Missing Counter Series: TCA markers with change DRM

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
When TCA changes for one weapon as it fires in the PFPh, enemy MPh & DFPh, and AFPh, the TCA change DRM applies to that attack (of course), but also the TCA DRM still potentially applies to other turret mounted weapons. The players have to remember which vehicles have changed their TCA and how much: terrible, terrible. It's no wonder you can't get new players into the game.

Wouldn't it be convenient if the TCA counter had that information on it. Here I show two mocked-up TCA counters with the DRM and the weapon it applies to shown on the counter.

They really should be in both purple and orange, of course, because the counters should be removed (and replaced with a neutral CA marker) at the end of the DFPh for the DEFENDER and at the end of the PFPh or AFPh for the ATTACKER. No more remembering: wonderful, wonderful! New players will flock to the game.

JR

previous in series

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So just to ensure I understand the intention, if I spin my turret 1 hex spine and fire my MA, I place the "+1 MG" version of the counter?

If so, I'm ready to recruit several dozens of new players.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So just to ensure I understand the intention, if I spin my turret 1 hex spine and fire my MA, I place the "+1 MG" version of the counter?

If so, I'm ready to recruit several dozens of new players.
You have the basic gist, but even for a single spine change which DRM you would choose depends on the vehicle. If you turned a ST/RST turret you would choose a +2 counter. If you changed the TCA on a KV-2, you would choose the +3 DRM counter. You also have to consider TCA DRM doubling for being in woods, building, rubble and so on.

JR

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You have the basic gist, but even for a single spine change which DRM you would choose depends on the vehicle. If you turned a ST/RST turret you would choose a +2 counter. If you changed the TCA on a KV-2, you would choose the +3 DRM counter. You also have to consider TCA DRM doubling for being in woods, building, rubble and so on.

JR
This would make Ollie happy

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm just mentally counting the number of variants I need to add to my "print your own" tank-specific turret sets ...

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

JR
So the permutations would be MA/MG, and 1/2/3/4/6?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So the permutations would be MA/MG, and 1/2/3/4/6?
That doesn't cover all possibilities. For instance a KV-2 changing its TCA three spines while in a woods would be subject to (+3 +1 +1) x 2 for a +10 CA change DRM. Also there are certain vehicles that can't change TCA through certain CAs, e.g. the American POA-CWS-H1 (American vehicle note 21), so in order to change TCA it may have to change TCA up to five spines to get to the new direction. Right now the maximum DRM I know of is +10. I don't know if there any vehicles with TCA limits and ST, RST, or "NT turret," but if there are the potential DRM would go higher. At a certain point it may not be useful to cover those possibilities or to use "6+" or something else. I don't think all values are possible, e.g. I don't think +7 and +9 are possible, but I could be wrong.

There are also certain vehicles with a turret-mounted SA rather than a MG, e.g. POA-CWS-H5. You could have separate counters for that too, or you could just let the player make do.

JR

Last edited:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, excellent points. I like the idea of 1,2,3,4,5,6+ (or maybe "Forgetaboutit" instead of "6+") which can be put on 3 counters.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Any idea why the POA CWS Sherman can't change TCA through the rear hull? Just out of interest.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this is an interesting and probably useful counter if it is kept within reason of practicality. Specific weapon fired counters are already available and are already used in conjunction with standard turret counters. Though I like the idea of combining Prep/ DF into the turret turn it gets to be unmanageable and would take too long to find the one needed in a tray.

Just make this a reminder that the '+' still applies. A simple +1, +2, +3 would do it. BU/CE side. Maybe a few NT versions. Should be easy enough to remember additional penalty mods , such as double in woods, etc.

For the least quantity needed make them white. Though I do prefer the generic nationality colored turrets. Doing colored would still keep it to a half sheet. And really only need a couple of each '+' because they won't be needed for every vehicle in a scenario all the time. If someone wants a whole bunch they could just buy several sets.

Seth

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Any idea why the POA CWS Sherman can't change TCA through the rear hull? Just out of interest.
I don't know for sure, but the FT fires out the turret barrel, and it seems likely that the FT fuel tanks are mounted to the hull and linked inside the vehicle using hoses. If you 360° the turret, those hoses are going to be a twisted mess.

JR

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FYI, here's what I came up with for my own use. I didn't go with a turret depiction since I have all my vehicle-specific turret counters and modeled them off the new weapon-specific First-Fire counters. I also wasn't sure how to clearly depict a DRM of "+6+" which looks kind of silly.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would place a small die (d6 or d10) next to the vehicle, to indicate the positive CA DRM modifiers.
That would save some trees (or a branch, or a twig).

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I need the same for VCA changes. And AAMG changes. And changes in building/woods showing I cannot make further CA changes to my gun.

I also have lots of money and not much of a life. Please help me immediately.

chavez

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I would place a small die (d6 or d10) next to the vehicle, to indicate the positive CA DRM modifiers.
I usually do this for most games I play. In ASL I often use a D20 to track MP.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I usually do this for most games I play. In ASL I often use a D20 to track MP.
I do that too.
I think that, unless one is playing with a very large number of tanks, where one may partially fire a number of tanks before firing again with the first ones, memory works.
Or a little die to indicate the DRM - or a small handwritten post-it...
I am not convinced by adding a large number of markers to adress infrequent situations - you need to find a new place to store them somewhere...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
...And leave a sheet of unpunched counters in the box!? Who can withstand the urge to clip?!!
Um… me? How can you use the counters as ninja stars if you clip them? If you try, other ninja will just laugh.

JR