 GMC had limited space for ammunition storage and could only carry ten rounds along with propellant charges, so the decision was made to issue an ammunition carrier to each M12. The M30 was used not only to carry the extra ammunition but also the gun crew. For defense against aircraft and ground attack it had a ring mounted .50 M2HB installed at the rear.

See also U.S. Vehicle Note BG

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
59 M6 GMC:
The 37 mm Gun Motor Carriage (GMC) M6 was a modified 3/4-ton 4×4 Dodge WC52 truck (U.S. Vehicle Note 55) with a rear-facing 37 mm M3 gun mounted in its bed (en portee) and designated WC55. When the 1st Division, the "Big Red One", landed in Tunisia, North Africa for Operation Torch. Two units used them, the 601st and 701st Tank Destroyer Battalions, until early 1943.
† The MA may neither Bounding (First)Fire nor fire at targets within the Vehicles Covered Arc as indicated by "*VCA:Dd(F) NA" on the counter.
† If this vehicle is equipped with the optional AAMG, that MG may not fire at non-aerial targets within the vehicles Rear Covered Arc as indicated by "*MMG; NA RVCA" on the counter.
See also U.S. Vehicle Note O & BG

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
60 M39 Utility:
The M39 was originally designed as a prime mover for the 3-inch Gun M5 (U.S. Ordnance Note 8). Approximately 650 (640 utility/APC variants, 10 command and reconnaissance) were modified from M18 chassis between October 1944 and March 1945.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
60 M29 Weasel:
In 1942, the American Studebaker company answered a call for an armoured vehicle capable of traversing deep Norwegian snow drifts for special forces operations. The vehicle became the M29 Weasel. The M29 could traverse the hardest of terrains where wheeled vehicles could not go and saw service through the Second World War, the Korean War, the Vietnam War and saw use in the civilian sector.
The M29 was operated by one driver and could carry three passengers. The driver was positioned in the front left with the engine compartment to his right and a row of three seats in the rear for the passengers. Though officially an unarmed vehicle, Browning M1919 .30 cal or .50 cal M2HB Machine Guns were often mounted for some form of offensive/defensive capability.
9165916691679168The M29C was the main variant of the Weasel. The M29 was already partly amphibious, able to traverse shallow and calm waters such as rivers and streams, but could not operate in rough, sea like waters. The M29C amended this issue, with the addition of buoyancy aids in the rear of the hull as well as two rudders. Removable pontoons were also added to the front and rear and changes were made to the treads of the track links to allow it to propel itself in water, although it was very slow. This still didn’t make the M29 capable of seaborne amphibious landings, but allowed to be more stable in deeper or slightly rougher inland waters.The United States used the vehicle extensively during World War Two. It was used in Italy, the Western Front, and even in the Pacific. It saw action during the Normandy landings, St. Lo, and the Battle of the Bulge. It proved its usefulness at the engagements on the Ruhr and Rhine, where it was able to cross the thick, sticky river mud. In the Pacific, it was used by the United States Marine Corps (USMC) at Iwo Jima and Okinawa, where it proved capable of crossing loose sand, and the harsh tropical island terrain where the Marine Corps’ jeeps wouldn’t dare venture.The use of the M29 Weasel as a universal vehicle soon became clear to the Americans. They used it regularly as a light troop carrier and cargo hauler, and also as a mobile command center, ambulance, and to lay telegraph wires. One of its major attributes was its ability to cross minefields, as its low-ground pressure was often not enough to trigger the anti-tank mines. The ground pressure was still more than enough to trigger anti personnel mines which could easily split a rubber track.See also U.S. Vehicle Note BG

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The 37 mm Gun Motor Carriage (GMC) M6 was a modified 3/4-ton 4×4 Dodge WC52 truck (U.S. Vehicle Note 55) with a rear-facing 37 mm M3 gun mounted in its bed (en portee) and designated WC55.
The M6 did not carry the gun en portee. An en portee gun is not fixed to the carrier and can be dismounted and used normally, typically being able to unload very quickly.

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The M6 did not carry the gun en portee. An en portee gun is not fixed to the carrier and can be dismounted and used normally, typically being able to unload very quickly.

JR
Do you know if the gun coukd be dismounted? My search had it bring called carried en portee but I failed to discover how it was used.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Do you know if the gun coukd be dismounted? My search had it bring called carried en portee but I failed to discover how it was used.
wikipedia has the cryptic link to "portee" in its article, but I don't believe the gun on the M6 could be dismounted nor had a carriage. Various articles refer to the gun being removed after the vehicle was determined to be obsolete, and that would not be necessary if it wasn't permanently mounted.

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've posted 31-39 in the Designers forum. Can I ask you to have a look and comment with recommended changes. Now onto the American new guys.
View attachment 9153View attachment 9154
45a M30 Cargo:
The M30 is essentially an M12 (U.S. Vehicle Note 45) with the ordnance removed in favor of storage room in the back. The M12 GMC had limited space for ammunition storage and could only carry ten rounds along with propellant charges, so the decision was made to issue an ammunition carrier to each M12. The M30 was used not only to carry the extra ammunition but also the gun crew. For defense against aircraft and ground attack it had a ring mounted .50 M2HB installed at the rear.

"...was essentially...in the rear...with their propellant charges...for each M12.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 9155View attachment 9156View attachment 9157View attachment 9158
59 M6 GMC:
The 37 mm Gun Motor Carriage (GMC) M6 was a modified 3/4-ton 4×4 Dodge WC52 truck (U.S. Vehicle Note 55) with a rear-facing 37 mm M3 gun mounted in its bed (en portee) and designated WC55. When the 1st Division, the "Big Red One", landed in Tunisia, North Africa for Operation Torch. Two units used them, the 601st and 701st Tank Destroyer Battalions, until early 1943.
† The MA may neither Bounding (First)Fire nor fire at targets within the Vehicles Covered Arc as indicated by "*VCA:Dd(F) NA" on the counter.
† If this vehicle is equipped with the optional AAMG, that MG may not fire at non-aerial targets within the vehicles Rear Covered Arc as indicated by "*MMG; NA RVCA" on the counter.
37mm (delete the space)...landed," (comma goes inside quote)..."Operation Torch" quotes proper name

...Vehicle's Covered ARC...

RECOMMEND you have your kids proof read for you! Seeing they both know the difference between Motion Fire, Moving, Non-Stopped Fire etc., and the laws on Intensive Fire...I think they can easily spot when dad has failed to use the possessive or the proper 'past' tense in which notes should be written in. This might also prove a "chore" for them for which they can earn pin money...or other household credits...

Last edited:

mharviala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While the M6 could fire the MA in the VCA, for game's sake I'd recommend prohibiting it.

In practice, it was discouraged, and to set rules that it can Prep toward the VCA, but not Bounding fire seems silly. Here's how I see it working in a game: It needs to park with its rear to the enemy to take an advancing fire shot for ACQ, pivot VCA to enemy with it's unused AAMG shot so it can fire through VCA in Defensive Fire and continue advance in the following turn.

If you want to abstract the restricted fire through VCA, just give it an additional +1TH through that arc if allowed, but preferably just prohibit it.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
While the M6 could fire the MA in the VCA, for game's sake I'd recommend prohibiting it.

In practice, it was discouraged, and to set rules that it can Prep toward the VCA, but not Bounding fire seems silly. Here's how I see it working in a game: It needs to park with its rear to the enemy to take an advancing fire shot for ACQ, pivot VCA to enemy with it's unused AAMG shot so it can fire through VCA in Defensive Fire and continue advance in the following turn.

If you want to abstract the restricted fire through VCA, just give it an additional +1TH through that arc if allowed, but preferably just prohibit it.
It is already prohibited. Fire through VAC and B(F)F are N.A..

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"...was essentially...in the rear...with their propellant charges...for each M12.
Not certain which "propellant charges" would be correct. My understanding is that the howitzer would use multiple propellant charges depending on the range of the target. Although it must be stated, my understanding of artillery is pretty darn poor.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
37mm (delete the space)...landed," (comma goes inside quote)..."Operation Torch" quotes proper name

...Vehicle's Covered ARC...

RECOMMEND you have your kids proof read for you! Seeing they both know the difference between Motion Fire, Moving, Non-Stopped Fire etc., and the laws on Intensive Fire...I think they can easily spot when dad has failed to use the possessive or the proper 'past' tense in which notes should be written in. This might also prove a "chore" for them for which they can earn pin money...or other household credits...
The proper names of Operations are not routinely placed in inverted commas in Chapter H. Given the "Big Red One" is in quotation marks, I do not think the comma should join them in there. Stylistic differences.
Found out why I was getting a smilie face. Id put : D(F) rathere than :B(F)F.

59 M6 GMC:
The 37mm Gun Motor Carriage (GMC) M6 was a modified 3/4-ton 4×4 Dodge WC52 truck (U.S. Vehicle Note 55) with a rear-facing 37 mm M3 gun mounted in its bed (en portee) and designated WC55. When the 1st Division, the "Big Red One", landed in Tunisia, North Africa for Operation Torch. Two units used them, the 601st and 701st Tank Destroyer Battalions, until early 1943.
† The MA may neither Bounding (First) Fire nor fire at targets within the Vehicles Covered Arc as indicated by "*VCA:Bd(F)F NA" on the counter.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There are a whole slew of US counters which are just FT equipped tanks. I'm not going to put the vehicle notes up for them apart form this example.

3a M3A1 BF:
M3A1 (American Vehicle Note 3) with Bow mounted Flamethrower as per U.S Vehicle Note F.

See also U.S. Vehicle Notes C, F, G, N & BG

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The proper names of Operations are not routinely placed in inverted commas in Chapter H. Given the "Big Red One" is in quotation marks, I do not think the comma should join them in there. Stylistic differences.
Found out why I was getting a smilie face. Id put : D(F) rathere than :B(F)F.

59 M6 GMC:
The 37mm Gun Motor Carriage (GMC) M6 was a modified 3/4-ton 4×4 Dodge WC52 truck (U.S. Vehicle Note 55) with a rear-facing 37 mm M3 gun mounted in its bed (en portee) and designated WC55. When the 1st Division, the "Big Red One", landed in Tunisia, North Africa for Operation Torch. Two units used them, the 601st and 701st Tank Destroyer Battalions, until early 1943.
† The MA may neither Bounding (First) Fire nor fire at targets within the Vehicles Covered Arc as indicated by "*VCA:Bd(F)F NA" on the counter.
I still agree with JRV that the 37mm was not carried en portee but was a fixed mount inherent weapon system. From the few pics I've seen of them and from their use in North Africa it is pretty certain there was no effort to ever have them dismounted from the vehicle and fired as a standard ground mount AT gun.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I still agree with JRV that the 37mm was not carried en portee but was a fixed mount inherent weapon system. From the few pics I've seen of them and from their use in North Africa it is pretty certain there was no effort to ever have them dismounted from the vehicle and fired as a standard ground mount AT gun.
So drop the (en portee)? Will do.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That others failed their grammar / syntax does not mean you should, there should be quotes or be in italics.
Commas go inside quotation marks on this side of the pond...your side wishes them to remain outside.