Are you sick of Korea already?

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Well said. Particularly the vagina pain line. You sound like me trying to convince people to play caves.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Well said. Particularly the vagina pain line. You sound like me trying to convince people to play caves.
Caves and Korea both have the same problem IMHO, as do a number of other rules groups (beach landings, paratroops, aircraft, night, DTO, Goliaths, etc.). They require learning a fair amount of rules that once you complete the current scenario you probably won't use again for quite a while, and so will forget them and have to learn them all over again. Some players find that to be a good reason to avoid those rules groups. The effort isn't worth the gain in their view. I personally find that for the most part I retain the rules for the most part and only need a light brush-up to be able to play (EXC: FW IPM exceptions, hence we need a new counter).

JR

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Caves and Korea both have the same problem IMHO, as do a number of other rules groups (beach landings, paratroops, aircraft, night, DTO, Goliaths, etc.). They require learning a fair amount of rules that once you complete the current scenario you probably won't use again for quite a while, and so will forget them and have to learn them all over again. Some players find that to be a good reason to avoid those rules groups. The effort isn't worth the gain in their view. I personally find that for the most part I retain the rules for the most part and only need a light brush-up to be able to play (EXC: FW IPM exceptions, hence we need a new counter).

JR
I would not put all these sets of rules in the same basket. PTO showed that it was possible to devise a set of elegant rules (yes, elegant :)) that were adopted by a lot of players as quasi-core rules (EXC: caves&seabourne assaults). Korea rules are not overly complex, the jury is still out whether they are fun to play. The Schwerpunkt release will be decisive in this regard.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I personally find that for the most part I retain the rules for the most part and only need a light brush-up to be able to play. JR
Right, spoken like a Jewish scholar of the Tanak given your status as one of the "go to" guys for rules questions! :)

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would not put all these sets of rules in the same basket. PTO showed that it was possible to devise a set of elegant rules (yes, elegant :)) that were adopted by a lot of players as quasi-core rules (EXC: caves&seabourne assaults). Korea rules are not overly complex, the jury is still out whether they are fun to play. The Schwerpunkt release will be decisive in this regard.
I do not think that the SP release will be the decisive factor. It will be wonderful to have these scenario published, don't get me wrong. But they will not decide the fate of FW.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I do not think that the SP release will be the decisive factor. It will be wonderful to have these scenario published, don't get me wrong. But they will not decide the fate of FW.
Given that there would be neither Friendly Fire nor DTF releases this year at ASLOK, i would expect this Schwerpunkt release to be high on the playing agenda. Unless of course MMP steals the show with a new product.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Given that there would be neither Friendly Fire nor DTF releases this year at ASLOK, i would expect this Schwerpunkt release to be high on the playing agenda. Unless of course MMP steals the show with a new product.
Thunder stolen: PTOSK!

JR

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep, tired of the Korean scenarios after playing about 50% of them.

Rich

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That may will be true...it does not make the release the "decisive" as to FW.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm certainly looking forward to scenarios involving the Royal Marine commandos, ROK marines, and the 'other', non-U.S. UN forces.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Missed a huge boat here, by not introducing Medic counters with FW. SMCs for "H Pierce", "T John", and "M Houlihan" would have been much appreciated.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

JR

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He's resting. Remarkable equine, the Norwegian Blue.

JR
'E's not pinin' for the fjords! 'E's passed on! This horse is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-HORSE!!

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am only getting started with Korea. I absolutely love the Steep Hills rules. I look forward to an ASL player doing a feature write up on the nuances of these rules. They have added new twists to this old game, and in my opinion of course, have brought in a more realistic approach to depicting fighting in mountains as opposed to hills. Seeing some higher mountain boards with higher levels would be interesting.
Then add slopes to these...